GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 07:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some SUL flying using Norm's Straps...  (Read 1587 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: December 04, 2012, 04:28 AM »

I thought I'd share some of my flying from last weekend. Just some messing around, there's no Virtual Freestyle contest to get footage for, so I'm just working on getting control over the kite. Oh, and my one new trick for 2012, the backspin cascade. Still a work in progress, as with everything. It seems that I got in a lot of the footage as well, which helps me see what I'm doing wrong.
You can't see too well, but I'm using a pair of Norm's Straps (2 finger) on 65' lines. They are perfect for low wind flying, keep the lines in the right place and are super comfortable. Thanks for making such great straps, Norm !

I hope a few of you can see my inputs for some of the tricks & maybe it will help, and maybe some of you who know better can give me some suggestions... my flying has hit a glass ceiling and the only progress I have is cleaning up my flying.

Be warned... this is a long video, but I did post it in HD (full screen it...) with some nice mellow music to set the mood. Hope you enjoy.

~Rob.

Flying the Fearless Tattoo SUL.... December 2012
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:30 AM by RobB » Logged

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 04:56 AM »

Very pretty Rob. Your framing of the video is gorgeous with the beach, fog and building. Nice flying.

What kind of kite were you flying? Sorry, but I'm not as knowledgeable with all of the styles. Looked like one of Lam's kites. Tha trocky beach made me a little nervous, but thank goodness that's up to your skills and  not mine.    Grin
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:16 AM »

What kind of kite were you flying?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
ko

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 06:33 AM »

great seeing you getting along so well with the Tat Rob. The rising fades and for sure your 540's are SWEET. I will work on my backspin cascade more after this Thanks for sharing NOTHING LIKE SAND for flying LOL

have fun kurt
Tmadz

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:38 AM »

Sorry Mike. I was distracted at the beginning of the video.
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 07:44 AM »

"To err is human; to forgive, divine"
Alexander Pope

You're forgiven  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 08:10 AM »

I think it's the California Cheese straps that makes hima great flyer.  I gotta learn to Fade for hours... Those Cheese Straps look good.

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 10:00 AM »

do the tricks come automatically when i can hold my hands at my side?  feels so unnatural to me. I have to plan a minute in advance to get my arms behind me like that

DANG DARKSIDERS!

nice vid!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 12:35 PM »

Nice Rob!  Smiley

I think working on smoothness is always worth it.  Repeatability goes hand in hand with it as well. 

Looking good.

Tom
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 01:28 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 01:17 PM »

Wooooooooooowwwwww.....
 Shocked   Huh   Shocked   Huh

I wished could do that with that smoothness... Well done!

Now, comment to all those that told me that flying an SUL was something completely different from an STD or a UL and that they didn't recommend me buying an SUL thinking I would fly doing tricks as with the other two... etc, etc, etc.
As far as I can see, this video shows that an SUL can do exactly the same as a UL or even an STD...

So what do you guys have to say now?
And more importantly (since you are the pilot that has revealed this to me) Rob, what can you tell me about the differences YOU find?

Cheers.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 05:53 PM »

Nice Rob!
I'm usually not that patient, especially with a kite that has extra mass due to fog.
I shall endeavor to emulate your skill.

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
RobB

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 07:21 PM »

Nice Rob!
I'm usually not that patient, especially with a kite that has extra mass due to fog.
I shall endeavor to emulate your skill.

Jim

Nice Rob! 

I think working on smoothness is always worth it.  Repeatability goes hand in hand with it as well. 

Looking good.

Tom

Hey Tom & Jim... it's the two of you that convinced me to buy this kite, so a big THANK YOU shout out ! It's only taken me 3 years of flying it to get used to its ways... As far as the weight thing, I was flying it with the 2pt spreaders installed on shorty 65' lines. I thought polyester didn't absorb moisture, anyway (?)

Wooooooooooowwwwww.....
 Shocked   Huh   Shocked   Huh

I wished could do that with that smoothness... Well done!

Now, comment to all those that told me that flying an SUL was something completely different from an STD or a UL and that they didn't recommend me buying an SUL thinking I would fly doing tricks as with the other two... etc, etc, etc.
As far as I can see, this video shows that an SUL can do exactly the same as a UL or even an STD...

So what do you guys have to say now?
And more importantly (since you are the pilot that has revealed this to me) Rob, what can you tell me about the differences YOU find?

Cheers.

Thanks, Ara. I will credit the kite, mostly. I have a number of other SUL kites that I can't get as much out of. Lam's kites are the only SULs I have that can do all the tricks I know. Also, I have been flying this kite for a little over 3 years, so I've gotten pretty used to it. The lack of mass was a huge challenge when I first got it, and I had real trouble with Backflips (getting stuck in the turtle position), Flic-Flacks and Jacob's Ladders. I still do. Once you learn to do your tricks on an SUL kite, it's much easier to do them flying a standard. Also, you might notice that I didn't roll the kite up once in this video. A single pop yoyo can be done on this kite, but my success rate is less than 50%, so I avoid it.

do the tricks come automatically when i can hold my hands at my side?  feels so unnatural to me. I have to plan a minute in advance to get my arms behind me like that
DANG DARKSIDERS!
nice vid!

Hey Trigger, the FL flies with wrist motions, so I try to keep my arms where I can give as much slack or pull when needed. It cuts down a little on the footwork.  Wink

Rob
  I can honestly say I've never watched a kite video posted in here that was over 8 minutes long until today. I particularly liked the single backspins and catch in fade. It shows excellent line control.  Grin
I think it's the California Cheese straps that makes hima great flyer.  I gotta learn to Fade for hours... Those Cheese Straps look good.
The two-finger straps provide excellent line control, and the material of the 'Norm Straps' just makes them a joy to hold compared to the hard, scratchy material of most straps. Good straps, good line, and a good kite. It's all important !

NOTHING LIKE SAND for flying LOL
Tha trocky beach made me a little nervous,
Our beach has gotten a lot sandier after the hurricane. It's now twice as wide, and most of the rocks are gone ! Yes, it used to be mostly rocks....

Glad you all enjoyed some New York flying. The beach might not be that great, but the wind is 5 days out of 7.  Grin

bigwheels

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 08:53 PM »

With your skill & delicate touch & the Tatoos deep turtle, the drop & release roll up is a sure thing. Fly up a bit, push forward to drop into a turtle. Just as it reaches horizontal or a tad before, tension the lines for a couple of milliseconds, release & step forward & it will roll up. If you have Lam's sky claws you can keep repeating & get 3 or 4 wraps. It is a real jaw dropper when you do it from a launch like you are going to do a Flap Jack. So close to the ground.
RobB

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 04:26 AM »

With your skill & delicate touch & the Tatoos deep turtle, the drop & release roll up is a sure thing. Fly up a bit, push forward to drop into a turtle. Just as it reaches horizontal or a tad before, tension the lines for a couple of milliseconds, release & step forward & it will roll up. If you have Lam's sky claws you can keep repeating & get 3 or 4 wraps. It is a real jaw dropper when you do it from a launch like you are going to do a Flap Jack. So close to the ground.

Hey BW, I've had some success with the double pop roll up on the kite, but I'll have to try it the way you describe. This kite doesn't have the Skyclaws, but my new SeaDevil SUL does. I'll try it with both, see how it goes. Thanks !

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change