GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 01:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Fearless kite or kites owners here in this GWTW forum ?  (Read 4122 times)
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 10:01 PM »

The Fearless SUL Tattoo is a version Lam makes that eliminates the seams. This is supposed to give it an even lower bottom wind range. The kite still has the Fearless design pattern on the sail which is a series of holes poked through the material = the Tattoo. I guess it's more of a Super SUL or SSUL if you will. Last year, Lam let me try a SUL in very low winds and it was a black SUL Tattoo version. I was hooked and I decided to buy one & get the lower wind capabilities of the Tattoo too.

The only problem is that now I want a Fearless light.

Peace

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 01:31 AM »

Four, no two alike.

Are you holding out? Last time I saw your bag, you only had three.

Jay
jaybett

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 01:48 AM »

The Fearless SUL Tattoo is a version Lam makes that eliminates the seams. This is supposed to give it an even lower bottom wind range. The kite still has the Fearless design pattern on the sail which is a series of holes poked through the material = the Tattoo. I guess it's more of a Super SUL or SSUL if you will. Last year, Lam let me try a SUL in very low winds and it was a black SUL Tattoo version. I was hooked and I decided to buy one & get the lower wind capabilities of the Tattoo too.

The only problem is that now I want a Fearless light.

Peace

My understanding is that the Tattoo came about because it was a mistake. Sherrell aka Big Wheels, paid Lam a visit, as he was making a Fearless. Lam had put the wrong colors on a Fearless and was taking off a  section. Lam held the kite up to the window and Sherrell thought the light coming through the holes was a neat effect. One thing led to another and Sherrell ordered the first Tattoo.

The Super Sul Fearless is another kite all together. The idea originated from Sherrell who wanted a kite that could fly in lower winds then the Sul. Working with Sherrell, Lam came up with a modified sail, that allowed the S Fearless to fly in very low winds. I flew Sherrell's S Fearless and immediately wanted one. As far as I know, there are only 3 S Fearless, that have been made.

Sherrell has worked with Lam on a number of refinements to the Fearless. Besides Lam, nobody knows more about a Fearless then Sherrell.

Jay
Dolphinboy

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 09:52 AM »

My understanding is that the Tattoo came about because it was a mistake.

Well I don't know the original origin of the Fearless Tattoo I only know what Lam told me about the lower wind capabilities of the tattoo sail. The SSUL statement was just my musing and not anything Lam told me. The frame on mine is different than a regular F SUL though and the entire kite was optimized for the lowest winds possible. If he makes one for even lower wind, he didn't mention it to me.

This kite was one of Lam's personal kites. He couldn't get to my order for three months and offered this one so I wouldn't have to wait. At the time, our lowest wind season was coming soon so I took it.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
jaybett

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 10:46 AM »

The frame on mine is different than a regular F SUL though and the entire kite was optimized for the lowest winds possible. If he makes one for even lower wind, he didn't mention it to me.

The frame on my Fearless SUL is also different, then a standard Fearless SUL. In my case I know it's because of Sherrell. He wanted an SUL that would fly in the lightest winds. The Fearless Tattoo was the first SUL. Lam and Sherrell refined it for weeks before they were both happy with it. Lam did all the work. Sherrell helped evaluate the refinements and offered his own suggestions.

The Fearless SUL didn't fly in, light enough winds, so Sherrell talked Lam into making a Super SUL. I don't know if Lam, ever offered it, to the general public. I only knew about it, because Sherrell was flying his one day at our local field. I tried it, liked it, and ordered one.

I've gotten a number of compliments on the kite. Because it will fly, when nothing else will, including the Fearless SUL. It is remarkably tricky, in the lightest of winds.

Jay

glider
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 12:03 PM »

I have an awesome blue SUL.
Dave

cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 05:58 AM »

I have an awesome blue SUL.
Dave

I would love to see a foto or two of your Blue SUL.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 10:37 AM »

The Fearless SUL didn't fly in, light enough winds, so Sherrell talked Lam into making a Super SUL. I don't know if Lam, ever offered it, to the general public.
Jay

The Fearless S-SUL is offerd to the public for sale.

Rx
bigwheels
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 01:12 PM »

Jay: While the cat's away the mice will play.  SS
Dolphinboy

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 06:17 PM »

I'd like to see more pictures from all of you Fearless owners.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 11:35 PM »

Here are a few - not all mine.

[attachment deleted by admin]

6 kite tom
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 11:38 PM »

another one

[attachment deleted by admin]

6 kite tom
Dolphinboy

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 08:21 PM »

I like the look of that yellow Fearless.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography