GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 09:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese fishing line for kites?  (Read 1336 times)
cprstn54
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 06, 2012, 01:14 PM »

Just bought 300M of 90lb fishing dyneema from China on eBay (Item #180904766591) for 10% of the cost of LPG, namely $12 delivered. Looks OK, if a little harder.

Anyone try this stuff for fly lines yet?

Ken C
Hadge

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 01:47 PM »

Hmmmm...doesn't really work very well.  A couple of folks over here have tried similar stuff and found that although it didn't seem to stretch when they made the line set up, if flight it stretched horribly and tangled up far too easily.  You might get away with it on something like an indoor kite, but anything with any sort of real pull is probably going to make a mess of it.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Craig

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 02:20 PM »

Life's too short to use cheap line!
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:42 PM »

I do use fishing lines for my light wind lines, and they work like a charm.
Of course good quality ones aren't that cheap either.
I use powerpro hollow ace because it can be spliced and powerpro slick for my spectres because its like the lightest line on the market and still be good. A 8-braid with 20lbs.
kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 06:14 PM »

friends don"t let friends fly.....junk! Cheesy
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 11:10 AM »

Save 10% on the lines...but lose 40% of the performance on your kite.  Junk is junk. 

It's not the materials that are used that make kite line what it is, it's how those materials are put together that makes it good.

Rubber bicycle tires are hundreds of dollars cheaper than Z rated radials for your motorcycle...but they perform like crap...even though they are both made out of rubber.  It's not the material, its how its put together.  The braiding processes of fishing line is not even close to the braiding processes of kite line.  Just like the high quality motorcycle tires are not laminated up like the bicycle tire.

I agree - friends don't let friends fly on junk!  And really.....10% on a $50 dollar lineset is what....$5 bucks??? Really? And the $50.00 lineset is already made up, pre-stretched, sleeved and hand tied on a winder!!! You'll purchase a $200 plus sport kite and then skimp on 5 bucks for a crappy set of lines without a winder that you have to make up yourself?  Oh, and the pre-made sets are Spectra line from either LPG or Shanti - not Dyneema......

Doesn't make much sense to me..........
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:14 AM by Gamelord » Logged

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 01:27 PM »

ummm... the cost was 10% of Kite Line, or $5 verses $50.

But Kent does point out that although the material is the same, the braiding process is different which results in more "Creep" as others have also pointed out. In fishing you don't have a sustained pull and you'll never notice that the line has gotten a few inches longer after hauling in a whopper.

If you have the room run a double length out and prestretch it with a truckers rubber bungee or a weight for a day, maybe you can get the creep out. Another problem as ae pointed out though, the line he has used is a hollow braid which could allow the line to be a bit springy as that type of braid could open and close as tension changes like chinese finger cuffs do. In his use for his USSUL's that probably isn't an issue. I've never really checked but I suspect that kite line uses a cross or locked braid so this doesn't happen.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:30 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 01:59 PM »

I am in agreement with Gamelord. Line is not a place to cut corners, based on my past experience   Sad

Your flying limit is set by your weakest link in your equipment. Flying a $300 kite on $5 line, will quickly reveal how the line limits the preformance of the $300 kite.    Embarrassed   
To extend the point upgrading to a $500 kite, you hit the same limit with the lines, wasting the new kites potental.  Cry

Better to invest in a $250 kite & $50 line.  Grin

I got my savings by getting a 1000' spool, Now I have line in several lenghts   Grin

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 07:31 AM »

sounds like it would be great for an active single line kite though....low drag.....thin....light.....who cares about stretch....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
SparkieRob

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 11:51 PM »

I used to fly a SLK octopus from fishing line straight off the rod! But that was a $5 kite on $20 line!

Tapatalk for iPhone.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, the are kites.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 04:52 AM »

Its real easy to pick the right line. Are you fishing or flying a kite ? Choose accordingly.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 08:07 AM »

The good news is now you are all set for a new hobby - Fishing.
FISH ON!
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 11:06 PM »

The good news is now you are all set for a new hobby - Fishing.
FISH ON!

Quick, somebody get the net  Grin

Anthony
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography