GWTW Forum
September 19, 2014, 09:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AVFFF "Trick Challenge" Now CLOSED  (Read 24561 times)
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 08:09 PM »

Kind of like claiming a hole in one all by yourself, but I did it before Thanksgiving on Treasure Island.  Now if only I could get my wife to video for me!  She doesn't golf either, so I'm without a hole in one as well!!
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 09:31 PM »

Now if only I could get my wife to video for me! 
With a contraption like this you won't need your wife's help.

With a contraption like that, my wife would stay at home.  Cheesy

Joe you have the right equipment

Norm,
you demo the AAFFF on both the Talon UL and WM UL, since I have both, my only excuse if a lack of talent.  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy    Huh    Cry

Joe your Ocius will roll up faster than the WM so you have a choice of speed vs control. Nice to have more than one weapon in your bag.   Wink

Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 03:59 AM »

Now if only I could get my wife to video for me! 
With a contraption like this you won't need your wife's help.

With a contraption like that my wife would not let me out of home...
... and my children would probably stop speaking to me...  Cheesy    Cheesy    Wink

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 02:05 PM »

Some guys seem to catch on a lot faster than others.  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Wink

Norm, again I learn from the master.  Wink
Charles P

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 11:03 PM »

Those Tatoo straps look pretty sweet!   Grin
  Sorry but I do not understand the joke (if their is one) but seriously, they look nice.  Do you have a set in a green/white or grey.    Or possibly a light blue/white or grey combination?
  Just asking in advance for when I nail the 4 AVFFF's!     Cheesy

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 04:07 AM »

what makes those tattooed?Huh

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Charles P

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 08:41 PM »

Aahh... The stitching!    Wink

In the bag,

red sweater

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 08:49 AM »

Since I will never be able to win these, I'm thinking of using my wife's sewing machine (which I have almost never touched) to turn a set of Prism straps into a resemblance of their Duo straps. I assume it's not that hard? Just fold them up and stitch it a few times?

What benefit are all those overhand knots on the leader? Do they help adjust for stretched lines or something?

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 08:58 AM »

Red Sweater go to REI and pick up about 3-4' of their 1" flat webbing (.40$/') or tubular webbing (more comfortable and cheaper at $.30/' little harder to sew since it is thicker though).....you can make a couple of sets that way for cheap...and you can customize them as you wish....
Cut with a razor blade then seal the edge up afterward with a flame to prevent fraying (hate when webbing frays!)....then you can loop that piece around until you find the loop configuration that you like the best (you could use a stapler to temporarily hold them in place......sew the ends together and any loopy parts where they touch....and for the end you can make a leader line out of their 2mm line or pick up a couple of plastic DRings there too and sew those into place.....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:00 AM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
red sweater

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 09:43 AM »

Since I will never be able to win these, I'm thinking of using my wife's sewing machine (which I have almost never touched) to turn a set of Prism straps into a resemblance of their Duo straps. I assume it's not that hard? Just fold them up and stitch it a few times?

What benefit are all those overhand knots on the leader? Do they help adjust for stretched lines or something?
Something like username: Winterdaze made? Yes, the four overhand knots are used for quick in-field line adjustments.

Yeah, like that. I knew I'd seen this idea implement in this forum, but didn't have the time right then to do a search.

I might try out the webbing, though. I'll have to see the material first hand to get an idea of whether it might work.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:46 AM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
Rev EXP
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 10:54 AM »

Yea !! Like everyone can paint like Picaso   Huh Huh Huh ... You guys don't get it.  Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed  Norm is a "Master".   Cool Cool  You don't try,attempt,duplicate,the Master.  Embarrassed Embarrassed  You only bear witness in Aaahhhhhh.  Huh Huh Huh Huh  Then beg the Master as I have for a pair or win em'  Cry Cry Cry Cry ... copyright,copyright,copyright.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
red sweater

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 08:07 AM »

Since I will never be able to win these,
What can I do to help you learn the trick to win a pair? Do you need a video of me showing the inputs only and not using the kite. I'll do what can to help you do the trick. If I can do the trick, it is not hard to do. You need to watch the video and in particular watch what I am doing. If you don't understand something then all you need to do is ask questions. Don't sell yourself short. Read all the tips I have posted. Good luck

Maybe I'm being too eeyore here. Thanks for being encouraging. I just don't get out to fly much, so naturally my skill level is slow to increase. I've had a Quantum for a few years, but only caught the trick bug last year, and so I got some better kites. But having our first kid made getting out of the house (for just about anything, let alone an activity only I enjoy, while my wife just passes the time) more difficult. Maybe I'll be able to do better this coming year, when it warms up again. Of course, I'm inland, too.

I have a long list of things I want to learn or improve, but right now, all I can do is axels and half axels (across my body -- I need to change that before I can try a cascade). I once held a fade for about 10 seconds. So there's that.

My bag:
Rev EXP
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 08:28 AM »

Arggggghhh! I'll never make it...  Cry

I just can't fade!
I'm currently really getting the hang of spin tricks: Axels, HalfAxels, Cascades, 540's, even today I tried the Taz and I got quite a few and on both sides!

But fade is sooooo difficult for me....

Norm, I know you told me I have the right tool (meaning the TalonUL), but I cannot get it to fade! Argh!!!!  Sad Angry
I can more or less get it to fade if I barely let it flare and then pull hard but the kite 99 out of 100 times bounces back down, exits the momentary fade and falls.
If I let the kite really pancake deep, then it likes to stay there and will not come out no matter how HARD I pop... *sigh*

So, if I can't fade, how can I flick flack. And if I can't flick flack, how can I ever get an AVFFF!

So keep my handles in the freeze so that they don't rot, 'cause I think it's going to take ages before I get it...  Sad

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Charles P

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 06:21 PM »

We are for sure on the same page and I'm sure you will be one of the four winners.  Cool  Grin
[/quote]

Norm, thanks for the vote of confidence, I guess we shall see. I'll be working hard on this trick given the opportunity but unfortunatly the weather here in Washington has other ideas!   Embarrassed

Ara, try the things Norm told you to do to get into the fade, if you are good at axles it may be easier for you to get into the fade mid axle. I have also experienced that some kites almost refuse to fade from a flare but those same kites easily fade from an axle.  Keep trying and good luck, I think we will both get this trick figured out eventually!    Lips sealed

In the bag,

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 08:36 PM »

Arggggghhh! I'll never make it...  Cry

I just can't fade!
I'm currently really getting the hang of spin tricks: Axels, HalfAxels, Cascades, 540's, even today I tried the Taz and I got quite a few and on both sides!

But fade is sooooo difficult for me....

Norm, I know you told me I have the right tool (meaning the TalonUL), but I cannot get it to fade! Argh!!!!  Sad Angry
I can more or less get it to fade if I barely let it flare and then pull hard but the kite 99 out of 100 times bounces back down, exits the momentary fade and falls.
If I let the kite really pancake deep, then it likes to stay there and will not come out no matter how HARD I pop... *sigh*

So, if I can't fade, how can I flick flack. And if I can't flick flack, how can I ever get an AVFFF!

So keep my handles in the freeze so that they don't rot, 'cause I think it's going to take ages before I get it...  Sad

So what you do here is STOP WORKING ON THE AVFF.  if you can't get a decent fade then you need to step back to the basics and forget ALL advanced tricks.  I spent most of the monthly fly helping someone with just that.  IF you can't fade, slide, stall and flic flac well then you really don't have the line control for anything more.  This trick needs a lot of line tension management to get right and the feel you need to hold and control a good fade is very important.  Work on fade launches, flare/fade, fade control and flic flacs first.  The catch of the nose and the line control to do that right as well as stabilize a fade if your a bit off in particular is what you need. You have to not only catch the fade but the reverse turtle as well and if your off on the line tension you will either  over rotate the turtle position or not catch the fade right going nose high or snapping out to a lawn dart.  Of course now that I know the feel of  it I just need to chain a bunch together in frame on vid Tongue 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document