GWTW Forum
April 21, 2014, 02:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AVFFF "Trick Challenge" Now CLOSED  (Read 20460 times)
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 07:15 PM »

Norm -

All the videos you posted in this thread (two?) fail on "private video" for me.

Larry
n893

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2013, 06:21 AM »

Amazing Vid...
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2013, 06:06 PM »

Sweet video with the helmet cam.
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2013, 03:57 AM »

If the wind speed is up....Do them higher in the wind window. Video is a bit shaky using a small video cam mounted on a baseball cap.

Darn, darn, darn! I need to get my fade act running to be able to start trying the AVFFF!

The other day at the beach I had an hour of soft but VERY regular wind.
I took my TalonUL out and started to practice fades.

I started them from the floor, belly up and letting the wind push the nose of the kite back. Then just a gentle pull and the kite was up in the air with a nice fade. Walk slowly back and control always the lower wing (by pulling the hand that is opposite) as the kite raised.

6 rising fades like that I could do!  Grin
From floor to very high up.

In three of them, when I had the fade high up, I pulled the kite by popping both lines to make a dip and go into a pancake (I didn't yet let the kite roll past that into the fade again as the AVFFF needs).
But once in the pancake I couldn't get the kite back out... argh! I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I pop the lines again to make the nose of the kite pop from pointing back to pointing towards me again. But the kite just refuses to move and it just turns oddly and ugly and out of any stable position back into lateral flying.

Anyway, slowly coming.... but so slowly that I'll be able to use my new Pulliam handles in my daycare residence...  Sad

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Hadge

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2013, 04:52 AM »

[/quote]

In three of them, when I had the fade high up, I pulled the kite by popping both lines to make a dip and go into a pancake (I didn't yet let the kite roll past that into the fade again as the AVFFF needs).
But once in the pancake I couldn't get the kite back out... argh! I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I pop the lines again to make the nose of the kite pop from pointing back to pointing towards me again. But the kite just refuses to move and it just turns oddly and ugly and out of any stable position back into lateral flying.

[/quote]

I don't know if the Talon is one of them, but if you are trying to do the flic flac move  ( flare to fade) some kites don't like coming back into the fade position if you let the flare go too flat. When you put the kite into the flare position ( nose away) try pulling back for the fade just before the kite goes horizontal and at the same time walk towards the kite a little, you may find that solves the problem.

You can also get into the fade from the axel - axel the kite but as the kite is halfway through the rotation pop both lines and it should turn into a fade. Check out Randy G's flic flac tutorial and keep practising!

Don't give up! It's very hard to learn on your own, I know I have had to do this and it takes ages but it will eventually come. If you get a chance to fly with other pilots you will find you can learn things so much more quickly.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
hawkerhunter

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2013, 11:16 AM »

Ara.. Dont be afraid to use some short sharp aggressive inputs with the Talon UL. It will respond well.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2013, 11:26 AM »

I don't know if the Talon is one of them, but if you are trying to do the flic flac move  ( flare to fade) some kites don't like coming back into the fade position if you let the flare go too flat. When you put the kite into the flare position ( nose away) try pulling back for the fade just before the kite goes horizontal and at the same time walk towards the kite a little, you may find that solves the problem.

OK, I will try that but I did try different positions of the flare when I did that. I'll keep trying.

You can also get into the fade from the axel - axel the kite but as the kite is halfway through the rotation pop both lines and it should turn into a fade. Check out Randy G's flic flac tutorial and keep practising!

Yep! I'm also (and was also that day) practising that. It is still not quite there but it'll come. Funny I have been trying for ages to axel with my right and get into the fade with both hands or with my left, and recently I'm being able to do it when axelling (if that verb exists Tongue ) with my left and pulling for the fade with my right... but it usually does it by chance and I'm so surprized when I get it that then I can't hold the fade for more than a second or two...  Roll Eyes

Keep tryin', keep tryin', keep tryin', keep tryin', ...

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2013, 11:28 AM »

Ara.. Dont be afraid to use some short sharp aggressive inputs with the Talon UL. It will respond well.

OK, thanks. Good advise. I do sometimes act cautiously with the UL. I'll be ruthless now  Angry

In my bag...
bryan beasley

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2013, 12:20 PM »

There's no dead spot in the flare with the Talon - anywhere will do. I'd suggest trying to keep moving forward as you pull (not pop) the nose back under with equal strength inputs with both hands.

Bryan
vertigo2u

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2013, 10:13 PM »

Norm you got them working now... Good Job buddy... I just wish the weather would change.  Last Sunday it was actually 60 degrees and this Sunday about 18 degrees... How much for the room in the trailer Huh

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
red sweater

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2013, 08:05 AM »

Staying low looking for sand crabs to thump in the head.  Cheesy  This kite is a very forgiving, if you haven't already noticed. Sloppy inputs and stays right with it. If you don't already have one, just maybe you should. Maybe even a new Duende.  Tongue

I assume the kite is the Silver Fox? (I see it is. The original link said only Fox for the kite type.) As an owner who is still not very skilled, your assessment is reassuring...or extra damning. Wink
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:15 AM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2013, 10:01 AM »

Staying low looking for sand crabs to thump in the head.  Cheesy  This kite is a very forgiving, if you haven't already noticed. Sloppy inputs and stays right with it. If you don't already have one, just maybe you should. Maybe even a new Duende.  Tongue

Whew... ten in a row (although the seventh didn't rotate all the way >:-) just trying to find a crack to fit some criticism).
You must be able to do them asleep by now...  Roll Eyes

OK, I'll watch the videos a couple of times more and hopefully be able to fly soon...

In my bag...
Wayner

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2013, 11:12 AM »

Norm,

Love the skill to pull them off so low to the ground.
Charles P

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2013, 08:53 PM »

All of this webbing just waiting for the first four videos.......and nothing.  Sad

Patience Norm!!

Patienece is a good word, I'm still working this trick and am still stuck on two. I did pull off three one time but the third was sloppy.
  I am losing my patience with this winter weather, first we had ballistic winds now for the past two weeks we have had vitually no wind at all.
 I'm thinking it may be a couple more months before I can make a serious attempt at this challenge but I'm still out here practicing every chance I get, patiently waiting for my efforts to yield 4 AVFFF's. 

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
Wayner

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2013, 10:47 PM »

I am losing my patience with this winter weather, first we had ballistic winds now for the past two weeks we have had vitually no wind at all.
 I'm thinking it may be a couple more months before I can make a serious attempt at this challenge

That was my pain as well.  Angry

Hope the winds turn better.  Wink
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography