GWTW Forum
September 21, 2014, 01:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tekken Vented  (Read 1533 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« on: December 06, 2012, 06:23 PM »

I had a chance recently to fly this kite in some actual high wind.  I've been hesitant to report much until I had a chance to try it out in those conditions.  

In lower winds, I like it every bit as much as the standard and SUL.  It does everything they do in the same style and feels right at home only in much more wind.  With the vents, it needs a little more wind for easy precision than the standard, but not much more.  It has a solid feel and feedback to it, not mushy at all.  

I flew it in the 20s which is about as high as I like to fly by choice as it gets uncomfortable to be out in much more wind than that.   I've flown it several times now in wind from 18 to 28 and it performs very well there with a solid feel and pull, but not too much pull.   The kite does power up and has a fairly large sail, so very bumpy high wind will be felt on the lines, but it's manageable.

It does everything the others do including the Taz.  It's got a bit more mass, so you can pop it around if you want or float it.   I was able to get them even in high wind without having to move forward much which pleasantly surprised me.   Not sure why, but you can hit this one harder for the flatspins and it readily complies, perhaps it's the additional weight.   You'll also notice it in yoyos as well, it will go around a bit quicker than the standard there as well.

All in all, another solid vent from Lam!  Smiley

A few shots of the kite.

Some vent closeups.

Wind was high and bumpy, sunny and stormy, nice one minute, threatening to pour down rain the next - typical northwest winter weather.

Here is an upward shot of my flying field - storm to the left of the trees, sun to the right!  Smiley

I was treated to this wonderful rainbow at the end of my fly.  It's actually a double, but it's hard to see the second in this picture.

I checked, but there was no pot of gold under the tree!  Maybe next time.

Thanks,
Tom 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:14 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 06:39 PM »

I like the vented better in terms of graphics...
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 07:06 PM »

Wow, that's a good looking kite ! It's hard to tell from the pictures, but which panels are the vents ? Blades of the daggers ? I was really getting to like the looks of that Fearless SUV, but I think I like this one even better.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 08:21 PM »

Wow, that's a good looking kite ! It's hard to tell from the pictures, but which panels are the vents ? Blades of the daggers ? I was really getting to like the looks of that Fearless SUV, but I think I like this one even better.

I added a few more pictures Rob, hopefully they help - the black background makes it hard to see.   There are 4 vents per side - 2 in the blade and 2 under.

I do like how it looks - the venting in the blades mutes them somewhat and the other elements of the design stand out more in my opinion.  That, and I've always liked yellow/black/red on his kites.

6 kite tom
Fearless Object
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 09:56 PM »

I haven't fly my vented DOA kite yet, Hopefully next weekend. Sound like you like it and enjoy fly the Vented DOA, I was little worry, beceaue you had the first vented DOA kite Smiley not sure how does feel like. I am the second to have Vented DOA. I will find out soon for my self Smiley

Thanks Tom

Good day
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:40 AM »

I love the design of your kites Lam.

Excuse my ignorance, but do you pay special attention to where you place the vents? I am assuming placement affects how the wind catches the sail and in turn the tricking ability. If the vents are placed too low it will want to roll-up? If they're too high, it will feel nose heavy?
Ace
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 09:51 PM »

I haven't fly my vented DOA kite yet, Hopefully next weekend. Sound like you like it and enjoy fly the Vented DOA, I was little worry, beceaue you had the first vented DOA kite Smiley not sure how does feel like. I am the second to have Vented DOA. I will find out soon for my self Smiley

Thanks Tom

Good day

Don't get the time to check out this forum much lately, but this thread caught my eye. Do you mean to say this kite was released without any testing whatsoever?Huh

Is it a prototype or the real deal? Man I would be very skeptical about a kite if I was the first to buy and fly one if even the designer was yet to have a go?Huh??

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Fearless Object

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 05:08 AM »

Experience, Trust and believe Smiley Sky Master, Fearless, Transformer and Tekken are all fist shot and never test Smiley

Good day !

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:03 AM by Fearless Object » Logged
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 01:52 PM »

Experience, Trust and believe Smiley Sky Master, Fearless, Transformer and Tekken are all fist shot and never test Smiley

Good day !

Sounds like a quote from a master designer.  Cool
Ace
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 02:44 PM »

Good day !

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  Huh Huh Huh

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Fearless Object

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 07:48 PM »

Do you know how many I have been venting sport kites. if you don't know how to do it then you never will or take a lot of time to do it right. Sound like you don't believe me. if you like bring one kite and come to my place I will vent the kite in front of you. Is that enough to answer you Smiley

Just to make it clear, I am talking about venting a sport kite not making a whole new design kite.

Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:59 PM by Fearless Object » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document