GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 08:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eddy Kite Glider plan  (Read 5560 times)
Boris
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 08, 2012, 02:36 AM »

It's a plan of my Eddy kite glider.

As you can see it is a hybrid of the Eddy kite and fighter kites. It has a wide tail like as fighter kites have and it has a short nose that is closer to Eddy proportions. The spreader is bowed in two directions - from nose to tail and upwards over the sail.

After assembling it requires a tuning. A proper weight should be set on the nose for a smooth gliding.

Video:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:58 AM by Boris » Logged

thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:28 AM »

looks pretty good! what do you recommend for a sail and framing? I see that the measurements are in general units which is good so it can be scaled up easily but what sizes do you have now for it that you like?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Boris

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 11:40 AM »

The kite shown on the photo above is made of Tyvek. I prefer the paper-style Tyvek 1025D instead of the fabric-style 1443R. PET film (12-25 micrometer) is good material also. If you want to use fabric it must have a high diagonal tensile resistance.
I recommend fiberglass for a spreader. Fiberglass is heavier than carbon but the glider must have a weight on the nose anyway. The best material for a spine is carbon.
I've made many prototypes of different sizes suitable for different materials. The size of kite shown on the photo above is based on the 1 meter spreader length. One unit is 120mm, W = 960mm, H=720mm.

Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 12:06 PM »

I may just have to try making one.  I have a Liama, but it's too big to fly in my small backyard.
Thanks for posting this.

I do have a question:
Is the distance from the tail end of the spine to the lower bridle connector one unit of measurement (as with the nose-to-upper bridle)?

Steady winds, y'all.
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 12:26 PM »

Thanks, Boris. I made a few glider-kites myself after seeing (and barely believing!) the YouTube videos of the "Zen" glider-kite. No real successes in my bunch. Then I bought an iFlite (and another!) which "scratched my itch" But I may build one of these, some day. . .

Norm in Toronto
Boris

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 01:53 PM »

Is the distance from the tail end of the spine to the lower bridle connector one unit of measurement (as with the nose-to-upper bridle)?
Yes, it is one unit distance.

John Welden

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 11:17 AM »

Great job... looks fun to fly.
Boris

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 09:01 AM »

Thanks John
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:01 AM by Boris » Logged

WestAustralian

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 07:05 PM »

Sweet Kite.

Thanks for the plans.

If I can source some fabric for this I will give it a go.

WA
Boris

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 03:33 AM »

Thanks WA

WestAustralian

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 05:07 PM »

Boris,
Do You know where I can get Tyvek 1025D online?

Also, does your tension line stay tight or do you release it to pack it away?

Just wondering about the portability of the kite.

WA
Boris

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 05:09 AM »

WA,
Sorry for a delayed answer. I use tauline knots to adjust a tension line.
Tyvek i've bought at an offline store at a nearest Dupont dealer.
Boris

portlandflyer

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 09:39 AM »

WA - if you use an adjustable tension line for easy packing, try this trick! Mark the usual flying spot on the line with a Sharpie! Then when you go to set it up next time, move to your mark! I've done this with another glider I use - works easily!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change