GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 02:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is slot Machine actually a 540 ...  (Read 4850 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+15)

« on: December 10, 2012, 07:28 AM »

but having the kite flown horizontally instead of vertically?  I can do 540  horizontally with the exact same hand movments that I do flying vertically, but I do not know if I am actually doing a slot machine.   Lips sealed  Confused.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:31 AM by rudyy » Logged
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 08:30 AM »

It seems to me to be closer to a Taz than a Slot Machine, ignoring entry and exit directions. The Taz's and 540's rotations in the flare continue in the same direction of rotation as the offset movement entering the flare.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:33 AM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:49 AM »

A Slot Machine only rotates 360 degrees.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 02:04 PM »

Hope this helps

- Axel & Slot Machine is 1 full rotation (360 degrees).  Kite starts and ends the trick facing you

- Taz & 540 is 1 1/2 rotations (540 degrees). Kite starts the trick with it's nose way and finishes facing you

Now go watch them on video.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 07:36 PM »

a vertical slot looks like a 540 (if done right) and gets a full 540 rotation .... am I misunderstanding the question?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:30 PM by Steve » Logged

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
rudyy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54 PM »

My question is:  are the hand movements the same for both the vertical and horizontal slots even though the vertical one will give 540 and the horizontal one 360?
lylenc

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 07:39 AM »

Hand movements are similar for the Slot and 540. I missed that part of your question. Tension is added twice with the same hand. The Taz adds tension with opposite hands.

Kite rotations are similar with Taz and 540, with rotation continuing in same direction after each input. The Slot reverses rotation directions with the two inputs.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:11 AM by lylenc » Logged

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 08:27 AM »

My question is:  are the hand movements the same for both the vertical and horizontal slots even though the vertical one will give 540 and the horizontal one 360?

Yes, flair, catch, rotate.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 09:27 AM »

I believe that your thinking is on the right track.

They are all flat spin rotations.   The key is get the kite flat(ish), pop for the rotation, give slack to watch it all happen, take up and fly off.

The slack starts with offhand while popping and then both during the full rotation.

Good luck.

Tom

6 kite tom
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 10:29 AM »

a vertical slot looks like a 540 (if done right) and gets a full 540 rotation .... am I misunderstanding the question?

I misunderstood the question.  Roll Eyes

What is the vertical slot and any video? 

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 12:54 AM »

Steve has said his 540's are actually Vertical Slots, Since I can't do either I have to take his word for it. If so here's a bunch of them, courtesy of Steve & Chris, who was trusting enough to lay down underneath to get those great angles. Love this video.

TrickTail UL doin' some 540's

and some more here

TTUL Slow and Floaty

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:59 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 02:24 AM »

Nice! This is when I have finally seen what the kite appearing in Steve's avatar image is! I've been wondering all this time.
It looks really nice. I had never heard or seen about this kite, so I'm going to start looking for information on it.

And since I don't wish to hijack this thread, back to the Slots and Tazs.
This has really inspired me to start trying them.
Up until now I thought I was not going to even check what they were about.
But now that I see they are a bit like "consequences" or "variations" of the 540 and I'm already starting to get the 540's right, I will start trying them out!  Cheesy

Thanks for the thread and the info. Has been really useful!  Smiley

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 05:12 PM »

This is a bit if a red herring.  A taz is a 540 rotation but a slot may or may not be depending on how you do it.  YOu can get a 540 slot if you let the kite fully flare after the initial pop and exit nose up but then thats technically not a slot since your not exiting in the same direction as the entry.  The true goal of a slot is a 360 flat spin entering and exiting with the nose heading the same direction.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 06:24 PM »

You are talking horizontal slots, right Anthony. 
In the videos that Mike posted I would be willing to bet that 50% or more of those "540's" were technically vertical slots.
Now would someone describe a Taz Machine for me please.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
lylenc

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 06:49 PM »

Tutorial:
http://reeddesign.co.uk/kites/tricks/tazmachine.html

Slot as you once described is: Right - Right input, with exit in the same direction as entry.
(Your comment in a Forum topic was the breakthrough ah-ha moment for me learning the Slot - thanks. I think it was a topic several years ago with a video of a French(?) gal doing a lot of Slot Machines and other great flying.)

Taz is Right - Left input, with exit in the opposite direction as entry. (Taz tends to need a little more flare rotation after the first input than the Slot before the second input.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 06:59 PM by lylenc » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum