GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 05:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is slot Machine actually a 540 ...  (Read 4817 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 06:55 PM »

You are talking horizontal slots, right Anthony. 
In the videos that Mike posted I would be willing to bet that 50% or more of those "540's" were technically vertical slots.
Now would someone describe a Taz Machine for me please.

YEa I was Steve and your right some of those 540's can be considered vertical slots since you don't always exit nose up but still nice to watch on that TTul.

Taz machine: 540 rotation entered from horizontal flight.  Fly horizontally hitting the upper wing to enter a flare letting what was the lower wing (now trailing wing) come up slightly higher than the leading wing. Pop/pull the trailing wing for the 540 rotation in the direction of flight entered from(right to left, hit left hand for flare, right hand for right to left or counter clockwise rotation).  Let kite rotate 540 degrees and exit in the same direction of flight entered from. Variation is 360 rotation exiting opposite direction entered from.

SLot: 360 rotation entered from horizontal flight in the opposite direction of flight. (left to right=counterclockwise rotation..right to left=clockwise rotation) Kite does not need to flare fully nose away to be able to get the slot rotation.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 01:47 AM »

The original definition of a Slot Machine was a 540* rotation exiting in the opposite direction of the entry, it has since changed to a 360* rotation exiting in the same direction as the entry.

The difference between a Slot Machine and Taz? A Slot reverses the rotation from the entry into the flare, a Taz continues the rotation in the same direction as the entry to the flare, both enter from horizontal flight.

Am I close? Do I win a prize?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 01:55 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 03:56 AM »

Taz machine: 540 rotation entered from horizontal flight.  Fly horizontally hitting the upper wing to enter a flare letting what was the lower wing (now trailing wing) come up slightly higher than the leading wing. Pop/pull the trailing wing for the 540 rotation in the direction of flight entered from(right to left, hit left hand for flare, right hand for right to left or counter clockwise rotation).  Let kite rotate 540 degrees and exit in the same direction of flight entered from. Variation is 360 rotation exiting opposite direction entered from.

That's not a variation, that's a failed attempt.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 07:08 AM »

I can recognize & understand the Slot & Taz on the screen, but once I get out to the field... poof ! My mind goes blank. It took me a couple of years to learn the 540. I've been trying Slots & Tazs for ever it seems, and once in a while I can do something that looks like one or the other, but not on purpose.
I would say the best way to learn these would be to find someone who can do them, and watch them. A lot. Forget about flying, just watch. That's been my biggest mistake, the few times that I've been around people that CAN fly, I haven't paid enough attention.   Embarrassed

Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 09:19 AM »

I would say the best way to learn these would be to find someone who can do them, and watch them. A lot. Forget about flying, just watch. That's been my biggest mistake, the few times that I've been around people that CAN fly, I haven't paid enough attention.   Embarrassed

So true.  Smiley

After watching, don't be afraid to ask for some feedback or help on your flying. Someone can give you one tip that improves your flying skills.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 03:17 AM »

So true.  Smiley

After watching, don't be afraid to ask for some feedback or help on your flying. Someone can give you one tip that improves your flying skills.

That is a great suggestion...

... when you have someone around that flies...  Sad

Anyone willing to come to live around Barcelona area... pretty please?  Smiley

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 04:24 AM »

You should've stopped by when you were in New York...    Sad

I couldn't have helped you with Slots or Tazs, but maybe with a 540 or a fade.

I have driven for hours to meet up with other fliers by me, there is no one local, either. I know how it is...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:32 AM by RobB » Logged

rudyy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 06:34 PM »

Taz machine is much harder than slot machine and 540 because I still cannot do that.  Sad
tpatter

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 08:55 PM »

So true!

The harder you try, the harder it gets.    The key is to relax and let it flow around. 
You can do it hard and fast, but its not as reliable and generally looks bad unless hit right on.

Try going to the end of the window, kite slows way down; easy half-axel input, wait until the nose is a bit up, pop the up wing while stepping forward, watch the kite 360, pull slack and your done. 

Good luck.

6 kite tom
KaoS

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 11:55 PM »

Sure!  Just send the airfare  Grin

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 04:32 AM »

Taz machine is much harder than slot machine and 540 because I still cannot do that.  Sad

Hi, sorry but I don't agree.
I can now do reasonably looking Taz but I have not been able to get one single Slot...
I guess that since I can more or les do 540's that demand the two hand combination, the Taz is similar and the two hands just follow a similar pattern.
With the slot you have to pop the same hand twice and hence my hands just refuse to do that correctly because of the influence of the 540...

So I guess difficult/easy depends where you're coming from and what you can previously do...

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 04:34 AM »

Sure!  Just send the airfare  Grin

Sure! but the only smallish issue is that you are in the exact opposite side of the globe!!!!  Huh
 Wink

(Well, actually Wellington in New Zealand is the exact opposite of Barcelona...)
Cheers.

In my bag...
Ca Ike

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 07:15 AM »

Ok this isn't really that hard of a trick.  It is really just a 540/360 with a different entry point.  The position of the kite before the rotation input is exactly the same as a 540 as are the hand/arm positions prior to the input.  However, if you  don't have the feel for the line tension control to do simple fade and slide control your not going to know when your giving just that slight bit too much slack on the input hand or not enough slack on the off hand.  ONce you give that initial half axel input to get the kite to flare you have to get into the uneven flare arm position just like you do for a regular 540 and give the same amount of slack as a regular 540.  IF you don't then you won't get the trailing wingtip to come up high enough to avoid snagging the tip with the lines.  2 things I still do that mess this up for me is too much slack on the flare before the rotation input so the nose rises too much and too much slack on the input hand.  Got to have just the right line tension to get the kite into position.
Wayner

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 11:18 AM »

I love the Taz, just wish it love me Embarrassed

The harder you try, the harder it gets.    The key is to relax and let it flow around. 

This has been my frustration.  Angry often pulled off the Taz on my fisrt attempt and another with the left hand.  Your right they just flow. Its then that i start to focus on what I am doing that I can't do another taz to save me life. Sad

Hi, sorry but I don't agree.
I can now do reasonably looking Taz but I have not been able to get one single Slot...
I guess that since I can more or les do 540's that demand the two hand combination, the Taz is similar and the two hands just follow a similar pattern.
With the slot you have to pop the same hand twice and hence my hands just refuse to do that correctly because of the influence of the 540...

So I guess difficult/easy depends where you're coming from and what you can previously do...

Ara doing the Taz is not easy. Pat yourself on the back and be proud of your skill  Cool
the slot is not harder it is different. Once you git it you be poping them all the time.

Ok this isn't really that hard of a trick.  It is really just a 540/360 with a different entry point.  The position of the kite before the rotation input is exactly the same as a 540 as are the hand/arm positions prior to the input.  However, if you  don't have the feel for the line tension control to do simple fade and slide control your not going to know when your giving just that slight bit too much slack on the input hand or not enough slack on the off hand.  ONce you give that initial half axel input to get the kite to flare you have to get into the uneven flare arm position just like you do for a regular 540 and give the same amount of slack as a regular 540.  IF you don't then you won't get the trailing wingtip to come up high enough to avoid snagging the tip with the lines.  2 things I still do that mess this up for me is too much slack on the flare before the rotation input so the nose rises too much and too much slack on the input hand.  Got to have just the right line tension to get the kite into position.

Thanks for the input. You identified what I do wrong and gave me some good tips on getting it right.  Smiley

kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 06:50 PM »

I tried this and no luck...
 I can do 540's. when i do the half axel for the slot, never can seem to get the timing right and/or could not get the kite to pause long eoungh to start the rotation.

I guess my biggest problem is finding the balance between enough slack and not so much that i lose control of the kite.

Still love to fly even though some tricks elude me
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum