GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 07:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Argh! >:-A No TrickTails anymore I fear...  (Read 1598 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 13, 2012, 02:50 AM »

I have just become interested on the TrickTail kite and I started looking for information on it...
They are not being built any longer are they?  Cry

I have read that especially the UL was actually impressive in low wind flying (almost an SUL) and that it had really nice spinning tricks...

Can anyone tell me more about it?
From what I've seen it is a seven years old kite design (not that old, right?) and hence I want to know how it compares to current designs and whether it is worth me trying to go after a second hand one...

At least I'd like to know more about it...
Thanks.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:17 AM »

Did you try searching the forum about them? There is a lot of information available here on this forum about them and a solid group of guys who swear by them here.....On

They do pop up for sale in this forum every once in awhile.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:40 AM »

Did you try searching the forum about them? There is a lot of information available here on this forum about them and a solid group of guys who swear by them here.....On

They do pop up for sale in this forum every once in awhile.....

Yes I've searched but little performance information and no comparisons to other kites...   Sad

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:45 AM »

No real comparisons for you, but the following mayhap be of interest to you....

v  GWTW TrickTail Manual

v GWTW TrickTail & Tohuwabohu Parts - Specifications & tuning tips

v Library of Tricktail Videos on Veengle (Total of 21 videos)

v The TrickTail was designed by Martin Schob (currently the owner of the Volango kite store in Germany). 
    The English translated version of his blog can be found here.

For many years now, Martin has maintain on his kite shop's site that: "The Tricktail and variations of the Utopia will be back, and at a very affordable price: PROMISE! (but give me a few month’s time)."  However, as far as a production version goes... Life happens and things don't always go to plan.   

This is also posted on the website: "During the last few years, my designs have only been available on a handmade basis to a small circle of clients, who had to put in a lot of patience (and a bit of money) before they were able to hold a Tricktail in their hands (grin). "

If somewhere along the way, you becoming interested in obtaining one, post a WTB on the forum.  Stranger requests have been fulfilled.  Doug can attest to that.  Roll Eyes

FWIW: Martin seems to post fairly frequently on the Volango Facebook page.

FWIW #2: I acquired a Tricktail STD and Tricktail UL (both brand new) a couple of years ago due to a very strange set of circumstances, while trying to do a favor for a friend.  Huh

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 11:48 AM by indigo_wolf » Logged
HiFly

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 12:02 PM »

From what I've seen it is a seven years old kite design (not that old, right?)
The Tricktail story started in 1995 Cool and the last "Non-Handmades" were sold in 2002 (TT200)

Mike
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 12:55 PM »

Paging Mr Hall...Mr Steve Hall please report to the tricktail discussion
You tricktail knowledge is needed Cheesy

Sine Metu!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 01:16 PM »

Great, thanks for the info.
I had found most of the threads you mention Sam, but thanks for the extra info and effort.
BTW ar you trying to tell me something with the story of your acquisition? I will think about it... Wink

Are ther any other more contemporary kites that ar similar?
I was thinking that perhaps the Acara UL was similar in shape and, from the videos of both, similar in behavior. Am I just completely wrong?

In my bag...
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 04:34 PM »

The TrickTail is a very old design. It's not going to be similar to any kites made in the last 10 years. It wasn't very similar to any kites (not designed by Martin) at the time either. The TrickTail does beautiful flat spins. It was a TT doing a low and slow 540 that pretty much clenched my interest in sport kites back in '98.

It's an odd shape with a curving tail like a keel. Very flat sail by today's standards. I have Steve Hall's favorite TTUL which I cherish. The UL is really an SUL and for low wind flight it's in the same league as the Vapor and Vanishing Point.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 05:04 PM »

The only kite the TT compares to is the utopia (also designed by Martin) and thats not much of a comparison other than they both do very nice flat spins.  It is one kite that is really in a class by itself and a joy to fly.  That being said a lot of newer fliers won't like it simply because its not a trick kite by modern standards and has to be flown through what you want it to do.  ITs not a "pop it and let the kite do the trick" style of flying.  THere is a lot of line management needed to really get it to perform well and even being an old design it can still do some modern roll up tricks if you want it to but they are ugly looking when you do them lol.
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 09:18 PM »

I love my Tricktails. IMHO, all modern trick flyers gotta get their hands on one to appreciate what good ol' old school is really about.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 09:45 PM »

I love my Tricktails. IMHO, all modern trick flyers gotta get their hands on one to appreciate what good ol' old school is really about.

-Darryl
Lets be pragmatic here.  There are lots of great kites out there that have a good old school feel.  Prisms, skyburners, BMKs and many many other makers.  ANytime you can fly a pre flippy stuff kite and really learn how to coax the tricks they can do out of them I recommend you do it.  It will give you a new appreciation for how easy modern kites are to trick and may bring you a new way to enjoy flying for the sake of flying.  Most of the people I've handed my real old school kites to and taught to fly them seem to come to their newer kites with a better feel for line control.  Honestly, if you can fly and trick some of these old school kites well them most modern kites will seem like they trick themselves lol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum