GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 03:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser Pro 50# line friction  (Read 1896 times)
Mick P
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: December 16, 2012, 09:47 AM »

I have several 50# Laser Pro dual lines and they have higher friction compare to other higher pull rate lines.  I can feel the friction after only around four twist wraps, and they also make creeching noise.
It doesn't make sense to me since 50# lines have much finer construction in compare to 90# or 150# lines and therefore should be smoother and have less friction.
The LP 50# lines I am refering to are provided with my Prism 4D (20 ft an 40 ft), and another LP Gold set (75' 50#) I bought from a reputable kite shop.

Most of my kites are ULs and 80% of my fly time is within 3 - 8 mph wind, I ended up using 90# lines and tried to avoid 50# lines due to the issues mentioned. Anybody has the same issue? For those who don't, please tell me the source where you got them. Thanks.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 10:05 AM »

They have 'break in' period for the lack of a better description.  Keep flying, they will quiet down and get more slippery.

6 kite tom
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 11:56 AM »

The coating LP used is a bit sticky to start with. 50# line takes almost double the flight time to smooth out as other line weights just because of the lack of line tension to create friction.
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 04:41 PM »

LP Sport line is a different critter than LP Gold...

I think you will find the the Laser Pro's Gold line much superior to the Sport Line...
CV
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:13 AM by cerfvoliste » Logged

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 08:30 PM »

A better choice for 50lb. line, at least for recreational purposes, would be Shanti in any flavor.

While not quite as low stretch, and we are talking very little difference here, it is much, much smoother, will wrap much better, and is generally more fun to fly with.

jmo, ymmv..
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:05 AM »

(Nice avatar, Jim. I just saw the latest Harry Dresden book in the store yesterday. Can't wait to get it from the library.)

Bob D.
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 04:41 AM »

all the 50 pound line brands "bind" more than a thicker stand(weight line of the same product).  The slipperiest brand right now is Skybond.  All the 50 pound spectra lines pick-up foreign objects though (grass, weeds, bits sticking up, etc) for that reason if you do much slack line stuff at all the heavier lines are more effective.  Even indoors I seldom use anything but 90 (LPG) or 100 pound (Skybond).

I use 50# only for team flying, (only if everyone else does), so I have a shorter team set of 100 feet and long set of 120s

PS:  I'd dump that sleeving too, that's just another tangle point waiting to happen!
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 05:52 AM »

Try Climax Professional or Protec - Great line, very thin and 20+ wraps from new no problem at all! My oldest set is now 4 years old, well used and still in good condition. Wink

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 09:18 AM »

I'm with REVflyer. I very rarely use anything lighter than 90#.

50# is always going to be less slippery than a higher weight of the same line. Add to that, it's fragile and stretchy. I used 75# as a compromise for years, but for quite a while now it's been 90# in anything but zero wind, then it's 75# just because I have shorter sets.  The conventional wisdom that lighter line helps in low wind is hard to prove. I've flown the same SUL back to back on 50 and 90 and the main difference was the 90 being slipperier.

Ditch the 50# and make your life a bit less complicated.

YMMV  Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
Mick P
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 10:38 AM »

I did a quick internet search and found Skybond lines 100# or heavier, 50# lines are hard to find. Climax Professional lines available only at a Germany online kite shop.
REVflyer and Allen's suggestions might be my option for now. I have no problem using 90# lines anyway.
Thank you all for chipping in your advises.
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 11:05 AM »

I did a quick internet search and found Skybond lines 100# or heavier, 50# lines are hard to find. Climax Professional lines available only at a Germany online kite shop.
REVflyer and Allen's suggestions might be my option for now. I have no problem using 90# lines anyway.
Thank you all for chipping in your advises.

You can get Climax lines in the UK too, from 2 kiteshops which I'll PM you the links too - both good to deal with - also from Tim Benson at Benson kites. Great lines.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 11:35 AM »

A better choice for 50lb. line, at least for recreational purposes, would be Shanti in any flavor.

While not quite as low stretch, and we are talking very little difference here, it is much, much smoother, will wrap much better, and is generally more fun to fly with.

jmo, ymmv..

+1 like shanti over lpg

Sine Metu!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 11:47 AM »

I'm going to buck the trend and say that, while I have tried most every line out there aside from Climax, I have always gone back to LPG.

I also think that, unless you are flying an SUL, you don't need 50#.  However, there is a huge difference in flying a kite like the 4D or Ocius SUL on 90# versus 50#.

Overall, I'd say Skybond 100# is a pretty good compromise if you want to have only one line.  It's thinner and lighter than others I've tried, but it will not last nearly as long as LPG.  I went through an entire 500' spool of it in the time I usually go through a single lineset of LPG.  Perhaps this is my local conditions, flying style, etc - I don't know.  All I know is that my experience with it has been that I love how it flys, but hate how it breaks.

-Tom

6 kite tom
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 05:07 PM »

* ae throws another choice into the mix,

Liros DC lines, especially the DC40 and DC60. No idea if they are available in the states. But over here in Germany, they are a big deal. While stuff like climax is mostly regarded as beginner lines. And i have to agree, the climax lines are pure shock cords ....
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 10:37 PM »

* ae throws another choice into the mix,

Liros DC lines, especially the DC40 and DC60. No idea if they are available in the states. But over here in Germany, they are a big deal. While stuff like climax is mostly regarded as beginner lines. And i have to agree, the climax lines are pure shock cords ....
I kind of agree but having only flown one set of climax pro tec I got from Tim I can't say too much other than they were a lot springier than LPG or shanti until I got them stretched.  I've use liros line before for other things but never new they made kite line other than for power kiting in the 300# and up range which isn't great for sport kites.  It's not readily available here in the states so I haven't gotten any in a while.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document