GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 07:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Materials 4 an old-fashioned looking kite  (Read 2419 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 17, 2012, 11:03 PM »

Hi, I want to build a Conyne that looks vintage for my brother as Christmas present..
For rods I'm planning on using canes (sort of bamboo-like).
But I'm not sure about the cloth.
I want it to look rough and raw, so no bleached whites and much less colors.
So crude plain white (beige).
But I don't want it to be too heavy...
What do you recommend?
Thanks.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:28 AM »

For many years kites were made out of muslin..... there are a few groups in Europe who look to build reproductions of historical kites made out of cotton cloth, brass fittings, wire, and wood dowels of all types of wood....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 05:01 AM »

For many years kites were made out of muslin..... there are a few groups in Europe who look to build reproductions of historical kites made out of cotton cloth, brass fittings, wire, and wood dowels of all types of wood....

Thanks!
On trying to learn what "muslin" is, I found these incongruencies:
Wiktionary: "A term used for a wide variety of tightly-woven thin fabrics..."
Wikipedia: "Muslin (/ˈmʌslɨn/ or /ˈmjuːslɨn/) is a loosely-woven cotton fabric..."
 Shocked

Soooooo... is it tightly- or loosely-woven...?
I would say that for a kite we need tightly-woven... otherwise the air would pass through it!
But what is the correct definition... or are there different types...?

In any case, I'll try to find it in a store and see what it is like ("mussolina" in Catalan and "muselina" in Spanish)...

Cheers.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:14 AM »

You could try to build a replica of a 1970s Dunford Flying Machine, which was basically a Conyne controlled by two lines:

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:43 AM »

i would say that the tighter the weave the better.....

check out Ralf Dietrich's page for some specific info: http://www.roloplan.de/kites/galerie/gal_conyne.html
(all in german so get your translator ready!)

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 05:56 AM »

Ara, muslin is a lighter weight cotton cloth with a low thread count (number of threads per inch). It is a cheap cloth that is used more for utility purposes and is not considered fine clothing material. It is used a lot in making sewing patterns or blanks for testing fit. It is also used a lot in the theater for cheap costuming and scenery design. It has a natural or off-white color, but can be bleached or dyed easily.

Muslin is good for hot climates because of the lightweight and looseness of the fabric weave. Maybe not so much for lightwind kites.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:05 AM by Tmadz » Logged
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 06:50 AM »

You could try to build a replica of a 1970s Dunford Flying Machine, which was basically a Conyne controlled by two lines:

Hi Flying Fish.

Thanks, but my brother wants the kite for aerial photography so we need a stable and strong kite. So I was thinking on a Delta Conyne.
The DC is strong to lift the camera (although it will be a light-weight one) and also the delta gives it stability.

Hence, (Tmadz) it is not meant for light winds, but rather to withstand strong wind to lift the camera up (moreover my brother lives in a windy region, although he might go make aerial photography at other places, of course). In any case, thanks for the description.

Thief, thanks for the tip & I'll check the web you reference.

Cheers.

In my bag...
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 08:00 AM »

Yes we got in muslin a couple times a year and the thread count varied depending on the supplier. Some would be very low almost like a cheese cloth and not suitable for kites, sometimes it would be a high thread count using a fine thread and actually a pretty nice fabric but being unbleached, untreated and unwashed expect extreme shrinkage, 20 - 30%. I wouldn't use it personally, I made a kite bag out of an untreated cotton canvas once, sized it just right, first time it got damp on the beach it shrank severly and ended up 3-4" too short for the kites.

Better to look for a cotton/poly broadcloth in a natural color. Or better yet depending on the size of kite you want to make you could look for some sale bedding sheets, they can be an advantage beause you'll get wider fabric then the 36" muslin usually comes in or the 44" you'll find in broadcloths. Pure cotton sheets will be fine as they will be pre-shrunk. White Sales usually hit in January don't they? Big sales on sheets.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 09:32 AM »

Thanks Mike!
Great information.

first time it got damp on the beach it shrank severly and ended up 3-4" too short for the kites.
Cheesy    Cheesy    Cheesy

In my bag...
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 09:47 AM »

humidity can cause changes in the material even if it is coated too.....
Ramlal Tien builds his kites in a old mill on top of a river...We received a few Sentinelles from him that when they went to their end destination were twisted like a piece of rotini pasta...because the end destination had a lower humidity level then where he was the kite changed shape when assembled......made for a super cool piece of line laundry (in reality it generally stretches out to its final shape again with use and files just right)...

Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 10:44 AM »

My brother wants the kite for aerial photography so we need a stable and strong kite. So I was thinking on a Delta Conyne.
The DC is strong to lift the camera (although it will be a light-weight one) and also the delta gives it stability.

Hence, (Tmadz) it is not meant for light winds, but rather to withstand strong wind to lift the camera up (moreover my brother lives in a windy region, although he might go make aerial photography at other places, of course). In any case, thanks for the description.

Great choice. DC are my favorite kite for our tricking wind conditions. I have one that is 25 yrs old with wood dowels. Sure your brother will love it.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 10:40 PM »

Hi,

I have finished the cloth of the DC but I'm now having troubles finding bamboo canes that are sufficiently regular.

So I was thinking on using wood dowels.
The question is: what type of wood should they be made of?

They should be light but strong, right?
Thanks.

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 03:20 AM »

Hi Ara,

Although I have no personal experience of building anything like his, I do have an old kite flying/building book which says " Pine, Ramin and Obeche are the most common dowels".

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 04:30 AM »

Hi,

I have finished the cloth of the DC but I'm now having troubles finding bamboo canes that are sufficiently regular.

So I was thinking on using wood dowels.
The question is: what type of wood should they be made of?

They should be light but strong, right?
Thanks.
From reading on the german sites I posted I get the sense that wood dowels would be more appropriate.....there are ramin towels instock at most of hardware stores in the US...not certain what would be common in Spain.

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 10:29 AM »

Great thanks to bot.
I'll first find out what Ramin is in Catalan or in Spanish and then go to the wood hardware store.

In my bag...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change