GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 08:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Go Pro on a Kite and launched from a ship?Educationnal research interests HAWAII  (Read 623 times)
romung
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 18, 2012, 04:05 PM »

Hello,

My name is Romain and I am an oceanographer working for the University of Hawaii.

I am looking for advices and also persons in Hawaii who could help me for a little project that I would like to do for my research.

I wonder if it would be doable to stabilize a Go Pro camera on a kite launched from a large vessel. Wind conditions around Hawaii are typically Easterly trades at about 10 m/s. I would like the Kite to fly at least 100m above the ship and even higher if possible. I also wonder  if the Kite could be stabilize for 2 or 3 hours using a winch if for example the vessel stay in steady position facing the wind.

Thank you very much if you can give an opinion on this. And I would be also very interested if someone already tried something similar over the sea (with whitecaps) and would like to share few picture for my research.

Smiley

Mahalo

Romain

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:13 PM by romung » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:22 PM »

Welcome
Kap rigs are very cool....
I would wander over to Google and search out Brookes Box (cannot provide a direct link as postings links to competitors is against forum policy).......Brooks is the Kap king!!!  Brookes also has specific rigs for GoPro cameras.....

Please share some pictures!!!!

I made a simple picavet rig (from plans on Brooks pages) to hang my Drift HD camera and it works great....

Here are a few pix I have taken https://picasaweb.google.com/110977665158917743177/KiteAerialPhotographyShots
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:27 PM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ray3619
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 05:30 PM »

if you can hunt down alan nagao , lives in hawaii , owned high performance kites (back in the day ) im sure he would offer some local advise , another local would be robert loweara , ray

Avatar is a Force 10 with 150 foot tail.
Always looking for TOTL stuff
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:47 PM »

Romain, just in case you didn't know KAP is Kite Aerial Photography and there is a dedicated following for it. Google that and it will lead you to many resources of information to use. Everything from preferred styles of kites to instructions on building a rig for hanging your camera. Your biggest issue is getting the right kite to hold stable in the sky.
romung
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 06:18 PM »

Hey,

Thank you very much. I know nothing about Kite so it helps a lot.
Ccentino
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 07:08 PM »

I'm a kite flyer in Hawaii, I'm also a UH manoa student

-CHester Centino, Honolulu, Hawaii
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography