GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 05:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual Freestyle Round 25....  (Read 3594 times)
Yan
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 19, 2012, 11:55 AM »

Round 25 will be kicking off very early in the new year.....

I'll publish the official dates over christmas, but I'd thought it would be worth giving a heads up :wink:

This round is an 'Eolo' round.
Eolo have very generously topped up the two Kites that Alex Belov put as prizes - Eolo Mambo and Venice SUL - with a Neox and six caps.  Cool  Cool  Cool

Yan

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 03:09 AM »

Ok, dates for this round are....

Start on 4/1/2012
all entrys in by end of 17/2/2012
scores in by end of 3/3/2012.
[/size]

many Thanks to Eolo and Alex B for the prizes.. Cool  Cheesy

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:38 AM »

Would that be 2013?  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Yan

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 02:43 PM »

Grin yes 2013....

Yan

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:11 PM »

Don't forget that VF has adopted a standard file name format. It Is....

VFRound number - name - country.mov(or whatever file extension is appropiat)

so for me this round it would be.... VF25_Yan_UK.wmv   

Yan

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 01:18 PM »

Just two weekends left before closing date for entrys Wink

Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 03:40 PM »

Just two weekends left before closing date for entrys Wink

Got my kites ready for competition.

Now all I need is some wind and a lot of talent.

Smplcty
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 05:37 PM »

I am also hoping for some good winds and some talent! I have never made a kite video or entered anything! So far I have one entry saved but I know it is nowhere near any of the VF entries I have watched.  Embarrassed
ghfisanotti

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 05:49 PM »

So far I have one entry saved but I know it is nowhere near any of the VF entries I have watched.  Embarrassed

Don't be shy! participating is a lot of fun, you'll learn some more by having to watch and judge the other entries and you may even win a brand new kite (belirve me, I did, twice  Grin)! you have nothing to loose!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 06:31 PM »

If I can't put together some of my own footage (still have a couple of days & a lot of time on my hands...), at least I hear that one of my kites will be in this round... Good luck Anthony !

dihongshao2000
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:26 PM »

I entered a few rounds of VF now and enjoyed the process so far.  I have one suggestion on the scoring for all of you to consider.

It appeared to me that all flyers flew custom made expensive high end kites.  Most of these kites are much more capable than commercially available mass produced kites in kite stores.  Should we adjust the final scores based on the cost of the kite?  For example, if one flyer used a kite that costs $400 versus the other of $200, the score of the latter should be adjusted upwards to account for a less expensive and therefore possibly less capable kite.  Each VF participant can provide the name brand and cost of his/her kite as part of the entry.  This way, we are more of promoting kiting to the general public in lieu of the exclusive few.  It might also encourage more new entry level participants who most likely fly low end and low cost kites as a start and challenge capable flyers do tricks on kites that are accessible to general public.  The following is an example of the adjustment factors I am proposing:

kite cost  cost ratio                         score adjust factor = (1 + cost ratio%)
entry 1   $500    1.00   % =   $500/$500   1.0000
entry 2   $400    1.25   % =   $500/$400   1.0125
entry 3   $300    1.67   % =   $500/$300   1.0167
entry 4   $200    2.50   % =   $500/$200   1.0250

BTW     Tom, this is for you  Cheesy and mostly for me  Cheesy

FYI      My VF-24 entry is a Silver Fox 2.3 UL that I bought used on GWTW for $80...I would not be the last after all if this new role applied   Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:04 PM by dihongshao2000 » Logged
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 01:33 AM »

Another handicap to consider would be those who shoot using a tripod vs. a camera person. Using a tripod introduces a much higher level of difficulty, or in my case, probably luck to keep the kite in the frame for 90 seconds. That is the only thing that has kept me out of past rounds, and possible this one, the out of frame rule.
So, should using a camera person automatically shave a point from the score ? Or give a point to a competetor who uses a tripod ?   Angry

ghfisanotti

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 05:28 AM »

Another handicap to consider would be those who shoot using a tripod vs. a camera person. Using a tripod introduces a much higher level of difficulty, or in my case, probably luck to keep the kite in the frame for 90 seconds. That is the only thing that has kept me out of past rounds, and possible this one, the out of frame rule.
So, should using a camera person automatically shave a point from the score ? Or give a point to a competetor who uses a tripod ?   Angry

A suggestion for those of us limited to a tripod, get a GoPro Hero camera, with its 170 degree Field of View wide-angle lens, it is almost impossible to fly out of the frame! I still prefer the image from a regular 25mm camera, but if you're having a hard time keeping the kite in-frame, the GoPro is very interesting option, particularly the new Hero 3 has a very acceptable image quality.
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 05:59 AM »

Walk 10 meter forward next time.
hawkerhunter

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 07:00 AM »

If your going to do all that then could we also add some extra points for middle aged balding flyers wearing wellington boots flying in a muddy field then with my cheap chinese 10 toy kite filmed on my old Kodac instamatic camera mounted on a tripod I just might be in with a chance  lol Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:35 AM by hawkerhunter » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document