GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 04:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual Freestyle Round 25....  (Read 3638 times)
ghfisanotti
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 07:24 AM »

Walk 10 meter forward next time.

Now I need to think of another excuse to spend US$ 400 in that shiny brand new Hero 3 Black Edition  Angry
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 08:05 AM »

I entered a few rounds of VF now and enjoyed the process so far.  I have one suggestion on the scoring for all of you to consider.

It appeared to me that all flyers flew custom made expensive high end kites.  Most of these kites are much more capable than commercially available mass produced kites in kite stores.  Should we adjust the final scores based on the cost of the kite?  For example, if one flyer used a kite that costs $400 versus the other of $200, the score of the latter should be adjusted upwards to account for a less expensive and therefore possibly less capable kite.  Each VF participant can provide the name brand and cost of his/her kite as part of the entry.  This way, we are more of promoting kiting to the general public in lieu of the exclusive few.  It might also encourage more new entry level participants who most likely fly low end and low cost kites as a start and challenge capable flyers do tricks on kites that are accessible to general public.  The following is an example of the adjustment factors I am proposing:

kite cost  cost ratio                         score adjust factor = (1 + cost ratio%)
entry 1   $500    1.00   % =   $500/$500   1.0000
entry 2   $400    1.25   % =   $500/$400   1.0125
entry 3   $300    1.67   % =   $500/$300   1.0167
entry 4   $200    2.50   % =   $500/$200   1.0250

BTW     Tom, this is for you  Cheesy and mostly for me  Cheesy

FYI      My VF-24 entry is a Silver Fox 2.3 UL that I bought used on GWTW for $80...I would not be the last after all if this new role applied   Cheesy
There is all sorts of "NO" on this and should never happen.  ITs just as bad as giving a higher score because you have a more picturesque flying location than someone else or a better intro in your vid.  VF is supposed to be about the FLYING and nothing else.  IF you think your handicapped because you have an SF 2.3 or widow or some other factory trick kite send it my way and I'll show  you how "NOT" so handicapped you are.  Not all the kites in VF are boutique kites. THere have been Zephyrs, SF's, overs, neox's and many other capable factory trick kites used and done well with.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:13 AM by Ca Ike » Logged
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 09:14 AM »

I'm thinking that was a joke Anthony.... a pretty funny one, too. lol

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 09:22 AM »

I think all this talk about handicapping was all in jest... I mean, seriously, this contest has got the best of the best on the same 'virtual field' as us average, middle aged weekend warriors. That's the great thing about VF. I don't care where I place when I get an entry in, it's just about having been there. If you're really serious about being in the top of the standings, all you have to do is spend a few thousand more hours on the lines, no matter what you're flying or who's filming you...  Cool

Yan

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 09:45 AM »

So far I have one entry saved but I know it is nowhere near any of the VF entries I have watched.  Embarrassed

Don't be shy! participating is a lot of fun, you'll learn some more by having to watch and judge the other entries and you may even win a brand new kite (belirve me, I did, twice  Grin)! you have nothing to loose!

There is no minimum standard for VF... it is as much about community as competition....  Wink
this weekend is the last wekend to get an entry in tho'.... just shout if you have questions.

Smplcty
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 07:20 PM »

I shot my stuff with my phone in the sand propped up with a horseshoe crab shell.
hawkerhunter

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 10:37 PM »

I shot my stuff with my phone in the sand propped up with a horseshoe crab shell.

thats gotta be worth some bonus points  Wink
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 11:13 PM »

thats gotta be worth some bonus points  Wink
Only if the crab wasn't just a shell and it ran off with the phone only to be stopped by a well timed and placed tomahawk tip stab Tongue  All caught on vid of course Cheesy
Yan

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 03:40 AM »

I think this is the first round with entrys from South, Mid and North America! 8-)  Last weekend to get your entry in....

ghfisanotti

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 04:34 AM »

I think this is the first round with entrys from South, Mid and North America! 8-) 

Yes? more americans? the already well known from USA and Argentina and now, what other countries? maybe Mexico or Colombia I guess...
Yan

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 08:33 AM »

Costa Rica.... Wink

Yan

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 12:36 AM »

Now closed to new entry's...
We have 15 in total... not bad considering the weather conditions  some folk have had to face...

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 05:46 AM »

Now closed to new entry's...
We have 15 in total... not bad considering the weather conditions  some folk have had to face...

Weather conditions ? I don't know what you're talking about...

Yes, that's right near where I usually fly... The snow is starting to get in the way !

Shocked

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 06:37 AM »

Yes, that's right near where I usually fly... The snow is starting to get in the way !

Shocked
nah...just makes the tip stabs softer.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ghfisanotti

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 07:38 AM »

Shocked

Don't be negative, think of it as a very nice background for your next kite video.  Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change