GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 08:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plutz & Prism Zero G  (Read 6869 times)
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 05:12 PM »

HI
     I have been flying my ZG lately as the quieter winter breeze's set in and have been having a ball. I have left all but the tow point as stock settings and have moved the tow point up about half its adjustment. This gives me a good turn rate but not to quick sort of nice and flowing, if I am feeling a bit more lively I will move it right forward and the turns are a lot snappier. As the wind comes in move the TP back to suit the breeze. I have yet to play with any other adjustments as I really like what it flies like now. In a couple of knots or less it is a great kite and really good fun. It will glide upwind in light air with a slack line, wait for the slack to take up pop the line and gently squeeze to get a bit of speed and it will head down wind in a lovely fast glide, great fun, a bit "Trout Fishing". I broke the centre t on mine and emailed prism for advice on a repair and they sent me a new t gratis, and I live in Australia, with a note and a phone number to call for any further problems. Very good customer service. I am impressed with the kite and the after care from Prism.
At the price everybody should have one of these.
       Mike
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 05:55 PM »

Coogee you need a mega plutz now Wink

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
coogee

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 07:20 PM »

Thief your right I do need a Mega Plutz and a I also need a Ceewan Pointer  Grin
 Mike
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 04:16 AM »

It seems in the beginning its ALL tow point and EXPERIENCE.

Tow point up about half its adjustment? Not sure here? Can you translate forward/backward - and in inches?

It seems you conflict - one flyer reports massive adjustment and the other indicates the TP is a sensitive fine tuning TP?

Your opinion? Just collecting data.

APJ

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
coogee

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 01:53 PM »

HI
    my ZG has two knots that the tow point can be moved between. They are 48 mm apart. I know because I just measured them. So an adjustment from the 'stock' setting of halfway is about 12mm. I have moved mine 'up' ie towards the nose, that does for most of my flying. Till I get real comfy with the little beast I will leave all the other tweaks alone. That works for me.
   Mike
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 05:55 PM »

So as the wind increases move the tow point toward the body of the kite. If you want better gliding in very low winds or its tipping toward the ground - move the tow point toward the nose. Correct?

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
portlandflyer

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 10:19 AM »

I have both a Plutz 2 and Mega-Plutz, neither has it's glide affected by moving the tow point! As far as I can see, the only thing affected is turn rate! Moving TP forward - smoother transitions, back - faster turns, quicker response! To change glide rate, move the adjustable fitting on the spine near the nose, forward or back to suit what ever you want in your kite! My Plutz 2 has no adjustment, other than TP, and glides beautifully on the stock setup!! On my Mega, I'm pretty centered on the nose fitting! Haven't experimented too much, but I think you'll find moving that fitting forward will help glide, moving it back will help climb!
PS: That fitting is tight and hard to move!!

All IMHO!!
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 11:40 AM »

Thanks Portland. Always like to get some preliminary information - reminds me of an issue last year with Astral Glide by R. Gibian but I got the cheaper version.

Anyway in the end Ron instructed me that the central spine had to be bowed to fly correctly maybe 6" off the central line. Without this you have nothing ... see this final instruction -

Put the lower connector in first. The cental rod. Then the upper rod. It should not stick out at the top. Doing that it should bow pretty good.maybe six inches off the center. Then tie the central rod down in this bow position. The tension on top and bottom is about a fist in width. Obviously if it starts to move back and forth in the sky with increasing wind more tension in the upper and lower spreaders. No tail required - EVER!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Nowhere in the instructions ... the above of the bowed spine!

These suggestions save time in the field ... BTW whats your preferred # test line on the Zero G?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:37 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

portlandflyer

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 10:55 PM »

I had one chance to fly a friend's and used the same line that comes with the Wala, with a wand! Use the same line with my Mega-Plutz too! And a bit stiffer wand!
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 05:21 AM »

I guess 50# line ...

coogee

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 02:33 AM »

I have both a Plutz 2 and Mega-Plutz, neither has it's glide affected by moving the tow point! As far as I can see, the only thing affected is turn rate! Moving TP forward - smoother transitions, back - faster turns, quicker response! To change glide rate, move the adjustable fitting on the spine near the nose, forward or back to suit what ever you want in your kite! My Plutz 2 has no adjustment, other than TP, and glides beautifully on the stock setup!! On my Mega, I'm pretty centered on the nose fitting! Haven't experimented too much, but I think you'll find moving that fitting forward will help glide, moving it back will help climb!
PS: That fitting is tight and hard to move!!

Spot on, the tow point affects rate of turn and the glide/climb is changed by the nose fitting and the canard tension. I am using 30lb  Laser Pro dacron to fly the ZG.  When I get used to the kite I will experiment with the glide/climb but it is great now on the stock setting. It really is a fun kite!
 Mike
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:57 PM by coogee » Logged
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 08:47 PM »

the new plutz can change the pitch very easy now
just got my mega plutz 2013 from thief
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:44 AM by PUZZLE » Logged

coogee

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 12:32 AM »

That is a great way of showing  the adjustment points, the marks on the line usually fade and are hard to see on black line. Nice detail.
  Mike
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 07:43 AM »

looks great Steve!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ceewan

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 08:51 AM »

Here is a setting that will work for the MegaPlutz and Zero-G.

This gives the kite a super slow speed in zero wind conditions

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/27311865@N07/13169192835/player/bb145bb343" height="1667" width="1331"  frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:56 AM by ceewan » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document