GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 04:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Handle Dogs ??  (Read 6442 times)
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« on: June 02, 2009, 08:34 AM »

Yesterday I went to my favorite kite flying location and had a frustrating day with 3 mph winds.  The kites often stalled and floated down to the ground.  As luck would have someone was walking their dog without a leash and he took an interest in my kite which was in the air.  The winds died, the kite floated down and the dog and I made a mad rush to the kite.  Fortunately I won and the only damage was a twisted set of dyneema lines.

Any advice how to handle dogs?
Brian O
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 09:20 AM »

Another flier experiences the joy or irresponsible pet owners who think the whole park is their unleashed dog's playground and everyone elses possessions is their dog's toys.  Angry

Is shooting the dog out of the question ? Huh  Shocked Roll Eyes

EnergonCube

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:35 AM »

pepper spray.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:53 AM »

pepper spray.

To be used on the dog  Angry  or owner  Lips sealed ?

ATB,
Sam
EnergonCube

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 10:07 AM »

If the conditions are right, both.  Wink

I'm a bike rider and I have a small bottle tucked under my seat. I've been chased by a large dog on my bike before and it saved my ass. Literally.

I'm a dog lover myself and this is the only method I can think of that doesn't harm the dog and has the possibility of keeping you/the kite intact.

FYI.. small bottles are sold at most bike shops.

indigo_wolf

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 10:44 AM »

I'm a dog lover myself and this is the only method I can think of that doesn't harm the dog and has the possibility of keeping you/the kite intact.

Not something I feel compelled to get into a religious debate about... everyone is going to do whatever they are going to do. Forums don't change people's minds 

Just having a hard time reconciling with the whole "pepper spray doesn't harm the dog." theory.  Long term probably not (unless the dog has a pre-existing condition... asthma in young/middle aged dogs/cats is just not that uncommon). 

Any Oleoresin Capsicum overspray that lands on the grass will take a long time to break down and remains there for a toddler to find long after the fact (reactivating when exposed to the moisture of a wee one's mouth/eyes).

If it was a ongoing annoyance here, my very personal preference would be an alternative. 

ATB,
Sam
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 11:16 AM »

Take a picture of the dog and the owner and phone the Marshall. Have that number on your cell phone. If the guy leaves, get a picture of his license plate. Tell him, his citation will be mailed to his house.

At least this way, the dog owner gets to mull over his actions.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
EnergonCube

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 11:36 AM »

In a perfect world that's all well and good. But I'm afraid that doesn't always happen:

http://www.bluemoonfabrications.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=914

And taking a photo of the dog/owner means your kite is lost anyways and recovering the loss will most likely require a good deal of time and expense.

As I said before, I love dogs and I do not advocate pulling the pepper spray unless it's absolutely necessary. A level head and some good ol' common sense should factor in here.

As and alternative, might I suggest an air horn? It might be loud enough to scare the mess out of a dog even at a distance.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 12:40 PM »

I agree with John, the only way a pet owner will abide by the leash law is to be sited. Once they start paying for there "dogs are free" attitude they will think twice about letting the animal run loose. As for the kite, yes you may have trouble collecting money for replacement. As with most of my kites that are no longer manufactured the problem of replacement is mute. But my understanding is that a pet owner is liable for any damages there pet causes. I know my insurance company has no problems in reclaiming losses incurred. 

As for being at the park, I also have no problem approaching a pet owner and advising them that my kites are not intended as chew toys for there pet, and I would appreciate them keeping the pet at bay so I can enjoy the park as well.

If I get attitude then I follow Johns advise

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 01:36 PM »

In all my years of flying I have never had a dog go after my kite.

Now bulls are a different story Cool Had a nice MYSL stomped on once, took my lines too!

I fly in a pasture if not on the beach Grin

"Do what you like"
gwm
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 02:14 PM »

I normally fly alone in a field between a hedgerow on the south and a woodline several hundred yards to the north. Twice I've had a near miss encounter with a pair that runs loose.
 It's just me against them and I just don't go out anymore without a sidearm. At 300.00 for a good kite and 2 dogs against me, I would hate to do it, but I will if I have to.
SKITCH
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 03:14 PM »

I normally fly alone in a field between a hedgerow on the south and a woodline several hundred yards to the north. Twice I've had a near miss encounter with a pair that runs loose.
 It's just me against them and I just don't go out anymore without a sidearm. At 300.00 for a good kite and 2 dogs against me, I would hate to do it, but I will if I have to.

Kinda makes Pepper Spray look a little more animal friendly doesn't it???    Shocked Shocked

Much like kids....people should manage their animals.  In a perfect world there would not be kids screaming and running around the restaurant or running up and down the isles of the airplane...let's not even get into kids-babies in movie theatres!  Angry Angry

The choice of how to deal with dogs destroying property and their (at times) POS owners is a tough one that should be handled carefully. 

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.

Charlie Dunton
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 03:19 PM »

At Kite Hill Seattle, I'll not take a boutique kite out of the bag on a weekend and never an irreplacable kite like a Vapor, anytime.  You see, there is an off leash area at the base of the hill and next to the lake, and the owners frequently do not leash up their dogs after visiting the dog park section.

If they pass close enough to me, (you know how the unknowing will frequently walk under your kite and lines?) I will politely tell them that this is not an off leash area, and they will usually leave.  It's as if they think no one will notice Roll Eyes

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
indigo_wolf

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 03:25 PM »

It's as if they think no one will notice Roll Eyes

Jim
My cat is the same way about food on MY plate.  I swear it was like he was raised in a barn.   Cheesy

Have you ever seen a Springer Spaniel slink?

ATB,
Sam
antman

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 03:34 PM »

i delt with a dog hitting my line set and causing my kite to catch a light pole and split it in 2.. when the cops came they couldnt prove that the dog did the damage and didnt beleave that my kite was worth $200 so i was left in the dark .. untill a few good friends of mine helped me get a new kite by makeing donations towards my cause .. i didnt ask for this but my good friends at the rev kite4s forum wanted  to do this for me .. i am forever thankful for what they have done.. anyway now i wind up my lines on my handles in between flies to avoid this from happeing again.. i hope this helps you a little bit

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum