GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 11:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Handle Dogs ??  (Read 6128 times)
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 03:38 PM »

Call me crazy, but these are nearly all nonsense.  You can't possibly use pepperspray effectively to defend the kite.  Ammonia?

If you can (Huh) get to the kite before the dog to pepper spray it to prevent damage, then you can also pick up the kite and defend it from damage.  No spray needed.  

If the dog gets to the kite when it lands, you lose that race.  So pepper spray is then only a sad form of revenge.  

A sharp pitched little air horn sounds like a reasonable suggestion at least.  Run backwards and yell to the owner to warn/ask for help or 300 dollars?  Aggressively clear communication.  

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 03:56 PM »

How about one of these?Huh     Grin

http://www.rap4.com/paintball/os/paintball-pistol-p-1431.html

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 04:10 PM »

It's as if they think no one will notice Roll Eyes

Jim
My cat is the same way about food on MY plate.  I swear it was like he was raised in a barn.   Cheesy

Have you ever seen a Springer Spaniel slink?

ATB,
Sam
Not a Springer, but most of the dogs we have owned were very good at that trick.  Our last Rotty escaped (actually just walked away) her yard one day and was
cavorting the neighborhood for a half hour or so..................The wife and I were outside shoooting baskets when she literally slinked/crept by us for aover 120 feet while we ignored her..........................she then waited about five minutes and came running out of her kennel, like she had just woken from a nap and wanted to play too. Cheesy Cool Cheesy

We never let her know we knew Wink

But, enough digression and thread hijacking..............It is the owner's fault - same as the parents fault, and they should be the ones pepper sprayed, although we all know how that would end up.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 04:51 PM »

It sounds like I am not alone.

I am a bit reluctant with pepper spray since I am sure it will result in a fight with the owner and the caliber of deterrent he carries may be a huge problem.  Shocked

I will try a few tennis balls as a distraction to get the kite, an ultrasonic device as a deterrent, and maybe the airhorn.  Soon I will need a second kite bag to take all of the deterrent items along.

If there is a fine for unleashed dogs I will keep my cell phone ready to go.  After talking to the park security they indicate many owners are told to put the dog on a leash each day so it doesn't sound if a fine structure is there.  Until there is an active fine structure the owners will most likely leash and later unleash the dog when the security leaves.  I can also see the dog got loose chasing a squirrel defense and he is normally leashed.

Thanks for the responses.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 05:10 PM »

I normally fly alone in a field between a hedgerow on the south and a woodline several hundred yards to the north. Twice I've had a near miss encounter with a pair that runs loose.
 It's just me against them and I just don't go out anymore without a sidearm. At 300.00 for a good kite and 2 dogs against me, I would hate to do it, but I will if I have to.

Right on dude!!! 

Guns and kites....my kinda flying Wink

"Do what you like"
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 06:19 PM »

Perhaps get a border collie that you have trained to "herd unleashed dogs" and then take it to the field with you.

If anyone should be hurt in the situation, its the owners - they are often just truly stupid.  The poor dog is just being a dog - they need clear direction.  I've found that if you are stern with the dog, they usually start behaving.

If a fast attack, really nothing you can do but keep the kite in the air and get the owner to get control of the dog.

6 kite tom
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 06:38 PM »

I like to yell  "HEEEEEEEEYYYYYY!", and run at the dog as fast as i can.
That always gets the attention of both, the dog and the owner rather quickly.
It's worked every time,,,  so far.
gwm
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 06:41 PM »

It's a horrible thing to shoot a dog. I've seen it and I would only do it as a last resort. I've seen a chewed up Exile and that is even more horrible.
 I would be interested to know if a paint ball gun would have any effect on a dog. Probably just take his mind off it for a moment.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 08:49 PM »

It's a horrible thing to shoot a dog. I've seen it and I would only do it as a last resort. I've seen a chewed up Exile and that is even more horrible.
In your original post, you put forth two overlapping propositions. "Ashing" 2 dogs

• In defense of your life and personal safety
  • In defense of your $300 kite

The first might fly with the local courts but the burden of proof regarding your imminent danger would be on you.  Shooting two dogs over a kite regardless of cost.... I wouldn't take odds on that in court.  That would entail convincing 12 people off the street that

• the kite was worth $300 (given the glazed looks when you mention the price of a kite to "Joe/Jane Average"...)
  • property damage equates capital punishment for a animal... possibly a family pet.... again not favorable odds.

Remove the imminent danger threat and it becomes even worse.  Your actions would be attributed, at least in some small part, to the rest of kiting community.  Given access problems in some areas, I just can't see how that would be a good thing. 

I would be interested to know if a paint ball gun would have any effect on a dog. Probably just take his mind off it for a moment.
A paintball gun, except at point blank range (impact raising welts) will have little or no effect on the dogs. I don't know that from personal experience, but my friend had several dogs that would "take the hit" of an "invisible fence" when chasing a squirrel and that is considerably less pleasant.   

However, taking out a something that resembles a real gun and brandishing it on public grounds will get you cited or shot.  And from a distance the gun that a link was posted to fills that bill.  Most people will not take time to note the secondary feed tube running atop the barrel. That's precisely the reason current toy guns have safety orange muzzles. 

If I have pushed this thread closed to the "lock brink", I apologize. 

ATB,
Sam
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 09:54 PM »

I accidently ran over a large dog in my PL buggy once moving pretty fast in 20 mph winds with a 5 metre power foil.

It was alright once it rolled around and stood up and then ran off...it didnt bother me for the rest of the afternoon. The owner was busy running after the dog...never saw them again either !

cheers

steve Cheesy
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 01:55 AM »

I've never used it so I don't know but would putting pepper spray on the kite itself work? The do might chase it but when it got close enough to do any damage would it be deterred by the spray?

Personally I try to stand in the middle of a big field, be paranoid watching for dogs and as soon as I see one land the kite - they only seem interested while the kite is in the air. I'll leave if I have to rather than lose a kite. Arguing with a stupid, often aggressive owner has always proved to be a waste of time.

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 05:46 PM »

ian if you have never been around mace- pepper spray KNOW that you do not want to get any on your kite yourself your significant other your------------ get my drift? JUST DONT it is nasty.. if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction you will SUFFER  otherwise it is great stuff for protecting yourself or loved ones in a not always kind world BUT you have to know how to use it it is a weapon
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:50 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
SKITCH

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 06:12 PM »

ian if you have never been around mace- pepper spray KNOW that you do not want to get any on your kite yourself your significant other your------------ get my drift? JUST DONT it is nasty.. if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction you will SUFFER  otherwise it is great stuff for protecting yourself or loved ones in a not always kind world BUT you have to know how to use it it is a weapon

Yeah what he said!

Had an uncle who had a small bottle in his pocket while working on the house.  I think it was on his wifes keychain.,,...one of those.  He was on a ladder and in reaching down to get something he discharged the cannister in his pocket....pretty much all over his crotch.  It was NOT a good ordeal.   It took a while to "get over" it! 

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.

Charlie Dunton
Spz0
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 06:26 PM »

What I've done in the past, is run back raising the kite, then throwing it into the turtle position -- getting the kite high enough so that when I turtle, I'll be able to run up to the kite before it hits the ground, yelling the whole time.  Works great to scare the dog, alert the owner, and save my kite.  Then I kindly (well, curtly really) inform them that its a fineable offense to have their dog off the leash.
When it comes down to A) having a dog chew the SH out of my kite, or B) turtle, drop my lines, hope the line weight is enough to keep it in the turtle position long enough for me to make a mad dash for the dog/kite,, I would choose B, every time.  I've had a couple hard landings the couple of times I've had to do this, but in the end, replace a spar, or a sail?

That Air horn sounds like a good, and fun idea too.  Smiley
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 07:49 PM »

If the winds are so light that the kite won't stay in the air why not just run a partial 360, that will put you running towards the dog and the kite away from the dog, you can then land the kite with you between the dog and kite if you wish to confront the dog. Not always a good idea though but hopefully the dog isn't too aggressive if the owner has him off leash in a public area.

As far as calling the Police, here they will not respond to a dog complaint until somebody is actually maimed or killed, their words on the last call we had to make when aggressive dogs were threatening us on our own property.

As far as shooting them, you will go to jail for discharging a fire arm in a public or residential area. Our neighbor did even after at least 10 of the local residents had made calls about the threatening dog running loose and he had reported livestock killed and his horses attacked and injured. He finally got tired of it one night when his horses were again being attacked and peppered the dog with buckshot out his back door, no houses within 3 miles. He went to jail and still the police would take no action against the dogs owner despite the local laws clearly stating that dogs are to be confined on your property or on a leash no longer then 5 feet. We also have laws stating once a dog attacks a person, pet or damages any property that dog will be put on the dangerous animal list, site inspections made to confirm proper confinement and required to be on a leash not longer the 3 feet when off the owners property. Good luck with that, the dog that jumped our fence and attacked Rhonda and shredded her cat was allowed to continue to run loose, the last casualty, 20-30 staples to put the neighbors Chihuahua back together.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change