GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 01:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tablets, tablets and more tablets!  (Read 2658 times)
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: December 26, 2012, 07:41 PM »

I have been looking at the many tablet offerings, and my head is swimming.
I am mostly looking for internet, and media consumption (Netflix, ebooks, photo sharing, etc.)

Is the Ipad mini's non retnia display really that bad?
Is the Kindle Fire HD all slugish?
Is the Nexus 7 really an option?

HELP!
CV

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 07:57 PM »

The mini is amazing in my opinion.  The text is a bit fuzzy compared to the larger iPad, but completely fine and useable.  In fact, if you did not look at them side by side, I don't think you would notice a difference. 

Also, I like the 4x3 ratio of the iPads much better than the androids movie format.  The movie format is fine for a movie, but terrible for web surfing which is what I spend most if my time doing on the tablet.    Just view a few random pages with each device - my fire shows half the information for the same site due to its super narrow screen size - it's just not even comparable.  Believe me, the slightly sharper text fails in comparison to having to scroll all the time.

Anyhow, all that's my 2 cents on them. 

I've read probably over 100 books on my iPad 2 which has less sharp text than the mini and really like it.  I couldn't go back to paper books that's for sure.

6 kite tom
cerfvoliste

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 08:08 PM »

Thanks Tom

How do you feel about storage? Is 16 GB enough?
CV

tpatter

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 08:08 PM »

Kindle fire HD is great, but its no iPad.   The annoying thing about  the fire is that it is so Amazon store oriented - so much so that it makes you think they should give them away.  
But, for the $ it's hard to complain.  I guess you could say the same for apple, but there is just so much more available.

In any case, the iPad has apps for everything - kindle, google play, amazon video, ibooks, itunes, etc so you can access everything and have more choices.  

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 08:15 PM »

I always go 32.   With lots of apps, the storage can go fast.  16 is ok if you don't plan on a hundred apps or lots of music.  To me, the extra storage is worth the extra cost, especially since most of them are fixed memory size (not upgrade able).

6 kite tom
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 04:27 AM »

I am an android fan....I have an Asus transformer 16g first gen and a Samsung galaxy tab 8.9 16g (as well as two android phones, 1 iPhone and two touches)

Have used  the tablets for everything from a widescreen GPS nav system (Google maps) to reading (kindle ap, Adobe reader, and the Asus library ap)  games, 'art', kite forum reading, picture and video uploading, movie watching, music streaming and more......

I like that the transformer has a micro SD slot....I have a 32g micro SD card that I fill up with movies for travelling...the Samsung does not have an accessory slot....
Highly recommend getting dropbox and/or Google drive for tablet use....
But I also clean out the unused aps on both tablets.....if I am not easily able to remember the last time I used it and enjoyed using it I uninstall it....it is still saved in the Google play store as one I had before so if I decide I need it I can easily get it...

The most important thing to me with the android tablets is the seamless integration of Google accounts.....that just makes life a little simpler knowing that if I need to get into my address book and update a friend's info it is instantly updated across my phone tablets and online....

No matter price differences go and play with them a lot....there are lots of personal aspects that you might like/hate in both.......screen size is the one I hear most....especially because not all aps for ios or android have a tablet version of the ap.....you might be forced to use a scaled up phone ap.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Tmadz

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 07:11 AM »

I have an iPad and a Nexus7 for my son along with iPhones. I think the iPad is the optimal size (Retina is awesome). My son likes his Nexus and has more than enough app choices from the Google play store, but we have had to warranty replace the Nexus because of issues with the miniUSB charger. Doesn't seem as stabe as Apples 32 pin connector or the new 9 pin connector. That being said the Nexus 7 works great on the Android platform, but admittedly, my son has not challenged it's capabilities.

As to storage size, maximum size is a must from my experience. I am intrigued by Thief's microSD slot for additional media storage. That is lacking on the iPad and Nexus. We don't travel much and we are savvy enough to map out hot spots when we do travel so we have been able to avoid the lack of external storage.

I am not a fanboy of Apple's, but I may be too wedded to them to make it worth the effort to migrate. Although, I am starting my own business and having the seamless integration of all of the Google accounts is certainly intriguing to me and something I'm going to investigate.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 08:04 AM »

Just looked at them all myself for Rhonda's Christmas present, she wanted one for reading & email while traveling rather then lugging books and a laptop. I went with the Nexus 7, second choice would've been the Kindle Fire HD which has a gorgeous screen. The final deciding factors, quad core + 1, 12 GPU's and pure Android. The Kindle and the Nook both were tied too tightly into their proprietary app & content stores although you can work around that with the Kindle by downloading the apps you want with your android phone, backing them up with ES File explorer, copying them to your PC (since the update to the gmail app killed attaching files) then emailing them to the Kindle. The Nexus screen was better then the Samsung, with whiter whites IMO. The final clincher though, which I didn't read about in any review over the 2 weeks I was researching them but finally found after buying the Nexus, the UI overlay on the Kindle kills multi-tasking, no background apps, no widgets that require background data to update your weather or news stories, no IM running in the background while you read. No SD card slot bothered me so I went with the 32 gig model, and you can get a cable to attach a flash drive or even an external hard drive if you just have to carry more music, pictures or videos then that'll hold.

So far it's been slick but she's only 2 days in. We linked it through her google voice number and she can make phone calls through it or her Skype account now. Runs her games smooth as can be with all that processing & graphics power. Loaded the Amazon & Barnes & Noble apps so she can get content from anybody. And Google Currents was just made for it if you're a news junkie, it is absolutely gorgeous.

Oh and the Nexus can run Dolphin browser & jet pack and although unsupported Flash (which i hate but is a necessary evil, and Dolphin blocks it until you ask to see it) so I'll sneak it on and except for Hulu she'll be able access all the content we do on a PC.

If you can get by a Staples they have all 4 of the Androids you're considering in stock.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 08:27 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 10:59 PM »

Regardless of platform, do yourself a favor and grab Flipboard, and Pocket. Both free apps, and if you like your news from the internet, Flipboard is THE killer app for phones and tablets.

Google also let's you upload 20,000 songs to the cloud with scan and match functionally, free of charge.

The android sharing between apps is amazing. It's so easy to get a scrap of information from one app to the next. With the latest version of Android I can even dictate posts with my voice, like this one.

Fdeli
SparkieRob

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 04:48 AM »

I got my wife a Galaxy Tab 2 7" for christmas, and it is absolutely awesome. I like the smaller size. Screen clarity is as good as my iPhone 4. A micro SD card (16G) to expand the memory. Loads of Android apps. After 3 different iPhones, it has convinced me to get a Samsung for my next phone!!

My 2 cents.

Tapatalk for iPhone.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
Tmadz

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 07:07 AM »

Regardless of platform, do yourself a favor and grab Flipboard, and Pocket. Both free apps, and if you like your news from the internet, Flipboard is THE killer app for phones and tablets.

Google also let's you upload 20,000 songs to the cloud with scan and match functionally, free of charge.

+1 on Fliboard. It's awesome. My wife can't live without it.

Fidelio, if I decide to change over to the Android platform, are you saying that Google allows me tot ake my music with me?
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 07:36 AM »

google music allows you to upload 20k songs.....it is a pretty nice thing!!!!!!!!!
https://play.google.com/music/listen
i use this and pandora for all music on my phone and tablets.....(and desktop too)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:38 AM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 07:56 AM »

I've got the Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1" Its nice. The new Note from Samsung is a lot faster than the Tab. I like the android OS. I can sync everything between my PC, laptop, phone, and tablet. I would def go for he 32G model. Its amazing how fast you use it up.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 11:34 AM »

Fidelio, if I decide to change over to the Android platform, are you saying that Google allows me tot ake my music with me?
. Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. Grin

Fdeli
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 11:55 AM »

I've got the Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1" Its nice. The new Note from Samsung is a lot faster than the Tab. I like the android OS. I can sync everything between my PC, laptop, phone, and tablet. I would def go for he 32G model. Its amazing how fast you use it up.

Denny

I'm really happy with my old Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 but the new one is still better and has the accessory for SD cards. In any event, for the old one I bought a converter from the native slot of the tab to a USB, another for all sorts of memory cards for $29; and I also bought an HMDI converter for some other $29 that allows me to see the contents of the tab, videos, etc., on a large TV or on a large projector!

I would never buy Apple since you become captive and on top of that you have to pay high prices! (iPod, iPhone, iPad, iPaid!). As captive you also become with Kindles and similar stories. Nothing better than open systems such as Android.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum