GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 12:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Santa" brought me my new LeQuartz!!!!  (Read 1586 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 28, 2012, 10:50 AM »

Hi!

Finally! I have now my new LeQuartz fully finished and I flew it today for the first time!  Cheesy

Here you have some images from the construction process (at some point I was so tense and concentrated I completely forgot to take more pictures...)
https://plus.google.com/photos/107184604178095062123/albums/5827053007099493201

And here are some pictures of the finished kite and a short video of the maiden flight:
https://plus.google.com/photos/107184604178095062123/albums/5827058912730569185

However, the wind was not collaborating today...
It was only a gentle breeze that could barely hold the kite up. Moreover it was very irregular very often falling to no wind at all...
So I had to row a lot.
Nonetheless, the kite flew in this little air, so I'm happy with the lower end of the range (it is not a UL in any way though).
In the video you will see an almost 540 towards the end (this is the bait for you to watch one of the most boring videos in history! But it is the FIRST flight of my newly built kite so it has a reason of being...  Roll Eyes   Wink  ).

I really cannot provide an opinion of how it flies due to the wind conditions. It seems to be slow at turning (or slower than my Soul and Talon) but I will be able to better tell when the wind is decent.

I can now REALLY appreciate the difficulty and hours spent in the construction of a dual liner so I can understand the prices of those hand-made kites in the market.
My deepest respect to all of you professional kite-builders.   Smiley

At home it has been chaos throughout the process since we do not have sufficient space (let alone a place that could be dedicated) for the construction... So I had to set-up and put away every day or every few hours of working. This was really a drag.

In any case I'm Soooooooooooooooo happy and proud of my first stunt kite build!   Cool Cheesy   Grin

Cheers!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 11:01 AM »

Congratulations!
Looking good.

Nice workshop, by the way.

Quartz: the best Fade-kite I know.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 11:05 AM »

Nice workshop, by the way.

Do you mean the place I went to get the laser cutting or my dining-room  Wink

Congratulations!
Looking good.

Thanks

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 11:31 AM »

I love your color choices! Congratulations on completing the build.

Fdeli
kitebug
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 01:25 PM »

excellente, este cometa es uno de mis favoritos!
i have almost flown through my first one, i think its time to build a second!

Volando!
Cisco
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 05:36 PM »

Congratulations Ara. It looks terrific.
trigger

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 05:56 PM »

Love it!  Enjoy
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 07:37 AM »

Today the wind was much better.
However, I'm totally puzzled...  Huh

It's as if I were starting to learn to fly all over again!
Apparently the inputs for this new kite are quite different to the inputs my Soul and TalonUL need...  Undecided

In the last 6 or 7 months I was not getting any tip wraps with my two previous kites.
With this LeQuartz I'm constantly getting tip wraps and falling to the ground. In fact I very often get both lines wrapped around the same wing tip...   Huh
I'm getting tip wraps even with the half-axels which I can now almost do asleep!

Also I have noticed it doesn't like too much to spin. On the other hand it yoyo's like crazy...  Shocked
I was trying to make some 540's just as I do with the Soul or the TalonUL.
With the same inputs, when I pop the line to make it start to spin, it instead yoyos. It is really strange.
I have tried letting it go deeper into the pancake and then pop... nothing, it yoyo's...
I have tried popping immediately after I give slack so that it barely flares... nothing, it yoyo's...
I have tried popping half way the pancake... nothing, it yoyo's...
 Angry

I have also tried to get the kite into a fade by diving, flaring and the fading. When I pop to get the fade, guess what... you got it... it yoyo's!

And it also gets into turtle really easy. Too easy in fact, because I want to start a trick and off it goes into turtle position...   Sad

Do you think I have too much (or too little) weight on the tail of the spine?
I currently have a weight of 10grams made out of 42mm of 10mm diameter copper tube

Other than this I cannot imagine what I'm doing wrong...

I would appreciate feedback from other LeQuartz pilots.
Cheers.

In my bag...
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 09:28 AM »

YOu have a balance issue with the kite.  REcheck ALL your frame specs and bridle specs  first.  Most common thing to cause what your describing is spreaders too low and because of that bridle too low.  If all that is right then you need to go over the sail and see if any seam is off. I've flown a couple le quartz and didn't find these issues so I would assume you did something wrong in layup or assembly.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 09:37 AM »

You just need to move your tow points back a couple of mm.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Hadge

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 12:36 PM »

When I'm setting up a new bridle I like to fit long pigtails to all the attachment points with maybe 8 or 10 knots about 1cm apart.  On the bridle legs I like to leave a long loop. Set the bridle to give the correct (or best guess) length for each leg when the loop is set at the middle knot on each pigtail. Now spend a few hours in the field trying adjustments until you get it flying well.  Once you have the adjustments right, you can then fit shorter pigtails to the outhaul and spine and retie the long loops to suit  or even tie the outhaul/inhaul lengths direct to the frame.

I'm sure you will soon have it sorted out, just some fine tuning.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 12:57 PM »

Gee! That sounds daunting!  Sad
I followed Tom's instructions for the bridle and I've checked all the lengths and knots, all the positions of the spreaders, the sail, etc...
Everything is correct.

I really don't understand what Denny means by:
You just need to move your tow points back a couple of mm.
Which tow points and move them which way?

Or you Steve by:
I like to fit long pigtails to all the attachment points with maybe 8 or 10 knots about 1cm apart.
Which pigtails? Where?

or:
On the bridle legs I like to leave a long loop.
Which legs and how are the loops to be made/placed?

I'm so "saturated" of building that I now see this as an extra effort that I really dread to do...  Sad

OK, I'll breath in deep and try it but please give me more details 'cause I'm lost.  Smiley
Thanks!

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 01:57 PM »

Hi Ara,  We sometimes get a bit over complicated in our replies!

Ok, the tip wraps are because the kite needs more slack - all kites fly differently and take some getting use to - My Pulsar is the exactly the same and tip wraps really easily because it is a very pitchy kite - sounds like the Le Quartz is similar.

To make the bridle simple - you will almost certainly have to make small adjustments to the bridle to suit the way you fly, it quite normal.  I've had a look at Tom's kite site and if you have made the bridle the same way you can try this - if the kite won't turn or spin easily you might need to shorten the inhaul line.  If you have followed Tom's plan, there should be a knotted pigtail at the spine attachment points. Try moving the loop one or two knots closer to the spine - so instead of the inhaul measuring 62cm shorten it to 60 or 61cm and try it again, it should turn more quickly.

Check this out if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.ian.ourshack.org/kitedesign/bridling.html

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 02:10 PM »

Great, thanks Steve.
I will try that and check the web site you reference.
Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 10:48 PM »

You just need to move your tow points back a couple of mm.  Wink

Denny

OK Denny, thanks to Steve's web reference I now know what the tow points are...  Embarrassed
They are the pig tails, right?

When you say move them back you mean towards the spine?

I guess that if I shorten the inhaul as proposed by Steve, I'll be actually doing that right?

Thanks.

In my bag...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography