GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 08:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a little more on the Nexus stack  (Read 1139 times)
dayhiker
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 29, 2012, 06:38 PM »

The factory made stack of five Nexus kites come with a carry bag that allows you to pack the kites without breaking them down.  I will buy one from Prism.  All you do is disconnect the standoffs & place the flattened kites in the bag.  I would probably loosen all the leading edge tip cords if I was not going to fly them for awhile.  They also have a one piece lower spreader with a special snap slotted T post fitting.  All Microns have this type of one piece spreader.  Since I used individual type kites mine all have the two piece lower spreader.  Others have said that the lower spreaders can pull out of the T fitting in the stack configuration.  Rather than buy extra parts I followed the advice to make them a bit more secure while still being able to break the kites down completely.  Some one suggested plastic tubing extensions on the center T.  I went to a farm supply store & bought two sizes of tube.  One clear vinyl tube is 1/4" O,D., 0.170" I.D.  The second is 3/8" O.D. 1/4" I.D.  The center T outside diameter is 7.360 mm or 0.28975".  The spreader diameter is 4.944 mm or 0.19465".  I cut two pieces of each for the "spreader keepers".  A 3/4" long piece of the 1/4" & an inch long piece of the 3/8".  I used a slender pair of needle nose pliers to stretch the tubes a bit to allow me to assemble the pieces.  I slipped each tube on the noses & spread the handles to increase the inside diameter a bit.  I rotated them on the pliers & stretched each one about four times.  I marked each spreader with a ring showing the depth it went into the T fitting.  I slid the 1/4" tube onto each spreader just past the mark.  I let them rest a bit & they became quite tight on the spreader.  I then spread the 3/8" tube, slipped it onto the T about half way & quickly inserted the spreader into the still expanded 3/8" tube.  The vinyl shrunk back & became tight.  Hopefully that should take care of it.  Buying individual ready to fly kites gave me five nice cases & five sets of 90 pound by 65 foot lines.  Two sets will be used with the Rev kites when flying short lines.  I will make my first flight with 150# x 85' or if the wind is high 300# x 100' from a power kite.  I am now beginning to gather red Microns for a stack of at least seven.  I like the assembly nearly as much as the flying.

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle

AKA member
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 07:55 PM »

This is a Vision Five stacj built by Jon Trennopohl. He talks and shows some adjustments he implemented on the bridle of the kites... You find this video interesting...

vision.wmv

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
dayhiker

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 01:55 AM »

Thanks for the video, it is helpful.  Flew the stack for an hour & one half yesterday it it did well.  I will retune the links now that they have been stressed.  It was the first time I had ever flown a stack.  I loved it.  Winds measured at 9 to 13 with gusts to 20.  Switched from 150 to 300 pound flight lines & even those were singing.

AKA member
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 08:22 AM »

Try some tails ..it helps slow the kites down and a little less pull... I fly on 275# lines...  They sing..  This is repeat of flying my kites in the spring time...  I have to say this is the best video I have ever put together... The music and filming go together just nicely...

Hunter.wmv

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
dayhiker

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 03:38 PM »

Your flying is outstanding.  This is what I aspire to achieve.  I was the only one flying in the park I went to & several cars parked behind me to watch,quite flattering but extra pressure to do well.  I especially liked doing full window width ground passes.  I was not as smooth but did okay.  It was the first time I had ever flown a stack.  I added some 15' tails that I happened to have after a few flights but I am waiting for a shipment of 40' Nexus tails.  Also flew a stack of 6 Trlbys, a Zephyr & a Micron.  I have a long way to go but it will be a path of smiles.  Thank you again. 

AKA member
dayhiker

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:36 PM »

12-30-12 staked & ready for first flight - woo hoo!

[attachment deleted by admin]

AKA member
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 04:43 PM »

Nice looking stack. Have fun flying  Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography