GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 05:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: beginner attaching link lines  (Read 1395 times)
dayhiker
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 29, 2012, 04:37 PM »

Could not really find any detail about attaching link lines to my stack of five Nexus kites.  The nearest kite store is seven hours from my home so I could not just go look at a factory set.  Most of the images I could look at were not helpful.  Kiteking.org provided the best higher resolution pictures of a Nexus stack of kites.  Before I found those I made an attempt at setting up the lead kite & kite number two.  I removed the bridle from number two carefully taping the upper link lines together & also tagging the center T lines.  I noted that the bridle line was much thinner than my link line & did not really have elaborate knots.  I may make a stronger bridle if the stack grows beyond seven or so.  I felt that the pig tails should be coming off the back of each kite so I could easily decrease the number of kites in the stack if desired leaving the pigtails in place & detaching the long lines attached to the following kites.  I thought the links should be locked into position somehow & did not want to rely only on the leading edge fabric to do that.  I first put the pigtail loops around either side of each leading edge fitting using a typical larkshead loop.  But this used quite a bit of the cord & shortened my lines too much.  Also I was struggling with the center T area where I had wrapped a loop around that fitting.  The best pictures showed the link lines appearing to be in the same position as the bridle connections.  I decided my first locations were wrong.  I moved to the normal bridle connection points on the outside of each leading edge connector.  After a bit I remembered the DynaKite website showed a video of connecting link lines to their stacks.  Each connection loops through the previous connection & forms what is a two wrap prusik knot. It is an interlocking larkshead in both directions.  That actually provides a grip on the leading edge and may be sufficient.  If not I will glue on clips locking them in place.  Look at the DynaKite video for clarification of this connection idea.  The other problem was the center T line.  Finally I removed the center spine allowing easy access through the T fitting hole.  I threaded my link line through the hole & attached it to only the spine with a larkshead loop.  After slipping the spine back in position I added the pigtail again interlocking it into the long line's loop in the same manner as the leading edge lines.  Each link line is then attached to each pigtail with the same larkshead loop that is so commonly used.  Repeat all of this until you run out of kites.  Small adjustments can easily be made by moving the knots on the pigtails.  I made the last two lower spreader link lines for kite number five one inch shorter as is recommended.  Now the last step, fly them & see if it all works.  Forecast for tomorrow is wind out of the North Northwest at 15 with gusts to 28, temperatures in the low thirties.  Will also be trying my "new old stock" Trlby six stack that I received as a gift from my wife with help from Rick Kligman.  Thanks, I always wanted a stack of these since seeing them so long ago.  I would welcome any comments from all interested in stacking.

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle

AKA member
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:54 AM »

Sorry, I missed this post. Still recovering from spending Christmas with Kristine's sister and brother and law, its nice to know that a couple can argue all day long, get some sleep and then start it up again the next day.

I have some experience with stacks, My Nexus stack has 5 kites with the one piece lower spreader and 2 with a 2- piece, I have never had a problem with the lowers coming off except after a crash. I do however experience the problem with my No-Na-Me stack. My quick solution is using a rubber band from one side of the lower to the other to add tension across the center T.

Here are some thoughts on link lines and pigtails

Remember to have fun

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

dayhiker

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 04:19 PM »

Thank you for the link to the stacking kites page.  I did not find it when I was on the Kiteking website. Your photography is excellent.  I really like the picture of the stock Nexus stack with the flags on top of the kite shop.  In your pictures of the seven stack I noticed kite number six still has it's bridle attached so I surmise you fly a two stack sometimes.  Seven must be dramatic.  I switched to padded straps after twenty minutes of my five at 13-15 mph.  I will use your tying suggestions on my next stack, seven red Microns.  I have bought some 90 pound .042" braided polyester line to use.  If I don't find out the Prism specification on link lines I am going to start with about 30".  What do you think?  The Micron leading edge length is approximately 27".  Some fly the Micron stack with only four links.  I notice you have a Trlby stack too.  I put a 0.20 pultruded carbon spine on the lead kite of mine today as the lower tip was folding under when I flew it.  I did not receive the special lead kite spine with my six stack.  Thanks again for your help & encouragement.

AKA member
kiteking

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 07:13 PM »

Prism link lines are 48" plus pigtail

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

dayhiker

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 07:05 PM »

I must add that I am impressed with the depth of knowledge, skill, & elaborate efforts of the kite community.  I am humbled & will be a bit more reserved now.  I will be a novice/beginner for some time & I thank you all in advance for bearing with me.  My lack of fineness while exploring this forum is apparent to you veterans.  I am sure just about any topic I can think of has been covered if I can just find it.  I may pose my questions in the future as help me find a thread about such and such.  Thanks for all your kindness.  Dayhiker

AKA member
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 07:22 PM »

Don't worry.

There are only a few of us who know everything.  Wink Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kiteking

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:50 PM »

Your photography is excellent.  I really like the picture of the stock Nexus stack with the flags on top of the kite shop. 

That picture, was taken at kiteparty by John Chilese

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document