a little more on the Nexus stack

Pages: (1/2) > >>

dayhiker:

The factory made stack of five Nexus kites come with a carry bag that allows you to pack the kites without breaking them down.  I will buy one from Prism.  All you do is disconnect the standoffs & place the flattened kites in the bag.  I would probably loosen all the leading edge tip cords if I was not going to fly them for awhile.  They also have a one piece lower spreader with a special snap slotted T post fitting.  All Microns have this type of one piece spreader.  Since I used individual type kites mine all have the two piece lower spreader.  Others have said that the lower spreaders can pull out of the T fitting in the stack configuration.  Rather than buy extra parts I followed the advice to make them a bit more secure while still being able to break the kites down completely.  Some one suggested plastic tubing extensions on the center T.  I went to a farm supply store & bought two sizes of tube.  One clear vinyl tube is 1/4" O,D., 0.170" I.D.  The second is 3/8" O.D. 1/4" I.D.  The center T outside diameter is 7.360 mm or 0.28975".  The spreader diameter is 4.944 mm or 0.19465".  I cut two pieces of each for the "spreader keepers".  A 3/4" long piece of the 1/4" & an inch long piece of the 3/8".  I used a slender pair of needle nose pliers to stretch the tubes a bit to allow me to assemble the pieces.  I slipped each tube on the noses & spread the handles to increase the inside diameter a bit.  I rotated them on the pliers & stretched each one about four times.  I marked each spreader with a ring showing the depth it went into the T fitting.  I slid the 1/4" tube onto each spreader just past the mark.  I let them rest a bit & they became quite tight on the spreader.  I then spread the 3/8" tube, slipped it onto the T about half way & quickly inserted the spreader into the still expanded 3/8" tube.  The vinyl shrunk back & became tight.  Hopefully that should take care of it.  Buying individual ready to fly kites gave me five nice cases & five sets of 90 pound by 65 foot lines.  Two sets will be used with the Rev kites when flying short lines.  I will make my first flight with 150# x 85' or if the wind is high 300# x 100' from a power kite.  I am now beginning to gather red Microns for a stack of at least seven.  I like the assembly nearly as much as the flying.

vertigo2u:

This is a Vision Five stacj built by Jon Trennopohl. He talks and shows some adjustments he implemented on the bridle of the kites... You find this video interesting...

--
vision.wmv

dayhiker:

Thanks for the video, it is helpful.  Flew the stack for an hour & one half yesterday it it did well.  I will retune the links now that they have been stressed.  It was the first time I had ever flown a stack.  I loved it.  Winds measured at 9 to 13 with gusts to 20.  Switched from 150 to 300 pound flight lines & even those were singing.

vertigo2u:

Try some tails ..it helps slow the kites down and a little less pull... I fly on 275# lines...  They sing..  This is repeat of flying my kites in the spring time...  I have to say this is the best video I have ever put together... The music and filming go together just nicely...

--
Hunter.wmv

dayhiker:

Your flying is outstanding.  This is what I aspire to achieve.  I was the only one flying in the park I went to & several cars parked behind me to watch,quite flattering but extra pressure to do well.  I especially liked doing full window width ground passes.  I was not as smooth but did okay.  It was the first time I had ever flown a stack.  I added some 15' tails that I happened to have after a few flights but I am waiting for a shipment of 40' Nexus tails.  Also flew a stack of 6 Trlbys, a Zephyr & a Micron.  I have a long way to go but it will be a path of smiles.  Thank you again. 

Pages: (1/2) > >>