GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 02:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bored With The "Other" Type Of Kites  (Read 1909 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: January 01, 2013, 04:34 PM »

A common statement on the Rev Forum when dual-line kites are mentioned

goes something like:

"I can only fly dualies for a few minutes. Really, how long can you
 fly loops before getting bored?"

Conversely, we dual-line fliers are guilty of discrimination on the fun of

flying 4-line kites:

"Sure, anyone can fly a kite with instant pitch control. That's why you
 people can fly without moving your feet."

I'm sure there are variations in these statements, but you get the idea.

I'll fly a Rev when the winds are over 10 mph. But even then I prefer to

"fly" the SLE Rev as a kite, (love dive stops), as opposed to perfecting

holding it still in any wind at any attitude.

Dualies are the airplanes, Quads are the helicopters.

I guess we should just love all kites.  Smiley

Me: Over 100 dualies, 2 Revs (master of none)

Happy New Year first thread.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 07:03 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 05:31 PM »

Rev's are kites with training wheels.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 05:58 PM »

Kites are a good excuse for middle-aged dudes to wave their arms around in public.

Add a few tip wraps and you also get middle-aged dudes walking back and for talking to themselves.  Cheesy
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 06:00 PM »

Kites are a good excuse for middle-aged dudes to wave their arms around in public.
I'll be living that statement in a couple months Tongue.  Seriously though take out a rev and get a bit more aggressive with the inputs to make for a faster harder rev style and its actually a lot of fun. Part of the reason I like the SLE in 10+ is the speed you can do things in with more control than the sonic.
dayhiker
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 06:38 PM »

The hikers say, "You have to hike your own hike."  I want to do it all.  Bored? get a power kite, that will get your attention.

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle

AKA member
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 08:17 PM »

John... I think you missed SLKs!  Smiley

I started out flying dual lines, then got into quad lines, I've flowing power kites on buggies a few times and have flown SLK's through it all. Hey, I like _kites_... not the number of strings leading to them.

I've often thought about why it seems many people only like 2 line, 4 line or SLKs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking only one... I've just wondered why it seems so divided. I think it really comes down to time and money. Look at buying several kites and you can easily be in that line for a thousands dollars (though, one can easily spend $200 and be just fine). But spreading that into dual line and quad line and you really run up the dollars. Spread out into SLKs and you can easily get into the 10s of thousands of dollars.

Personally, I like to put up some SLK's and then break out something with multiple strings. It's just what ever mood I'm in. Right now I'm showing some love to my dual lines. I think the quads had a good run and it's time to get back to something "old school".  Wink

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 08:30 PM »

Right about now, the folks that fly 3 line kites are grumbling to themselves that they never get any respect.  Roll Eyes

ATB,
Sam
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 04:10 AM »

Right about now, the folks that fly 3 line kites are grumbling to themselves that they never get any respect.  Roll Eyes

ATB,
Sam
3 line kites are a lot of fun......but not for everyone....I am happy being left off to the side in conversations like this.....

I am up there with tcope....put up a few static single line kites...maybe some banners.....then pull out an active flying kite whether it is a fighter kite/single/dual/three line/quad........works best for m e...but then I generally fly alone and am not a huge trick flyer.....and fly on a beach where I can bring adult drinks Smiley so I might not fly 100% of the time either...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
SparkieRob

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 07:32 AM »

I think a plastic shopping bag blowing in the breeze can be as mesmerizing as a kite!

Tapatalk for iPhone.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 07:41 AM »

There's a kite to suit all moods. Sometimes I just want to loft a SLK to enjoy the sight or sometimes for wind direction. To be social I'll fly with some people on Rev's. For real challenge and solitary flying I'll fly dualies. On the occasion I really want to work I'll pull out the arm power kites and am trying to get into landboarding. There's something for everyone, but isn't it all about the sky and being outside? (except for the wimpy inclement weather ( Wink) indoor flyers).  I just enjoy being outdoors in any location and throw the kite into the air.
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 11:53 AM »

What about power kites? Wink  I guess those can fall into dual/quad categories also.  I enjoy them all.
trigger

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 12:08 PM »

I am an infant kite flyer(6months) but have aquired kites for every wind.  I began with duals and 3 months ago jumped into quads head first.  I promised myself to do both and i have. It really depends on mood.  If i want some good tunes its the revs, if i feel i can concentrate i fly the duals and try to pick up a new trick or practice old ones.  Luckily i have enough kite stakes to set both up at the same time. 

Either way.... enjoy the wind!
Today i was outside with a customer and shes like... this wind is so cold its awful.... i looked at the flag in the distance flapping....   yea, awful... THAT I AM WORKING!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 12:20 PM »

That's one advantage of quads. You can stand still and look silly. Until you do the "Robin Hood" move, that is...

Allen, AKA kitehead
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 06:11 PM »

I am up there with tcope....put up a few static single line kites...maybe some banners.....then pull out an active flying kite whether it is a fighter kite/single/dual/three line/quad........works best for m e...but then I generally fly alone and am not a huge trick flyer.....and fly on a beach where I can bring adult drinks  so I might not fly 100% of the time either...

Rob & I would make great flying buddies!  Grin Grin
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 06:31 PM »

But even then I prefer to "fly" the SLE Rev as a kite

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Let's be quite clear about one cotton-pickin' thing right here. The Rev 1.5 SLE is not a kite, and nor should anyone attempt to fly it as such. This helpful link should make it plain precisely what it is. And continues to be.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document