Polycaprolactone - brand names Polymorph, InstaLock, ShapeLock, Friendly Plastic

(1/6) > >>

TBHinPhilly:
Has anyone worked with Polycaprolactone - brand names Polymorph, InstaLock, ShapeLock, Friendly Plastic, Plastimake - to make fittings?

This material has been around for awhile.  It has a melting point of only 60 deg C /160 deg F - so you put it in hot water and then mold it by hand (or form).  It can be remelted and reused over and over.  It can be colored with a number of inks.  The cooled product is supposed to be akin to plastic injection molded nylon. 

Here it is in a homemade KAP fitting.

The Friendly Plastic brand seems to be used in a lot of jewelry.  And comes in a pretty amazing variety of colors.

zippy8:
Quote from: TBHinPhilly on January 03, 2013, 03:05 PM

Has anyone worked with Polycaprolactone - brand names Polymorph, InstaLock, ShapeLock, Friendly Plastic, Plastimake - to make fittings?

I've been using Polymorph for years (ref. to it on FA from 2005) for all sorts of things. It's best either as a prototyping material or as a bodge. It cools to a hard, drillable material that's easy to form but difficult to make it look neat and tidy.

Something else I like but haven't quite got around to using on a kite yet is Sugru. This is a plasticine-like material that cures to a softish rubber with excellent adhesion. I've used it on all sorts of things from bow handles to tablet stands and door stops. I suspect it'd make an excellent material for LE fittings where a little give is needed.

Mike.

Ca Ike:
Sugru is good for repairing APA's but as a stand alone material for making fittings its not useful.  It does not hole up under tension without deforming and gets Softened by exposure to sun letting it deform more. The best use I find for it is making endcaps for rods and it seems to have a better shock cut resistance than the usual rubber caps.  I use reel oil or plastic wrap on the rod before the sugru so I can have a removeable cap or it sticks hard.

zippy8:
Quote from: Ca Ike on January 03, 2013, 03:51 PM

gets Softened by exposure to sun

I live in Finland. This is not a problem.

;)

Mike.

Tmadz:
I digress...Mike, thanks for the tip on the Sugru. Just bought some to try it. I'm a DIYer and I've been looking for something like this for a long time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page