GWTW Forum
February 27, 2015, 08:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eddy Glider Kite 12"  (Read 489 times)
twhite510
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 07, 2014, 04:40 PM »

So this weekend I decided to my hand at making my fist kite. So I chose aa Eddy glider kite so I can fly inside. It also looked pretty easy. Found the drawing here on the forum. I went down to the hobby store and scored some .030 and .020 carbon fiber rod stock. I also got a piece of .062 brass tube with .014 wall.( i used this to make someone folders for my sticks. I just crimped the ends to keep the rod from going thru.
 I laid out the kite on a piece of plastic covered board. That way I could tape stuff down as I was working.
Mind you this is all by the seat of my pants as I have never tried such a thing before.
 So on Saturday I made my first one. I made the first one with only the .030 rod for the spine and cross bar. For sail material i used a plastic bag from Target. It was a bit heavier than the stuff from the market.
 The first thing i did after laying out the schematics of the kite on my board was to cut my carbon rods.
 Next I tied them together and Crazy Glued the knot to hold it together. I set that to the side and began to cut the sail out. Never doing this before I decided to add some extra off the edges so I could fold them over to make a nice edge around the sail. I folded them over and Scotch taped the seams.I then set the frame on and used some light duty Duct Tape (99 cent store stuff. Really kind of crappy tape but it is light weight for duct tape)to secure the ends of the fame to the sail. (at this time my daughters kitten decided to help out. She proceeded to move everything off of my work area and try to heist my thread.) Note to self for next time do this in the Garage the next time.
 Once I hade it taped up it was on to the tensioning lines for the cross bar. I made this and the Bridle out of some heavy thread. got it to work ok. So i made the bridle.
 At this point I gave it a toss to see how it would glide. Embarrassed not so well. It just kind if fluttered to the ground. Never have made a glider before so I scratched my head. (This helps me think. I think.) I came to the conclusion I need some weight on the nose. Looking around the house for something to use i found a bunch of different sized paper clips. So I stuck one on and gave it another toss. Smiley Yes this time it went forward and down with no floaty stuff. At this point I figured it is time to hook some line up to it and give it a go. (My wife made me go outside at this point. I tend to be a bit destructive when playing around.) I hooked on some 20# specter fikshingline.
 So I never tried flying this type of kite before I looked at some videos to see how other people do it. I went out and started getting it to fly so to speak. I was a bit to nose heavy so I changed out the paper clip with a smaller one. That worked a bit better. So I spent the next hour or so adjusting everything a bit at a time to see what would happen. This was a good learning experience. Mainly as what not to do Cheesy. What conclusions I came to was I wanted to get the kite lighter. I also needed to shorten up my bridle. So I put it away (mainly from the kitten she loves kites! who would have known)
 This morning I got up and set out to make myself a better one with what I learned from yesterday.
To save weight I decided to not tape a seam and just leave the edges as i cut them. I also made the crossbar from .020 carbon. The sail I used a bag from Macy's. This way i could incorporate the star into my kite. (Got me a real fancy one now) I whipped this puppy out in about 2 hours. This time feeling much more confident in the kite I put on my nose weight on.clip this seems to be great as you can slide it forward or back to make fine noose adjustments.) had my shorter bridle too. I gave it a light toss (in the house, the wife and kids out shopping. so nobody to rat me out) and across the room she went. I am super excited now It actually really flew. Put my line on and headed out side. It flew way better than I ever expected it to.
 Just wanted to share my fun weekend with some fellow kiters.  I attached a link You will need to scroll to get to the glider. This is only the second time trying to post pictures.
Hope you enjoy
Tom
 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/126411661@N03/14837026790/
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 04:57 PM »

Looks pretty good! You are on the right track... Keep working on them!

A classic weight for gliders and fighter kites is that poster putty stuff. Sort of sticky and easy to change amounts as needed....

How does it fly? You can start of with a good flying shape and then tweak the weight and exact design to get a glider.

But, one question to think about is: do you want a gliding kite for indoors, or do you want a good flying and climbing kite?  A good climber is nice because you are not as limited to head height or so.... You can get the kite to climb as high as it can then you have a much bigger area to fly in....
You might find that your kite bag will end up with good climbers and gliders to use in different places!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 05:04 PM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
twhite510

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 05:39 PM »

Thief.
It seems to fly ok. As i said am really new to kiting. especially gliders. I bought a Zero-G last month and have gotten to fly it a few times. (that is a blast) I also just placed an order for one of Doug's BOP 36" UL. (I am super stoked about getting that.)  So I Believe this will be fantastic to fly outside in no to very little wind. Then I will go to my Duel lines as the wind picks up.
As for the type of kite I just wanted something to mess around with around the house and back yard.
 Tomorrow after work I will have my son make a video if it in flight and post it up. That way people can let me know if it glides good or not. (please tell the truth even if it really sucks. That is the only way to really learn.)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 07:37 PM by twhite510 » Logged
twhite510

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 07:51 PM »

So I have made a few more gliders this past week. Just trying to make them lighter and develop a better construction method. I am just Super glueing the rods on the sail using tabs and folding over. then adding a small reinforcement strip. I also as you can see tried venting this one. This glides and flies much better than my first go around.
 So here is a short video from this weekend. Flying outside in about 2-3 mph winds. I will try and get some shots of it gliding in no wind conditions.
eddy glider 12" on Vimeo
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:15 AM by twhite510 » Logged
twhite510

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 05:53 PM »

So this is my latest try. It is made from .020 carbon rods all the way around. The sail is made from a produce bag. it is .5 mil thick This one too is vented. This time instead of crazy glue I bonded the seams with my soldering iron low heat 270 F. covered the plastic with parchment paper top and bottom before adding heat. works pretty good.
 This has a nice slow glide. I did not have to add any counter weight to this one. This was my first test flight.

Any input would be appreciated on how to improve any aspect of these experiments.
12" Eddy Glider
poolking

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 10:38 AM »

Very nice. I like the glides you are getting from it  I tried to make one from some rip stop nylon and wood dowels. Have add several paper clips to the nose and it does not fly as nice as yours. I may vent it and see what happens.

Mike and Peggy
twhite510

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 10:54 AM »

Mike.
 Thanks. I found that the .020 diameter carbon rods and the very thin bags from the produce section of the store work best. This glider works with no wind. If there is a slight breeze it is too light. I also have some from .030 rods and regular grocery bags tha work with a light breeze. I found the vent works better for a slow glide. I used a masking tape roll for the diameter of the vent. Inside of roll. The rods at the hobby shops are only 3 bucks each for a meter length.
 Thanks again for the good words. Hope you can make some that work well. Also I have switched to earthquake putty to balance them. (Thanks Thief for that one)
 All the best Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

Smooth Winds
Smooth Winds

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum