GWTW Forum
October 17, 2018, 02:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magnet - dualline plan  (Read 18340 times)
KaoS
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2014, 07:55 PM »

I wanted to like the Magnet - but I found it a querulous little kite and didn't enjoy it

Me too!  Sad

A big, slower, less idiosyncratic version *might* be just the ticket.

... and I might find out very soon  Smiley

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2014, 01:26 AM »

I wanted to like the Magnet - but I found it a querulous little kite and didn't enjoy it at all. Of course it might just require better technique than I'm armed with (pun intended).

Interesting as I borrowed David's Magnet and came to the same conclusion.  Just a bit too idiosynchratic to want to spend my money on and then went on to buy a SF.

I've since picked up a second hand Magnet from Germany and am finding I connect more with it more than the SF.

Not sure this comes down to flying ability though as I'm sure I'm not any better than you Frazer.  Just personal preference.

Kevin, if you do build yourself one, please provide some feedback.

Ulzburger

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2014, 02:20 AM »

... The centre t arrangement looks tidy. Peter Maternus also uses this method.

Mike

Yes, it is the same centre t as Peter Maternus shows us at youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cSwbFOuJMbI). For the P3 he also used this type of center t. I have an image created, how to make the node:

BagpiperPhil

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2014, 02:47 AM »

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! I'm also quite happy with the result for my fifth build. It's nowhere near the cratsmanship that guys like Steve are showing here.
But I feel like I'm going to stick with this hobby for quite a while and being 23 there's still much time to learn and improve.  Smiley

I did choose this kind of centre T, because of the tapered Spine. The suggested LevelOne cross just wouldn't fit realy snug which I didn't like.
And if a centre cross made out of bridle line is good enough for Maternus and Alphakites, it's good enough for me.  Wink
Plus I was able to use the neon yellow briddle line.  Tongue

I also realy liked the original Magnet, but being a beginner it was just a tad too twitchy for me. The best Kite for me to learn with was the Sixth Sense, which lately just felt a little slow.
So I was quite happy when Kareloh published the plan for the XL, which hopefuly will be somewhere between those two.  Smiley
Krijn
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2014, 12:29 AM »

looking great!

mine is quite a long time almost finished (standoffs and bridle to go)

KaoS
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2014, 12:51 AM »

Another almost finished Magnet XL

Just got to tie the bridle  Smiley

Thought I'd use contrast stitching this time

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
glenn193
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2014, 04:11 PM »

fantastic looking kite Kevin.

interesting to see how it goes,

footage please.
stapp59
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2014, 07:46 PM »

Another nice build Kevin  Cool  Out flying it now?  Tongue
coogee

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2014, 02:54 PM »

A good looking kite...

Should be fun to fly.

Mike
photogbill
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 03:19 PM »

Great job! I like the color combo as well! That is Flo-Yellow correct?
Hi everyone!

Here goes my first Post Tongue

I just finished my fifth build, a Magnet XL. I gathered quite a lot of my kitebuilding knowledge from this board, so I wanted to share my result with you guys.  Cheesy
I wasn't able to test it, as the weather here in northern Germany is quite bad at the moment. I'm also quite new to stunt kites so my word wouldn't be too helpful anyway.  Lips sealed

Just some Info on the kite:
-wingspan: ~2,38m
-height: 1,01m
-LE: PT5
-US: 5mm
-LS: SkyShark Nitro
-Spine: SkyShark Nitro Strong

And here some pics Smiley

For the sail design I used the "Magnet-Facelift" design created by my dad. Some of you might know him by the name "Ulzburger" he's mainly active on the german board Drachenforum.net. You can find his Magnets on Kareloh's site with the Magnet buildsSmiley

Greetings from Germany!
Philipp
photogbill
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2014, 03:23 PM »

+ 1!

That is a very nice looking kite ... kudos Smiley

The centre T treatment looks a bit like that on Alphakites TNT (IIRC).

I wanted to like the Magnet - but I found it a querulous little kite and didn't enjoy it at all. Of course it might just require better technique than I'm armed with (pun intended).

-Frazer

BagpiperPhil

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2015, 09:43 AM »

Yes that is Fluo-Yellow. Sadly Icarex doesn't come in a realy bright green, which I would have prefered.
The Fluo-Green is just not popping enough imho, plus this way I was able to match the kites color accent with a matching briddle line from Liros.  Smiley
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2015, 06:23 AM »

This is my Magnet 112% SUL version.

Frame
Upper Spreader: 4,5 mm pultruded carbon
Lower Spreaders: 3pt
Upper Leading Edge: p90
Lower Leading Edge: p100 (full length)
Outer Standoffs: 3mm carbon rod
Inner Standoffs: 3mm reinforced glassfiber rod
Weight in tail: +/- 13 grams

First flight in a smooth breeze was very promising. Precise, slow, gracious in tricks.
Taz's are ultra slow, Multilazies very flat and almost around the center cross. Recovers from backflip position quitte easily. 1 pop [lexicon]yoyo[/lexicon]'s are not there but 2 pops are great.

Please like the Facebook page of the Magnet kite: https://www.facebook.com/magnetkite?fref=ts

mdilucca
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2015, 03:47 PM »

This is my Magnet 112% SUL version.

Frame
Upper Spreader: 4,5 mm pultruded carbon
Lower Spreaders: 3pt
Upper Leading Edge: p90
Lower Leading Edge: p100 (full length)
Outer Standoffs: 3mm carbon rod
Inner Standoffs: 3mm reinforced glassfiber rod
Weight in tail: +/- 13 grams

First flight in a smooth breeze was very promising. Precise, slow, gracious in tricks.
Taz's are ultra slow, Multilazies very flat and almost around the center cross. Recovers from backflip position quitte easily. 1 pop [lexicon]yoyo[/lexicon]'s are not there but 2 pops are great.

Please like the Facebook page of the Magnet kite: https://www.facebook.com/magnetkite?fref=ts

What did you use for the lower spreaders center T connector>  Would it be possible to get the sail blueprint as well?

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:25 PM by mdilucca » Logged

Cheers
Mario
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2015, 01:21 AM »

In this case is used an old FSD center cross. Just because i had it in the parts-box. Sascha (Treder) did a knotted bridle line center cross on his SUL and that works great as well.

Added a link for the blueprint. Guess i forgot to add it to the page.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom