GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 08:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Kite Nose Construction Technique  (Read 3039 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: January 06, 2013, 02:23 PM »

Someone asked me to post info on how to construct a snag-free kite nose so here goes. I'm not sure what inspired me to come up with my particular method. It was probably looking at (studying) other kite-maker build techniques and deciding how I was going to incorporate those for my kite builds! I first started this method while building a few L'Organics over 3 years ago! I hadn't been aware that someone else had an almost identical method until someone pointed it out recently on a different thread.

That being said, I thought that some may like to see the process I take in my nose-piece constructions!

First the finished noses of the 6th Sense I just completed:

Front View:

Back view:

The description area of this link will explain my step by step process:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62683296@N00/sets/72157632452482729/

I sew the front/back lip together first, being careful not to go beyond the LE sew lines for the LE rod pocket. Then I sew the two parellel lines that will form the pocket for the spine. Because of the tight 'fit' I choose not to sew along the outside leading edge of the nose like some kit-makers do because I don't feel it's necessary.

I'd be glad to try to answer any questions someone might have!  Grin
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:19 PM by photogbill » Logged
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 02:40 PM »

this looks great, I may give the same technique a go on my next build.  thanks for sharing!
photogbill

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 03:18 PM »

Thanks 'sugarbaker'! I hope the explanation a gave in my Flickr photo set wasn't too hard to follow!
photogbill

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 06:15 PM »

Thanks Steve!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 09:10 PM »

Here's another way of doing a snagless nose (no method is snag free if there is a corner somewhere Tongue)  I've been replacing my noses this way lately but I can't take credit for the idea since its been passed around the industry for a while now.

IMG_0643 by Ca Ike, on Flickr
photogbill

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 02:28 PM »

Here's another way of doing a snagless nose (no method is snag free if there is a corner somewhere Tongue)  I've been replacing my noses this way lately but I can't take credit for the idea since its been passed around the industry for a while now.

IMG_0643 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing. I have seen the type of nose construction that you posted ...or at least something very similar but with all the extra material and effort done on that nose-piece ....I don't see how it has any less chances for flying line snags ...if it doesn't in fact cause more! Most of the time the flying line is wrapping directionally from the nose downward towards the tail in roll-ups. That might not be the ONLY time a flying line would snag on the nose of the kite but I guess the bottom line is there is no perfect solution to constructing a completely snag-free kite nose for stunt kites!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 03:12 PM »

IF your doing a yoyo and you get the line on the nose its going to snag no matter what just because of the friction webbing has. THe idea behind snagless noses is to make it easier to get the line out of the snag in mid air before crashing.  The way my nose is done eliminates the snag you get at the lower end of the webbing which seems to be a more common snag.  AS for the extra material, there really is none. YOu just slit the LE about 3/8 inch in from the edge and slide the nose material edges inside the LE. YOu can do it all the way to the tip or just part way like i did.

Your way works and looks good too, but you can still snag the lower edge of the webbing if you get a line in the right spot.  No idea will be completely snag free as long as we have friction to deal with and the ever present slack management mistakes Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum