GWTW Forum
August 23, 2014, 02:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone give the FYI on this blast from the past...  (Read 1095 times)
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+18)

« on: January 07, 2013, 09:11 AM »

A neighbor found this in an ally...
I traded him a nip TOTL triplane which I think his son will get a kick out of...
Looks like new with no sighs of wear and tear, what can you tell be about it?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:49 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:57 AM »

That it will probably need a 10mph wind to fly and even then it's not a great flier.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 2

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 11:01 AM »

Spectra Sport made a WIDE range of kites.....this is one of the low end beginner models....probably came with a pair of plastic wind-the-line-on handles that was ready to go with twisted nylon......
My old shop sold thousands of the thing in our time.....and it will fly just fine as tcope said if there is about 10mph...
fly it if you want....tweak it into a single line.....bridle it into a quad line....it is kite that will fly...have some fun with it! just do not expect a whole lot of performance.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
whitebirdlover

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:03 AM »

That it will probably need a 10 mph wind to fly and even then it's not a great flier.

Yeah, I figured it needed a good breeze to get going. The construction is a little primitive with surged seams on the backside. I'm going to take it out on the frozen tundra this afternoon, the winds are around 12 mph so it should at least get off the ground. Thanks for the feedback...

@Thief, it did still have the handles with twisted line attached. And, it has a three point bridle, I'm not sure what a quad line bridle would be. All the existing bridle lines are single lines. Dooh, I get it  Grin  Brain freeze  Cheesy

Wasn't expecting a lot here, kids will enjoy it this summer  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:10 AM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:49 AM »

I have seen some innovative things come out of production kite skins like these.....
We had a kite flier up here in Massachusetts who went down to GoFlyAKite in Connecticut before they closed and he picked up some skins for 7' dual line kites.....he then had a blast with coming up with framing options and bridling options for it....just gave him a skin that was already sewn and that is a step for some people....
I think it was ceewan who took a smaller dual line skin like this and made it into a gliding kite as well...

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 11:58 AM »

take a peek at this:

From Martjin's Oostende 2013 folder

whitebirdlover

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 05:43 PM »

Got this one up for a short fly today before the winds took a powder. Sort of like a mega micron...
It's interesting for me to fly these "old school kites" just to experience some of what modern day kites have evolved from. Kites like this are all new to kids who haven't had one in their hands and old school or new school, the smiles are all ear to ear...  Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:49 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 06:37 PM »

It's interesting for me to fly these "old school kites" just to experience some of what modern day kites have evolved from.

We have to get a high end old school kite like the NSR, MEFM, Wasp, etc to give you the full experince of the old school kites.  Grin
whitebirdlover

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 06:51 PM »

It's interesting for me to fly these "old school kites" just to experience some of what modern day kites have evolved from.

We have to get a high end old school kite like the NSR, MEFM, Wasp, etc to give you the full experince of the old school kites.  Grin

You mean like this one?

Or this one?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:34 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 07:17 PM »

I've been racking my brain trying to remember the model of that spectra.  I had a 3 stack of those a long time ago I made from a few pulled out of a garbage can that I ended up separating and giving away to a few kids.  Fun little kite to fly in the right wind and works well as a stacker.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 08:02 PM »

You mean like this one?

Or this one?

OH YEA  Grin

Old school kites always plasters a smile on my face that last for days.  Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document