GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 11:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need Bridle terminology help ASAP!  (Read 887 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: January 07, 2013, 09:40 AM »

At the risk of sounding like a rookie to kite making ...I have a few questions pertaining to bridle plans & bridle-making.

I just finished making the bridles for my 2 6th Sense stunt kites but I'm not sure I made them correctly. They seem right based on were the tow point converges the three bridle legs. I'm hoping to get some advise and information before my 1st test-flight. All help is appreciated!

I've always used the terminology 'upper outhaul' for the leg between the upper spreader connector and the tow point on a 3-point bridle ...the 'lower outhaul' being the leg between the lower spreader connector and the tow point ...and 'inhaul' being the leg between the center-T and the tow point. Having said that I notice on several kite plans the dimensions referred to as simply 'A', 'B', & 'C'. One plan called 'A' the "incidence" ...'B' the "external" ...and 'C' the "discharge". I'm not familiar with any of these terms.

My 6th Sense called for these bridle points: A = 51 cm, B = 51 cm, C = 64 cm. On a bridle-making sight I found this diagram of a bridle >

If this illustration is the correct labeling (A,B,C)  ...then the bridles I made for my 6th Sense are correct! Does 'A' always refer to the "upper outhaul"? and is that also called the "incidence"? Does 'B' always refer to the "lower outhaul" and 'C' the "inhaul"?

sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:44 AM »

Diagrams are not always in that arrangement in terms of labeling, but your 6th senses should be right. 
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 11:06 AM »

Kite designers often use various names for the different bridle legs. In the case of your Sixth Sense - as 'A' and 'B' are the same length - 51cm - these will be the upper and lower outhaul  and 'C' - 64cm - will be the Inhaul.

Do A,B & C always refer to the same legs? no! HQ use the letters O (inhaul) A (out), M ( in) and S ( Turbo leg) AND L ( for a catch line)!!!  Huh Huh Huh...confusing.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 12:33 PM »

That diagram came from my site - the choice of letters is completely arbitrary and is only there so that I can refer to each in the text. In fact they're not even referring to bridle legs at all on that diagram just the general direction the point of influence is moved for a certain feel.

Go with whatever it says on your Sixth Sense plan, there is no standard letter for each leg I just chose them so I could explain letter 'x' is an outhaul in the page text. Sorry if that caused any confusion.

photogbill

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 02:18 PM »

Thanks for all the replies! At least I feel confident now that I made the bridles to spec on my 6th Sense. So for future reference ....which bridle leg on a typical 3-point bridle configuration does the term "incidence" refer to? Is that the upper outhaul leg? Same question for "external" and "discharge" as another builder referred to his bridle specs? IT's not at issue for me now but just for general knowledge, I'd like to know!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 02:47 PM »

Thanks for all the replies! At least I feel confident now that I made the bridles to spec on my 6th Sense. So for future reference ....which bridle leg on a typical 3-point bridle configuration does the term "incidence" refer to? Is that the upper outhaul leg? Same question for "external" and "discharge" as another builder referred to his bridle specs? IT's not at issue for me now but just for general knowledge, I'd like to know!
Comon terms for bridle legs are as follows(letters refer to IAns other diagram): 
(A)Up haul/upper out haul = towpoint to upper spreader attachment point
(B)Out haul/lower out haul = tow point to lower spreader attachment point
(C)in Haul= tow point to spine/center T attachment point
(D)Turbo leg = in haul attachment point to out haul attachment point of the tow point pig tail (usually the prussic knot on the outhauls to a knot where the inhaul is larks headed to the tow point pig tail)
(E) Tow point pig tail

Regardless of the letters used the orientation of the  legs is what you need to know.  Some languages don't have a direct translation to english so the terms may not be right.  As for the terms you mention I would assume "incidence"=inhaul "external"= outhaul "discharge"=UPhaul but without linking to the plans you got those from its hard to say for sure.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 05:58 PM »

Thanks Ca Ike,

A picture is always worth a 1000 words.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 06:29 PM »

Thanks Ca Ike,

THanks has to go to Ian for keeping his site up. Between his site and Andy Wardley's site there is an invaluble amount of info there for the absorbing.

http://www.ian.ourshack.org/kitedesign/bridling.html

http://wardley.org/kites/index.html
photogbill

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 03:35 PM »

Thanks Ca Ike,

THanks has to go to Ian for keeping his site up. Between his site and Andy Wardley's site there is an invaluble amount of info there for the absorbing.

http://www.ian.ourshack.org/kitedesign/bridling.html

http://wardley.org/kites/index.html

I'll second that!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography