New CANON Long Zoom SX500IS for Christmas...Hummm?

(1/2) > >>

Sketch:
Canon

chilese:
My suggestion is to start here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=dp_long

:)

trigger:
Thanks for that Chilese!!!  perfect amount of info to get started.

Sketch,

I also was disappointed with the cannon sx160 i got us for xmas.
I have learned to use it better and am happy with it most of the time with a few disasters mixed in.
  The pros: Zoom and MOVIES are AWSOME!
  The cons: Auto SUCKS!  cant take a picture of the kids. slightest movement blurrs half the picture. Flash takes way to long to charge.

My uncle is a photographer and he helped me.
  Use program or tv mode. changing the shutter speed helps alot catching the kids but darkens the picture requiring flash or higher iso.  I have taken some great pictures without the flash just raising the iso.

I guess I have accepted this is not a point and shoot camera. not bad for me, but not good for the wife.  The zoom and the video quality kept me from returning it...in addition to the fact i dont want a $600 camera that probably isn't a point and shoot either.

Good luck!

Ca Ike:
I think the sx series with the CCD sensor is geared more toward video with still capability rather than still photos.  I've noticed with most cameras the photo quality goes down when video capability is added unless they use dual sensors.  I also think manufacturers are no longer concerned as much with photo quality since they can be digitally manipulated.  With film you have to have a good camera set up and know how to set it, frame your shot, etc.  Now its just snap it, head for your photoshopesque program and if you at least caught your subject your ok.

mikenchico:
Quote from: Ca Ike on January 09, 2013, 09:39 PM

...  I also think manufacturers are no longer concerned as much with photo quality since they can be digitally manipulated.  With film you have to have a good camera set up and know how to set it, frame your shot, etc.  Now its just snap it, head for your photoshopesque program and if you at least caught your subject your ok.

I dunno, low light graininess and fringing is pretty hard to get rid of unless you're like me and enjoy a few hours of mind numbing pixel by pixel clone brushing. The race to get the highest megapixels although on the same size sensor was foolhardy and picture quality suffered. Thankfully that trend is running out of steam. How many people REALLY NEED a 16 mp camera? When was the last time you needed to print an 11" x 15" or larger print? A 4" x 6" print is fine at only 3 mp, the computer screen most of us view our shots on is well under 2 mp.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page