GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 06:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New CANON Long Zoom SX500IS for Christmas...Hummm?  (Read 1982 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 08, 2013, 03:03 PM »

Canon
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:49 AM by Sketch » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:22 AM »

My suggestion is to start here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=dp_long

Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
trigger

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 08:51 PM »

Thanks for that Chilese!!!  perfect amount of info to get started.

Sketch,

I also was disappointed with the cannon sx160 i got us for xmas.
I have learned to use it better and am happy with it most of the time with a few disasters mixed in.
  The pros: Zoom and MOVIES are AWSOME!
  The cons: Auto SUCKS!  cant take a picture of the kids. slightest movement blurrs half the picture. Flash takes way to long to charge.

My uncle is a photographer and he helped me.
  Use program or tv mode. changing the shutter speed helps alot catching the kids but darkens the picture requiring flash or higher iso.  I have taken some great pictures without the flash just raising the iso.

I guess I have accepted this is not a point and shoot camera. not bad for me, but not good for the wife.  The zoom and the video quality kept me from returning it...in addition to the fact i dont want a $600 camera that probably isn't a point and shoot either.

Good luck!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 09:39 PM »

I think the sx series with the CCD sensor is geared more toward video with still capability rather than still photos.  I've noticed with most cameras the photo quality goes down when video capability is added unless they use dual sensors.  I also think manufacturers are no longer concerned as much with photo quality since they can be digitally manipulated.  With film you have to have a good camera set up and know how to set it, frame your shot, etc.  Now its just snap it, head for your photoshopesque program and if you at least caught your subject your ok.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:52 PM »

...  I also think manufacturers are no longer concerned as much with photo quality since they can be digitally manipulated.  With film you have to have a good camera set up and know how to set it, frame your shot, etc.  Now its just snap it, head for your photoshopesque program and if you at least caught your subject your ok.

I dunno, low light graininess and fringing is pretty hard to get rid of unless you're like me and enjoy a few hours of mind numbing pixel by pixel clone brushing. The race to get the highest megapixels although on the same size sensor was foolhardy and picture quality suffered. Thankfully that trend is running out of steam. How many people REALLY NEED a 16 mp camera? When was the last time you needed to print an 11" x 15" or larger print? A 4" x 6" print is fine at only 3 mp, the computer screen most of us view our shots on is well under 2 mp.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:04 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
trigger

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 06:44 AM »

I was happy at 8-10 mp.  They can keep there digital zoom at the factory, i shut mine off.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 08:25 AM »

I was happy at 8-10 mp.  They can keep there digital zoom at the factory, i shut mine off.

More good advice - unless you absolutely need that long range shot keep the digital zoom off, all it does is effectivly reduce the size of your sensor, that is at 2x digital it is reading only 1/2 of the sensor area, at 4x it is reading only 1/4, that cuts your light in half or to a quarter so you're shooting at a slower shutter speed or higher ISO which either exasperates camera shake or introduces more noise. Much better to crop to half or quarter size using your favorite editor once home rather then introduce problems on the field that can't be corrected. The result of a crop & resize is the same as using the digital zoom without the problems.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Sketch

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:14 AM »

Canon
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:49 AM by Sketch » Logged
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:31 AM »

Dear god man.... CANON !

Mike,
I have my limmits.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Sketch

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 11:46 AM »

Dear god man.... CANON !

Mike,
I have my limmits.
DEAR GOD! MIKE!
 Grin Grin Grin Some how my mistake in spullin' Canon with too many NNNNN"s "CANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNON"
kinda summmmmms up my hassles with that new  XS "C"word 500 after my first Canon since my 35mm Canon daze days....experience. Kiss Guess too many years of flying kite in the HOT SUMMA' SUN AT CANNON BEACH has fried my tired ol' brain n eyeballs... Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 02:33 PM by Sketch » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum