GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 12:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KTAI 2013  (Read 3706 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: January 10, 2013, 12:57 PM »

In a few weeks, Las Vegas will once again host the KTAI show.

With CES, you get fanfare and advance press for months.

New car shows, similar excitement.

KTAI, not so much fanfare.

They do have a website and a Facebook™ page, but no yelling and shouting.

There seems to be a lot of new product coming, they just don't want us

to know about it???

The weather has been sunny, cool and very little wind the last 2 years.

However, walking around in shorts all day and trying new kites is a good thing.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 01:20 PM »

lets see....
we already saw the HQ catalog last month....a bunch of new things....
Skyburner gets outed here from forum members....
Prism?
Premier?
New Tech?
Gomberg?
ITW?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:01 PM »

Premier posted their catalog on Facebook a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.premierkites.com/collections/

Bit more genki love this year, but the Orbits color scheme might be a bit trippy for some.  A couple of nice cellular additions too.

This thread seems to come up on s fairly regular (annual  Huh  Huh basis).   And the common refrain is that KTAI is an opportunity for face time between manufactuers, distributors and retailers.... which is fine.

However...... a long standing view that I have shared with pretty much anyone that would listen has been that after the convention , I wish that KTAI (possibly with AKA support) would put of a PDF of only the new offerings from the various manufacturers.

..... If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
..... If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets.

As things stand, when you peruse the catalogs you will occassionally come across kites that were released 2-3 years ago with absolutely no fanfare.

ATB,
Sam

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 03:02 PM »

Whoa....premier is hosting a disco party on their kites.......
Looks like they put a lot of effort on the patterns and less on new designs............

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 04:54 PM »

Whoa....premier is hosting a disco party on their kites.......
Looks like they put a lot of effort on the patterns and less on new designs............
YEs pretty much thats what I have been hearing too.  LOts of new colors and schemes from premier but no new models.  Although some of the independant designers for premier might add in some improvements along with the new scheme.  PRism hasn't anounced anything new this year but Mark always keeps things hush hush until after KTAI at least (switch and zerog info getting out was a bit earlier than planned)  I would assume Mark is more concerned with getting solid production atm with the issues in china lately than getting out a new kite.  Most other new kites are already out.  FW, HQ, and a few independants have had stuff out for a while.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 05:49 PM »

John, Do you need someone to carry your camera around for the convention ? I unselfishly(<is this a word?) volunteer

have fun kurt
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:39 PM »

I barely made it in last year.

Kent Kingston (A Wind Of Change) used his smooth tongue

to convince the staff that it would be a good thing if I

were allowed in.

Although the outside demo day is open to all.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:41 PM »

..Although the outside demo day is open to all.  Smiley

What day is that slated for John?
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 10:32 PM »

Although the outside demo day is open to all.  Smiley

demo day was a lot of fun last year

inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 11:53 PM »

There seems to be a lot of new product coming, they just don't want us

to know about it???

This comes up every year. I understand why its not open to the general public but reports from KTAI used to be exciting in the late 90s but if they really don't want us to know I won't trouble them by buying   Sad

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 01:11 AM »

reports from KTAI used to be exciting in the late 90s....
Stuff like this used to be worth reading and worth arguing over. Or so it seemed at the time.  Roll Eyes

Here's a clue:- everyone on this forum is a potential customer, much more so than the average punter, so why not take a wild and crazy risk for once and try to SELL us something ? Not just make it and hope for the best but put some effort into making the sale. We like kites, we're already on your side.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 06:30 AM »

Here's a clue:- everyone on this forum is a potential customer, much more so than the average punter

I once demo'd for a manufacturer at a trade show when trick kiting was at its height and you'd think we kitenerds would be much more of a potential customer than the average punter. Not in the least; the majority of the people buying were hard nosed toy shop owners who wanted a cheap kite with the maximum profit. I got told off for trickingthe kite because it deterred that type of buyer Sad Now days we kitenerds must be really marginal, I seriously doubt we figure in many manufacturers thinking any more.

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 06:40 AM »

In a few weeks, Las Vegas will once again host the KTAI show.
With CES, you get fanfare and advance press for months.
New car shows, similar excitement.
KTAI, not so much fanfare.
They do have a website and a Facebook™ page, but no yelling and shouting.
There seems to be a lot of new product coming, they just don't want us to know about it???

To answer the question you asked:

KTAI is NOT a show for CONSUMERS......it is a trade show for the industry....if a shop employee/owner wanted to do "live" updates of what they are seeing that is a different issue and on them....not on KTAI as an organization....

CES is the abbreviation for Consumer Electronics Show....that is a different issue....but i think that the title of the show explains who it is for.

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:03 AM »

Now days we kitenerds must be really marginal, I seriously doubt we figure in many manufacturers thinking any more.
That's because, and pardon my generalisation here, they are a dopey bunch. If you cannot see the benefit in getting onside the very people that are as you put it nerds about what you're trying to sell then perhaps sales isn't the best area for you. We might make up a tiny market but we have a proven track record of buying kites, flying them such that others might see them and thusly reminding the general populace that these things still exist.

Quote from: thief
KTAI is NOT a show for CONSUMERS.....
I have no interest in attending but I'd like to know, within a reasonable time frame, what was there. Is it wholly unreasonable to expect a professional body that "exists to support and promote the manufacturing, distributing and retailing of kites and wind related products" to draw attention to itself on this huge forum about, you know, kites ?  Embarrassed

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
mikenchico
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 08:08 AM »

Premier posted their catalog on Facebook a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.premierkites.com/collections/

ATB,
Sam

Wow we are finally allowed to view the Premier catalog? I have downloaded it for the last 8 years or so, always password protected and they evidently changed the password on a regular basis since I would beg it off Steve but his wouldn't work with the one I'd download a week after him. I've written them yearly requesting a password and explaining that I felt Premier Kites were consistantly the highest quality imports and I would like to get a few more but because no dealers stock the full line I couldn't see what was available and that I had a local dealer GWTW who would order anything I wanted. They NEVER ONCE responsed, not even a  ... well to keep it family friendly I'll just say I assumed their response was - they didn't want ME purchasing their kites ... so we haven't purchased a Premier Kite in 6+ years ... although to their grief we do still fly some of the 40+ we already own.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:19 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum