GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 11:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TrickTail UL standoff sail fittings  (Read 779 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: January 10, 2013, 06:46 PM »

Okay, these things are turning to dust before my eyes.

Broke one last Friday. Upon examination these snap-on

fittings are close to all "joining the choir eternal" (Monty Python reference).

What fittings would you repair experts suggest I put on or should

I attempt to keep the kite "stock" and find NOS?

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 08:31 PM »

I don't know much about the trick tail... I don't own one.  That being said, I'd choose Jaco connectors based purely on availability. Second to that, I'd pick a screw in type that may fit the sail better (r-sky e.g.).  Switching connectors may require that you cut new standoffs in order to maintain the proper length.  Any close up of what is on it now?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:35 PM »

The standoffs actually are changeable.

There are 3 different sets depending on your definition of

Zero Wind

Low Wind

Mid Wind

The standoffs slide inside long female guides on the lower

spreaders and fit snugly into the sail connector.

I don't have a close-up.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:58 PM »

The sail grabber fittings are still easily available John if you want to keep it stock.  THe hard ones to get are the spreader connectors since FSD stopped making them.  THe HQ fold over connector is a close remake of the sail grabber on the TT but going to JAcos is a good idea and if  you make the hole tight on the fitting you don't need the o-ring.  THe screw type are great but need a smaller hole than jacos or sail grabbers.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 10:00 AM »

Bad time for this question as Steve, our TT parts guru, is out of action for a bit.

I never change my standoffs on the TTUL, so I'd go with whatever is light and secure. Jacos with the O ring if the hole is the right size. Anything BUT the fold over and snap shut type!

My feeling about "original" parts on older kites is if they suck and are hard to find, why not improve them. Some parts like the long standoff/spreader fittings on the TT are unobtanium but at least they're hard to break or wear out (especially on a UL). Unless the kite is some kind of museum piece, fly-ability should be more important than original parts even for a princess kite.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 02:46 PM »

I have successfully used jjaco's on all versions

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 02:50 PM »

Out of the hospital and now on rehab for a few weeks ... Fortunately the clinic has a liberal visitation policy and i

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:33 PM »

s only  couple miles from our home.

Steve
reddobie
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 03:47 PM »

Good to hear from you Steve.

John, the TTUL, I just got from Steve came with new 4 jaco fittings.  As Steve said the standoff fittings would break and 1 of them did, as I put the kite together for the first time. 

Mark

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 05:02 PM »

Yeah switch to Jacos like Steve said. Those fold overs are still available but they are old stock, same as you have on the kite. I remember Steve bought a bag of them years ago and many of them broke right out of the bag. I bought a New in the Bag Utopia a few years ago, it blew apart hanging on the wall within an hour of first assembly. Update those old fittings, the material they used just didn't hold up and once they get to a certain point they outgas, turn liquid and make a mess of your sail.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography