GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 03:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baby It's Cold Outside  (Read 2551 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: January 11, 2013, 02:23 PM »

High today in Las Vegas:

43F or approx. 6C.

But it's windy so the Friday night fly should be standards

and maybe venteds. I'll be bundled up. I'm a woos.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 02:52 PM »

Relatively speaking the temps/weather in the NE has been very moderate and we have only had a few light snows... most of which is melted away now.  No complaints from me, as it keeps a cap on heating oil expenditures. 

For good or ill, my tolerance for cold is strongly tied to the amount of sleep deficit I am running and my general mood.   So to keep the mood elevated, something from the lovely Kelly Willis and her husband, Bruce Robison.

Bruce Robison & Kelly Willis live @ the Granada Theater

ATB,
Sam

kiteman
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 05:12 PM »

Boy, your more than a woos. It's was 2 degrees when I went to work. High of 21. You poor people that live down south.

Don
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 05:25 PM »

Join us in July when it's 113F and we'll work on your woosness.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 12:57 AM »

Join us in July when it's 113F and we'll work on your woosness.

We live in that type of area, I've always said you can always put more layers on but you can only take so many off before you attract unwanted attention.   (from somebody who spent his youth with no layers on in the upper park)

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Hadge

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 03:47 AM »

Hmmm.....last spring some fool predicted a severe drought  for 2012......then it started raining. Now large parts of the country look like this.

My local fields have been bogs for most of the year...I'm thinking of taking up kite (mud) surfing!

Forecast for next week - Winds from the East, snow on Monday - tempretures down to -15 in places!! Huh

... Oh joy!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
dayhiker

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 04:12 AM »

Windchill warnings are something I'm listening for these days, time to fly.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:00 AM by dayhiker » Logged

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle

AKA member
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 09:21 AM »

19 F right now.... looking at a high of 31 F by this afternoon. Can't complain about the 'windchill" 'cause the alternative stinks....
CV

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 02:04 PM »

Hmmm.....last spring some fool predicted a severe drought  for 2012......then it started raining. Now large parts of the country look like this.
My local fields have been bogs for most of the year...I'm thinking of taking up kite (mud) surfing!

Forecast for next week - Winds from the East, snow on Monday - tempretures down to -15 in places!! Huh
... Oh joy!

That's our rain and we want it back. Send it with insurance please.

Hadge

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 03:38 PM »

... Oh joy!

That's our rain and we want it back. Send it with insurance please.

Wink Lots of folks over here would  gladly exchange some of our rain for a little of your sunshine right now!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 08:09 PM »

it appears it was just warm this week for the travelers in town for CES because now it's just past 8 p.m. and 27 degrees Fahrenheit and dropping.

Fdeli
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 10:14 PM »

High today in Las Vegas:

43F or approx. 6C.

But it's windy so the Friday night fly should be standards

and maybe venteds. I'll be bundled up. I'm a woos.

In Vegas we all can be a woos. I was flying in a t-shirt on Wendesday and by Friday  we had freezing weather. I guess our hot summer thin out our blood.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 10:56 PM »

We have a phrase here in Seattle.  It's not PC, but we use it on occasion - especially those of us from the east coast.  It's seattle pu**ies. 

I hate to say it, but I've finally fallen and must officially join the ranks.     I was out flying in perhaps 35 degrees today it was 'cold' to say the least.   Back in PA, this was a warm winter day!  The tougher of us wore tee shirts just to make a statement.  Keep I mind, this was an area of the country where amputation due to frostbite was a common occurrence.

Anyhow, it's all to say, everything is relative!  Smiley

One mans -10 is another mans 35.  Smiley

6 kite tom
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 11:14 PM »

Keep I mind, this was an area of the country where amputation due to frostbite was a common occurrence.

Roll Eyes

Lover of hyperbole that I am, that is hard to swallow. Anyhooo.... flying in cold weather is nothing to be scared of.

Simo Sivonen - the man can take a snap.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 04:13 AM »

8)The Endless Summer here in the Philippines  Cheesy

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 04:15 AM by ezme6 » Logged

"Do what you like"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document