GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 03:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SilverFox Pro 2.3 VS Widowmaker VS Solus ?  (Read 2555 times)
messyboy
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 11, 2013, 10:25 PM »

I've been training on my SF Pro for awhile and got used to the momentum and input of it.
Wanting to get another standard, which one has a style closer to the SF?
Should I go for the kite that has a different input style?
Or which one do you guys personally prefer?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 02:58 AM »

Personally, I prefer the WidowMaker over the Solus.

They are both very nice kites, but the WM is a bit more

forgiving than the Solus in my estimate.

But, in all honesty I didn't like any of the SF series, so

not quite sure if I am the one you should listen to.

Hopefully, you live near someone who may have one or

both of those kites. Try before you buy is the best.

If you can't try them, choose the one you think looks better.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 03:13 AM »

Sorry to throw another kite into the mix, but if you like the SF Pro then I would seriously consider the Flying Wings Soul, a highly capable, seriously underrated kite that is a real joy to fly.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 07:32 AM »

You can't go wrong with the Widowmaker. Still one of my favorite kites. I've learned a lot flying it, and it still comes out of the bag every time there's enough wind for it.
I bought a Solus last year, loved the way it looked, but I couldn't fly it. Couldn't tune it, either, so I didn't fly it. A friend who knows much more about kites than me offered to tune it for me, but he's had no luck after months of trying endless combinations. It's too bad, it's such a good looking kite...

Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:16 PM »

Interesting comments on the Solus, I love mine. Smiley  It does have a very unique feel but once you figure out what it likes, it rocks!

As mentioned above, you can't go wrong with the WidowMaker.  Still one of my all time favorite kites to fly - I own 4 of them and they are always in my A bag.

I would also agree that the Flying Wings Soul is one of the most underrated and underappreciated kites on the market.  If you like the SF Pro, you would love the Soul....and you can score one for a bit less than the WM.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:19 PM »

Interesting comments on the Solus, I love mine. Smiley  It does have a very unique feel but once you figure out what it likes, it rocks!

As mentioned above, you can't go wrong with the WidowMaker.  Still one of my all time favorite kites to fly - I own 4 of them and they are always in my A bag.

I would also agree that the Flying Wings Soul is one of the most underrated and underappreciated kites on the market.  If you like the SF Pro, you would love the Soul....and you can score one for a bit less than the WM.
I've been flying the Solus exclusively since it was released and the prototype before that thanks to George snapping it up at the KP auction.  It is a great design but has some quirks a novice flier will get frustrated with and even some seasoned fliers have issues with.  I will say its solidly in the advanced flier category as it pretty much demands precise line management and inputs.  Still its a blast to fly and I love the kite.  I've been working on some tuning options based on everything I have noticed trying to set up a few for team stuff and what others have commented on but even out of the bag its a great kite.

However its nothing like the SFpro.  Widowmaker, Deep space and seven are all good choices for a next kite with similar forgiving flying style as the SF but a lot better overall.  Having flown all of these I would lean more toward the WIdowmaker for a novice level flier looking to advance but still have a forgiving kite.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:24 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
messyboy

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 03:58 AM »

I see...
Seems like Widowmaker will be a better fit to my current skill level. (Although I like Solus sail design more)
Time to save some penny and train hard in the meanwhile.
Thanks for all the informative advice!  Cheesy
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:23 AM »

I see...
Seems like Widowmaker will be a better fit to my current skill level. (Although I like Solus sail design more)
Time to save some penny and train hard in the meanwhile.
Thanks for all the informative advice!  Cheesy
Ultimate choice is yours and you can't go wrong either way.  Best thing to do is save up and get a set of both Tongue.   My widowmaker set will be next to my solus set soon.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 11:38 PM »

In all honesty, from what you've said, it does sound like the WM's will be more for you and your style.

Although I am working on some stuff with the Solus Standard to make it feel a bit more like the UL and be a bit more accessible to everyone. I'm liking the results. If something is to happen I'll keep you posted.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 11:55 PM »

Just another idea.

You may want to consider the WM UL. it would give you a wind range to fly in. Of course it depends on your local wind conditons.  Roll Eyes

messyboy

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 07:15 AM »

I heard WM UL is more difficult doing pitch tricks due to it's light mass.
Is it a wise choice to get a WM std first cos I find it hard to fade and turtle my SF as well...
Wayner

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 08:37 AM »

I heard WM UL is more difficult doing pitch tricks due to it's light mass.
Is it a wise choice to get a WM std first cos I find it hard to fade and turtle my SF as well...

You are right about the less mass.

Having a UL give your more flying time when the wind is below what your standards require. Beats sitting at home thinking of flying.  Smiley

Let us know how you like the WM when you get it.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 10:56 AM »

I couldn't go along with the Widowmaker UL recommendation either unless it was meant to tell you to buy BOTH the UL & Standard.

WidowMaker / standard
  Weight:  10 oz.
  Wind range:  3 mph. to 20 mph.

WidowMaker / ultralite
  Weight:  8 oz.
  Wind range:  2 mph. to 12 mph.

There's no range increase there, you gain 1 at the bottom and lose 8 at the top. I still grab the Widowmaker as often as not but have never felt a great need to get the UL, we have 2 Standards.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:02 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Wayner

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 11:08 AM »

I couldn't go along with the Widowmaker UL recommendation either unless it was meant to tell you to buy BOTH the UL & Standard.
I support getting both versions they make a fine pair

WidowMaker / standard
  Weight:  10 oz.
  Wind range:  3 mph. to 20 mph.

WidowMaker / ultralite
  Weight:  8 oz.
  Wind range:  2 mph. to 12 mph.

There's no range increase there, you gain 1 at the bottom and lose 8 at the top. I still grab the Widowmaker as often as not but have never felt a great need to get the UL, we have 2 Standards.

Mike,
Sorry but I strongly disagree, that these kites are equal at these wind ranges. If it was who would every by the UL?

The WM UL is the ONLY kite all of our weekly flyers have in common. The need for the WM UL is based on local wind conditions.
At 4 mph the std need advanced skills to keep in the air, has a limited range of tricks and any tricks loses a LOT of attitude. Where as the UL has a fully loaded sail, access to the entire wind window and floats through tricks, losing little to no attitude.

I total agree, in preferring the std over the UL for trickability when the wind allows for the std. but our local light winds have me flying the WM UL or shadow a lot. Beats being grounded.  Grin

I made my recommendation based on two issues.
 1. Messyboys previous post where he was looking for a UL or even an SUL for his low wind conditions.
 2. My experience not having a UL and trying to fly in light winds. It got frustrating quick. Buying the Shadow easily solved my problem.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 07:57 AM »

I guess I was confusing too, I read your post as the UL had a wider wind range, I was just pointing out it has a narrower wind range of only 7 mph vrs the standards 17 mph. I agree that with both you have a kite for almost all conditions you can feel the wind on your neck, the standard goes pretty low itself. I get a good low end increase on my standards in smooth winds by pulling the weight & upper spreader (not for bumpy winds) which drops those 2 oz the UL drops. If your low winds are bumpy though doing that isn't recommended as you'll get some nose distortion during the higher bumps.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum