GWTW Forum
April 25, 2014, 02:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SilverFox Pro 2.3 VS Widowmaker VS Solus ?  (Read 1977 times)
freestyle
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 10:55 AM »

Just to add my 2 cents as having had the WM and Solus in Std and U/L.

I bought the Solus expecting a kind of Widowmaker that was more suited to precision. I am sure it's just me but I did not like it at all. I flew both STd and U/L and could not get anywhere and I was really disappointed. I sold them both with about 2 or 3 hours fly time on them on here and they were pretty and I dropped a fortune to get rid of them. They are bigger than the W/M and maybe I could not handle that...

I bought the W/M standard and U/L too - before the Soluses (Solii?) - totally different animal. IMO the W/M is one of the best go to kites ever made... it is just fun! the U/L will sail around in 2 mph no probs and is good to about 5 maybe a little more. The Std was great from 4 or 5 on up to 14(+?) and then you need brakes cos it is quick. Personally I found both Std and U/L would fade and turtle easily (fades are insane on this kite - park it and have a coffee) For the money, for a full size kite, there are only a few that come close to doing everything they do. Interestingly they hold quite a bit of value compared to the Solus - maybe that says something.

I know nothing of the Soul but since you are moving up from the SF I would try that first. If you can score a used one to try out and not lose a lot of money or someone will lend you one that would be best. But I can guarantee that you can buy a WM and not be dissapointed.

Hope that helps - good luck
messyboy
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 07:54 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback. I've got my hands on a WMUL for a session and i feel that it's a really floaty kite!
However, I feel that it's quite hard to control and not that responsive, maybe due to it's lack of mass and my lack of skills, even basic half axels aren't that smooth as what I've done on the SF... feels as if the tip is 'heavier' and has lots of inertia.

Makes me wonder if the WMstd will act the same way? Hopefully not. Cos I'm quite sold into getting one.  Smiley
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 04:08 PM »

This best ting to do is Call Jon T at the store and discuss it with him... He loves the Widow Maker Ul...

I have two of them and they are Very different from the std.  If winds are Sssoo low I go for my Ocius Sul... But I usually fly my Widow Maker Ul ... When the wind is up around 6mph-7mph..

I usually change kites to Std. There is a sense of "pull" I perfer so I changed kites to maintain the same same.

The Std will also fly at low winds.  3 mph not a problem... You adjust the bridle and your ready to go...

I am not so sure all kites go through the Testing that Jon Trennopohl puts his kites through...  If you have never talked to Jon or met him you've missed a good moment in your kite life.  He backs what he builds. 

Truth said it's one of the top three kites on the market ... The cost is cheap compared to the others and Fly's just as Good or Better.
Besides if your like me and can't do every trick what difference does it make...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The Solus and Widow Maker are Two 2 to too different Kites and fly with 2 two too to different inputs .. The Solus is larger.  The input is different... Can't fly it like a Widow Maker inputs or Ocius inputs... Won't do it.  She'll teach you if you let her ....

I have 2 sets of Widow Makers  and am planning on another new Ultra Lite for a color change ...  Jon has been building Widow Makers for how many years now Huh 

You mentioned the kite felt floaty ..sure bridle was set up for the right wind Huh  Means a lot ...

You won't go wrong with the Std.  You'll be surprised at how it acts in low wind.  One day I set up wrong kite.  Flew all day in low wind... turned out to be my Standard Widow Maker ...

p.s.- How Often do you see  Huh Huh Huh Widow Makers in the Swap for sale Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
If so they are not because of performance.  Wink Wink Wink
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:15 PM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 04:26 PM »

I've got my hands on a WMUL for a session and i feel that it's a really floaty kite!

That is what a UL is all about  Cool

I feel that it's quite hard to control.

Not sure what you mean by lack of control.   Huh 

WM UL has very good precision and feel in low winds. Are you taking about flying of trying to do tricks?  Roll Eyes

I feel that it's not that responsive, maybe due to it's lack of mass and my lack of skills, even basic half axels aren't that smooth as what I've done on the SF... feels as if the tip is 'heavier' and has lots of inertia.

ULs require changes in timing and inputs. Your UL skills will get better.  Grin 

As a heavy handed flyer I can attest to UL don't respond well to being pounding around.  (I can hear Chilese yelling at me now Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy)  Their flexable frames requires better timed inputs and strong inputs results in more frame flexing than kite rotation.

While standards are eaiser to fly. I have become a better flyer because of ULs. They are slower, allow more time to watch & learn tricks. Plus they require better control and timing on inputs. My local winds produce lots of UL flying time while the standards are in the bag.

Makes me wonder if the WMstd will act the same way? Hopefully not. Cos I'm quite sold into getting one.  Smiley

The WMstd will act like others standards. My WM std had Nitro rods. Makes for a stiffer frame, always another option to consider. 

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 04:51 PM »

I'll admit it took me quite a long while to get used to the WM line. Dont give up, the WMUL is a fine bird, just probably a lot lighter and more flexible then most might be used to. Keep plugging away and eventually things will fall into place, probably sooner then later.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 10:33 PM »

I'll admit it took me quite a long while to get used to the WM line. Dont give up, the WMUL is a fine bird, just probably a lot lighter and more flexible then most might be used to. Keep plugging away and eventually things will fall into place, probably sooner then later.
QUite right here and the same goes for the solus ul.  These kites being so light and flexible need to be flown with more finesse and virtually no "pop" in the inputs or you lose a lot of the momentum you need when the frame flexes.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 09:44 AM »

Transformer SUL - it's like using a surgical instrument and you'll never miss your standard while flying it.

6 kite tom
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography