GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 06:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta conyne flying off center to left... Got 'R' Tuned  (Read 1434 times)
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+19)

« on: January 11, 2013, 10:28 PM »

This Sun Oaks conyne from 1984 wants to fly off to the left of center. I tried adjusting the l.e. spars forward and back in an attempt to compensate, no change. It occurred to me the kite may have so many hrs. flying that the sail has become fatigued, more on one side than the other resulting in the off center flight. Any suggestions for correcting the problem? Here's a pic in flight a few days ago, about 8-12 mph. wind. The l.e. spars are about 2-3 in. forward from being seated in the rear of the wing.

Thanks for any input in this one. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:48 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 04:39 AM »

Try switching the edge spars right to left....if it then leans to the right you know that one side is heavier.....

Edge rods should be pushed to the wimgtips always......that provides the largest sail area

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 05:38 AM »

Perhaps it is only an optical illusion from the picture, but the right sail seems to be a bit larger (more open) than the left sail. So the right sail would catch more wind and push the kite up on the right and hence make it spin left.
Perhaps the spreader is not spreading the two sails alike.
Maybe if you somehow force the spreader to the left to make the left sail open more then it would become more balanced.
Maybe tie the spreader to the longerons making sure the two sides are equally long (Or even make a bias to the left just as a test flight).
Hope this helps.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
whitebirdlover

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 07:53 AM »

Try switching the edge spars right to left....if it then leans to the right you know that one side is heavier.....

Edge rods should be pushed to the wimgtips always......that provides the largest sail area

I made these spars to replace the ones the post office had trashed in shipping. I usually do seat them to the rear pocket but was trying adjustments to see if it mattered. I have a twin to this one that flies dead on center, it's a few years newer. I'll try the spars from that one and put these spars in the one that flies on center and see if that takes it off course.

By the way what part of the kipe is the "wimgtip"  Wink
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:55 AM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
whitebirdlover

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 08:01 AM »

@ Ara, the spreader on this one is very taught and pulls the fabric tight on each side. In fact I am going to make it a little shorter to relieve some of tension, it's very hard to set it up due to the tension. It's twin is very easy to place the spreader. This is all wood spars and spreader. I'm going to do a very careful evaluation of the sail geometry this weekend. We're having very high winds and very cold temps so a good time to play inside.

Anthony
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 09:34 AM »

As Theif mentioned, I'd switch the left and right leading edges. Wood spars are not very consistent. You mention that one is tight. If that is correct then it would seem that they might be a different length. Different lengths and different bends means that the sail shape is going to be different. This is what usually throws a kite off to one side.

Or the line you are using could be crooked.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
whitebirdlover

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 10:16 AM »

As Theif mentioned, I'd switch the left and right leading edges. Wood spars are not very consistent. You mention that one is tight. If that is correct then it would seem that they might be a different length. Different lengths and different bends means that the sail shape is going to be different. This is what usually throws a kite off to one side.

Or the line you are using could be crooked.

It's the cross spreader that is tight. The edge rods are equal length. I'm going to change them out for another set from it's twin that flies straight and that should address the rod issues. I'll give it a fly later today when the winds settle down a bid and let ya know what happens.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:19 AM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 10:54 AM »

I'd not swap them out with the other kite as each sail may be slightly different. You are then bringing another variable into the equation. If you change the leading edge right for left, the sail stays the same.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
whitebirdlover

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 11:45 AM »

I'd not swap them out with the other kite as each sail may be slightly different. You are then bringing another variable into the equation. If you change the leading edge right for left, the sail stays the same.

Yup, the sail is quit a bit different. A bit shorter and a different fabric pattern on the sail. A bit narrower on the square rods as well. I shortened the spreader a bit to take some of the tension off, it was WAY tight. Off to the lake to check it out... Brrrrr...

Anthony
whitebirdlover

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 03:52 PM »

Well, I shortened the cross spreader a bit to releave some of the tension and that helped. The winds were 12 -15 and bumpy so I attached a 25' length of Tibetan prayer flags and she flew like a champ. Temps were around 12 degrees with a -5 wind chill... Brrr...
Out of focus pic and a short video...
Haven't figured out how to embed video from Picasa .

https://picasaweb.google.com/108727946454916120295/NokomisFly?authkey=Gv1sRgCMXi0YDhvpuqWg#5832710482075221010

Thanks for the advice on this one! I did find the sail is a bit out of symmetry but, hey, after 28 yrs. no surprise there. Anyway she flies real nice with those flags attached and probably would do good with tubes as well. 
Smiley 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:01 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 05:39 AM »

At this time there is no way that I have found to embed a picasa video.....instead I just upload it from the computer to YouTube and go from there....just as easy...

One of the best things about the Sun Oaks dc is what a workhorse it is.....we had a friend who has multiple of them and each kite would get 4 tails (2 on the wingtips  and one at the end of each spine)....then he would start hanging his line laundry.....I think his record was 50 pieces hanging......every weekend you could see if Michael was flying at Brenton Point State park from miles away......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:00 AM »

Great! Well done.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change