GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 04:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I had a Near Disaster on my Invictus build!  (Read 807 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: January 13, 2013, 03:27 PM »

Absentmindedly I laid my kite sail down on a table that had a 'hot' soldering iron on it & nearly ruined my kite! I had used the soldering iron to burn a small hole in the center of the 'center-T' rub patch for centering & attaching it to the kite, leaving the soldering iron on the work bench I was working on. I should have immediately put the soldering iron away in a safe place far away from any work area! A little later after sewing the top rub patch on the sail I took the kite over to check it out in better light & that is when I laid the kite down on top of the soldering iron!

Stupid! Dumb! Idiotic! < < < All three apply but fortunately for me the damage was done in an area I could repair without the repair being too noticeable! It was on one panel ONLY & there was no damage to a seam or the leading edge strip ...both of which the damage was close to!

I 1st though about just placing a patch the same color & fabric over the damaged area after cutting out the melted fabric. But then I would need to seam-tape & sew the seam in order to trust the repair to hold! Then I came up with a much better solution IMO. Since the damaged panel was between a black pin-stripped seam and the 'black' LE strip, I decided on using black ripstop patch between those two points. I took my colorizer I made before starting the kite into Photoshop & started seeing what I might be able to do. I quickly came up with the below solution! I put matching "patch" on the opposite side of the kite to help hide the fact that there had been a problem.

All in All I feel very fortunate that the damage wasn't much much worse. It could have easily been. If no-one knew ahead of time about the mishap ...and as long as they are about 5 feet away from the kite ...I don't think anyone would have guessed there had ever been a problem ....(that is excluding everyone that has read/looked-at this thread & my original build thread!)  Grin

I didn't take a picure immediately after the damage was done but here is one I took with the cut out burned ripstop from the back of the kite after my repair ...and how the 'new' panel design looks!  Huh

The 'new' look:

I really 'bit the bullet' on this one! It could have turned out much much worse! I even half-way think the kite looks pretty cool with the repaur patches!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 05:38 PM »

It does look good.

"Experience gaines is directly proportional

to things ruined."

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 06:28 PM »

That is an ugly feeling, no doubt about it. Right in the pit of the stomach.
But, honestly, I like the new graphics that resulted from your error.
A bolder, more aggressive style...

Anthony
photogbill

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 06:37 PM »

Thanks John & 'whitebirdlover'! You guys have helped ease the pain!

I've added the nose and the tail pieces without any hitches and they turned out nice. Standoff reinforcements, rods, yo-yo stops & bridle are the only things left!

It's looking like I just might make it getting everything done before my trip.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:25 AM »

Had a thread once here or at Kitebuilde,r probably instigated by similar circumstances, about how to suspend your iron from the ceiling on some sort of retractable device. I had suggested one of the retractable dog leashes tied to the iron. I always live in fear of doing the same thing and try to put the hot iron on another table when done, doesn't always happen though.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 03:05 PM »

whahaha, ohsorry: ouch...

nicely hidden now!
coogee

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 03:21 PM »

Good patch up job, kite looks great. I like the red white and black combo.
 Mike
photogbill

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:36 PM »

ThanksMike, Mike & Krijn!

WEll...I finished everything except the bridle & attaching the yo-yo stoppers! I did a quick assemble for some photos ...before getting the kite boxed up and mailed down to my travel destination. I was worried about it arriving on time. Not sure if my standoffs and spreader connectors are adjusted right because there seems to be some 'bagginess' in the sail. I'm not sure why or if it will affect flight.

Here's a few pics:

Full view:

Nose:

Stand-off front & back:

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:38 PM by photogbill » Logged
Doug S

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 09:31 AM »

Been there and done that.  I save my mistakes and have them hanging in my work shop as a reminder to keep the soldering iron off to the side on my work table.

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
photogbill

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 04:18 PM »

Been there and done that.  I save my mistakes and have them hanging in my work shop as a reminder to keep the soldering iron off to the side on my work table.

Doug

Good Idea Doug! ...kinda like putting a picture of a fat guy on the refrig .....LOL!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography