GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 02:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I decided on an Invictus for my New build.  (Read 701 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: January 12, 2013, 05:08 PM »

Thanks to 'sugarbaker's' suggestion and 'krijin's' shared info & videos, I decided to build an Invictus while I have some free time on my hands! I might not be able to completely finish it as quickly as I'd like due to an upcoming planned vacation & work schedules afterwards but I decided to try and get as much done on it as possible beforehand. I also need to order some rods for it but I haven't decided on what version of it to make yet, a standard or an UL!

The panels are all done & the sewing went well! I decided on pin-striping a few of the panels like I did on the 6th sense. It looks like Dave made the keel a little different than what I'm used to so I'll be checking out some of his detailed photos to try and figure out how he constructed it. If I can't figure it out, I'll resort to making it the way I'm accustomed to on previous builds! The nose-piece is constructed differently as well but I shouldn't have any problem duplicating that process. The nose forms a slight forward cupping on the Invictus due to the spine rod being recessed from the very tip of the nose ...very similar to what I have seen on the Cosmic TCs & like the new Benson Superfly.

Anyway, here's a photo of my progress so far:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:12 PM by photogbill » Logged
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:09 PM »

looks good!  I like those colors... maybe because it's similar to the one I built! 

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:32 PM »

Sweet!   Love red/white/black/grey.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:03 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 11:21 PM »

Wow photogbill, you're fast!
You break the meaning of the phrase: "it's easier said than done"!!!

Very nice build and colours too. It looks sharp.

Being a bit selfish  Grin it would be great if you and other builders such as sugarbaker (with such a beautiful sample too) would publish some of the tricky steps; how to overlap the two sails at the spine if there is a curve, the nose technique, etc.

Looking forward to seeing it fly!  Smiley

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 12:54 AM »

looks great!

maybe this will help: a picture of "my" nose

photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 11:41 AM »

Thanks for all the nice words! Black red & white (and/or grey) have always been a favorite of mine too!

Sugarbaker ....Yours was one of my favorites of all the Invictus builds I saw pictures of. Very sharp color arrangement!

Ara ...I'm not sure "fast" would be the proper word! If you knew the hours of time I spent on my builds, you might have used another word ....lol  Anyway, thanks and if I had time I'd try to make a video of how I construct my nose-pieces. Right now I'm trying to finish the Invictus in time for an upcoming trip!

Krijn ...thanks for the suggestion! your kite nose looks great but I' going to try my method again on the Invictus. I've already worked out the details and made a 'template'!

The kite is coming along well. Leading edge, trailing edge, top rub-patch, and leech line all completed. I hope to finish the sail and start working on the rods today! THe bridle may have to wait until I get to my trip destination. We'll see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document