Question about taking a kite as a 'carry-on' piece when flying!

Pages: (1/1)

photogbill:

Sorry for the double posting of this question on two different forum sections but I didn't know which one would be the more likely to get a quick answer to a pressing question.  I hadn't initially planned on carrying a kite with me when I travel down to TISKC. I sent several kites down ahead of me in my travel plans that I will be able to fly but it looks like I will be finishing a new kite I'd like to have with me for the weekend event.

Has anyone had any problems or issues with TSA for taking a 'single sport kite' with the LE broken down & in a kite sleeve when traveling by air?

DD:

No issues, say it is a kite. Dont make jokes about it being anything else. Let them scan it and inspect it without issue. I  carried 3-5 kites just broken down and velcroed together. If you talk nice to the stewardess they may let you put in in the closet they have up front.
Do a forum search for more info

goestoeleven:

Agreed with DD.  I've carried everything from several kites in a sleeve, several kites in a poster tube, several kites in a "blueprint" tube, to 10+ kites in an ITW or Rev bag onto the plane.  I usually get asked by the TSA and the flight attendants what I have in the bag.  As soon as I say kites, they say "cool" and let me carry them on.  YMMV, but I've only had to check my kite bag one time (coming back from KP last year) and that was because . . . I was coming home with another bag of kites from the auction. 

I'll probably only bring 2-3 kites this time . . . sticking out of my suitcase.

One note - I would not try to bring any stakes on board with you. 

jeepersjoey:

The issue I have had was the spine was always too long to fit in my suitcase.

I have a Prism Zephyr hard case.  When I went to Treasure Island I brought 3 REV (sail in suitcase, flat), three dual line kites (broken down), a Power Kite, three linesets (bring 60, 90, 120 in quad line and use them for the duals) and two sets of handles.

My key was to always say "They are competition stunt kites".

If they ask any questions, immediately say "It is difficult to repack but I would be happy to show them off!"

The coat closet does not work on Southwest b/c they do not have them.

If you MUST put in the overhead, wait until everyone is on and find a way to put it as far toward the front as possible.  Keep an eye on the overhead.  If anyone goes near it...jump up and help them.

I have gone on 8 trips with kites without any concern.

Only stopped at the TSA once.  They just wanted to look closer because they were slow and bored (it was early and not a soul was in line with me).

Make sure not to bring a kite stake on the plane!

Pages: (1/1)