GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 06:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about taking a kite as a 'carry-on' piece when flying!  (Read 496 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: January 13, 2013, 07:34 PM »

Sorry for the double posting of this question on two different forum sections but I didn't know which one would be the more likely to get a quick answer to a pressing question.  I hadn't initially planned on carrying a kite with me when I travel down to TISKC. I sent several kites down ahead of me in my travel plans that I will be able to fly but it looks like I will be finishing a new kite I'd like to have with me for the weekend event.

Has anyone had any problems or issues with TSA for taking a 'single sport kite' with the LE broken down & in a kite sleeve when traveling by air?
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 08:30 PM »

No issues, say it is a kite. Dont make jokes about it being anything else. Let them scan it and inspect it without issue. I  carried 3-5 kites just broken down and velcroed together. If you talk nice to the stewardess they may let you put in in the closet they have up front.
Do a forum search for more info

Sine Metu!
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 09:44 PM »

Agreed with DD.  I've carried everything from several kites in a sleeve, several kites in a poster tube, several kites in a "blueprint" tube, to 10+ kites in an ITW or Rev bag onto the plane.  I usually get asked by the TSA and the flight attendants what I have in the bag.  As soon as I say kites, they say "cool" and let me carry them on.  YMMV, but I've only had to check my kite bag one time (coming back from KP last year) and that was because . . . I was coming home with another bag of kites from the auction. 

I'll probably only bring 2-3 kites this time . . . sticking out of my suitcase.

One note - I would not try to bring any stakes on board with you. 
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 06:52 PM »

The issue I have had was the spine was always too long to fit in my suitcase.

I have a Prism Zephyr hard case.  When I went to Treasure Island I brought 3 REV (sail in suitcase, flat), three dual line kites (broken down), a Power Kite, three linesets (bring 60, 90, 120 in quad line and use them for the duals) and two sets of handles.

My key was to always say "They are competition stunt kites".

If they ask any questions, immediately say "It is difficult to repack but I would be happy to show them off!"

The coat closet does not work on Southwest b/c they do not have them.

If you MUST put in the overhead, wait until everyone is on and find a way to put it as far toward the front as possible.  Keep an eye on the overhead.  If anyone goes near it...jump up and help them.

I have gone on 8 trips with kites without any concern.

Only stopped at the TSA once.  They just wanted to look closer because they were slow and bored (it was early and not a soul was in line with me).

Make sure not to bring a kite stake on the plane!

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document