GWTW Forum
August 28, 2014, 08:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying or buying in Honolulu  (Read 223 times)
daringtofly
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 21, 2014, 02:22 AM »

Hi there folks. I live in Honolulu. I'd like to fly a kite.

Call it therapy or whatever, I'd just like to put one in the air like when I was a kid. Problem is I don't own a kite. Nothing against kiting as a hobby, but I don't really have the money or time to invest in tackling this the way I do most things in life (obsessively). Wind stats for my area (7day + 12mo, another 12mo) and just plain old gut feel tell me that a $5 eBay/Wal-Mart kite would break straight off into the Pacific Ocean, but who knows? I've never flown here.

Anyway I saw a couple well-rated "stunt kites" on Amazon (Prism Stowaway, Prism Jazz), I guess you can do tricks with those but all I really wanna do is buy 500' of string and let it out til I can barely see the thing in the sun. I have no idea if I'd need anything special in the way of kites or lines to do that in the wind we have here. Don't really want to spend money for a one-time thing but if I were being truly casual about this I wouldn't be posting on GWTW  Roll Eyes

Maybe I could just pay someone the $10 or $20 to let me fly their kites for a bit  - is that even a reasonable thing to ask? What do you all think? Please vote in the poll and/or post below. Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:56 AM by daringtofly » Logged
missionview

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:31 AM »

If you just want to let the line out and watch the kite in the sky, do not buy a stunt kite. Buy a single line kite. The Prism stowaway diamond kite is a good choice.

Robert
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 10:24 AM »

Most kiters would let you fly their kites for free if you let them hold your elbows

when the kite gets into trouble. If you're a mellow fellow, get a single line kite.

If you like some action, get a sport kite.

Welcome to the forum.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
daringtofly

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 11:42 AM »

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll look into it Smiley
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:31 PM »

I would by a delta kite. the The Prism stowaway diamond kite should work well in you clean winds.  I had more issues in my local winds. 

I would get one around 6' to 8' and at least 500' of line.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of kiting.

I started 45 years ago with those simple single line kites.  My kite collection has grown over the decades as has my enjoyment of kites.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:38 PM by Wayner » Logged
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 08:03 PM »

they still flying kites at Sandy's?
I'd stop by on the weekend and talk story with one of the flyers ... pretty sure they'd let you fly something.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document