GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 06:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What kind of rigging for a candy drop?  (Read 1778 times)
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+20)

« on: January 14, 2013, 09:18 AM »

I need some info on rigging for a candy drop...

Got the kites...

Got the line...

Gettin' da candy...

Anthony
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 09:30 AM »

here is some info from IKE http://www.ikeclub.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=753

here is carlos simoes' info on setting up a drop rig....http://www.kiteplans.org/planos/release/release.html you could just take a square of material and tie off one corner but then string the other three corners to the release point... would just make a simple bag....

for my para bear i use one of these: Blacks Outrigger Release Clip

This gets tied into the line...and then the parabear (or bag of candy) would get hooked onto the Left side dogleg piece...this is a release where you have tojerk the line the to release....the big screw in the upper center of the picture is a tension screw....you can adjust it easily...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 11:00 AM »

Interesting.  Where did you get that and when you say jerk the line you mean the kite line?

Sine Metu!
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23 AM »

Interesting.  Where did you get that and when you say jerk the line you mean the kite line?
yep...you would have to tug the flying line to get it to release (it is a fine line between having the tension set to easily drop the rig BUT not too light where it releases the rig when you areletting out the line and the kite hits a small gust of wind!)...
That picture is swiped from Cabelas....retails for about 8-9$....I have two sets of these for my parabear rig...that way I can fly him and drop him...then repack the chute with the second rig...then pull the kite down to switch rigs.....a vicious cycle....

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 12:20 PM »

Cool, if you google that you find a listing for a "Blacks Kite Release Clip" just under that one, slightly different then the one pictured above and I assume meant to drop your rig after flying it out using a kite.

I'm thinking these types require bringing the kite down to attach the next payload? Can you use them with a pulley on the line with a separate line running up and back from the pulley so you just bring down the release clip then pull back up? Be sure you hang the pulley off a 3-way swivel though, some I've seen just tie the pulley on a loop on the flying line and line twists winding the pulley and your transport loop line around the flying line.

Sorry for the diagram quality, no graphics program on here yet

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:00 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:34 PM »

There is a simpler way to make a rig I learned from Jim Strealy.  YOu just take a box with a lid, tape one side of the lid for a hinge, use velcro to hold the lid closed and tie your release line to the velcro.  Cut out the bottom so you can fill it and use a 4 point harness with a line at each corner about 24 inches long mating to a hook for the tether line to the kite.  Cheap and easy to make.

You can also us a small duffle bag that has a cinch close top or a purse with a snap close flap.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 03:21 PM »

Simpler yes, but requires bringing the kite down. My description comes from "Parafauna" where you'll be making multiple drops.

I've tied a release line through the bottom of the bag the candy came in and tied the bag on the kite line, then just ripped the bottom of the bag off. Heck it was all I had available when Jim didn't show up and the organizer pressed me to do the candy drop.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 05:46 PM »

Hanging a small pulley from the tow point and another from the candy holder will let you lower and raise the rig without taking the kite down by letting  you run it along the line.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 07:36 PM »

Do you want a static rig or one that uses a sail to travel up the kite line, release candy and then slide back down?

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 06:40 AM »

Do you want a static rig or one that uses a sail to travel up the kite line, release candy and then slide back down?

Going to do a single drop but a sail traveling up line sounds interesting, how is that done?

Anthony
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 06:47 AM »

Going to do a single drop but a sail traveling up line sounds interesting, how is that done?

you would need some sort of messenger....a few choices here: http://www.kiteplans.org/cat_4/sub_42/
one thing to keep in mind when you are looking into this is what kite are you going to lift with.....some para fauna and messengers work better with a very high angle kite (straight above you) compared to a lower angle flying kite where the line is out at a 45 degree angle......
The premier/cassagne poppers are a good example of this...they need a kite that flies at a lower angle so that the wind catches their sails.....if the kite is straight above you the poppers will be very slow (if they move at all).....

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 08:17 AM »

Messengers and dropping stuff are here - http://www.kiteplans.org/cat_4/sub_42/

A couple release mechanisms ideas in there also

Running a line up parralel to the flying line is asking for trouble, kite line twists and untwists under tension, the lines end up wrapped and locked together, I've been there. I've also watched failures from not properly hanging the pulley off 3 swivvels all while the crowd & kids are waiting and the announcers are trying to keep them entertained for 30 minutes while the droppers frantically try to untangle the mess.

Also best to keep the kids to the side of the drop area until the candy hits the ground, you don't want any kids with Baby Ruths embedded in their eye. Most drops I've witnessed also do multiple drops divided by age groups so some big rambunctious 14 year old doesn't straight arm a 4 year old in the excitement. That's why we use the type I showed  above, bringing the kite down between launches to reload is just one more hassle to deal with.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:18 AM by mikenchico » Logged

allenpitts

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 06:44 AM »

Hello WhiteBird,

The diagram below shows a messenger system that goes up the line using a sail.
It works better with a para foil kite that flys at a lower angle than say, a Conyne
Delta which tends to be more over head. The lower angle helps the sail climb the line.

Also working on a radio controlled release mechanism seen on a radio controlled
model plane. When it has been tested will post plans.

Allen Pitts
Dallas Texas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum