GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 05:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making Stunt Kite Tail Weights Easily & Cheaply  (Read 3252 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: January 15, 2013, 06:45 AM »

I discovered an easy way to make a variety of 'tail weights' for tail weights for stunt kites! All you need in parts are some standard 4" brass door hinge pins (a 3-pack for under $3.00), some 6mm HQ Split End Nocks (approx. $0.60 each), and super glue.

The HQ Split Nocks come with a graphite insert. Remove them. Dremel-cut the brass door-hinge pins to a variety of lengths, add some super-glue & insert them into the nocks! They will fit snugly inside the HQ nocks but it's probably a good idea to super-glue them anyway. If you want to use FSD Nocks, they will work as well. You will definitely need some gel-type super glue because the hinge pins will be loose inside those. You will now have several tail weights in various weights that will work perfectly with any P-Series or PT-Series Skyshark rods!

The added advantage of this method is that the end nocks (both styles) can be used to drape a trailing-edge leech line over the end and secure them with a budgie cord to the spine of the center rod. Once inserted inside the spine rod and draping the leech line over the ends of the nocks, you can slide a vinyl end cap over the nock to cushion the end & further secure the leech line.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:50 AM by photogbill » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:47 AM »

I think that Shawn Tinkham used door pins all of the time for his weights....
simple........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
photogbill

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:55 AM »

I think that Shawn Tinkham used door pins all of the time for his weights....
simple........

Hmmmmm ...I'm not aware of that. I had several of Shawn's kites that did not ...to the best of my recollection! I previously owned 2 Tantrums, a Viper, & a Vendetta. The only weight I remember on his kites was a chunky tubular weight that rode externally over top of the spine rod ...but I am getting 'old' ..so my memory may not be as good as it used to be!  Wink

If my memory serves me right ...I believe this was one of Shawn's tail weights that I still have:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:04 AM by photogbill » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 07:07 AM »

yeah.i know that he was using them.....he got all of his rods from my old shop....he might have stopped but I remember him showing it off...pretty slick way of doing it...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
photogbill

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 07:18 AM »

I agree. They are a perfect fit for Skyshark rods! Neat & non-bulky ...so if you have a wrap over style tail piece as most kites do ...you don't need to leave a space for an external weights like the one in my second post.
photogbill

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 07:43 AM »

I have used door hinge pins in the past like this:

You need to grind the pin diameter down a little up near the head of the hinge pin or it won't slide all the way in to the head ..also I I used to cut off the sites of the round head to for a 'T' so that the appropriate size vinyl end cap will fit over it and secure the weight externally over the end of the rod.

Maybe Shawn had mentioned the idea to me as well. I honestly don't remember when or how I thought of using them. I talked to so many people in kiting & kite-makers over the years that I cn't recall who I talked to and when about some of the kite-making techniques.

Using the cut-off pins and an HQ or FSD end nock is a slight twist that I thought served a duel purpose by giving you a way to secure & guide a trailing edge leech line up the spine rod. I figured I'd post it for the new builders out there who might not have heard of or thought of this method!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 12:21 PM »

A nickel weighs 5 grams.

A penny weighs 2.5 grams.

15 grams costs 6 and a small cloth
wrap to hold the coins in place.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
photogbill

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 04:17 PM »

A nickel weighs 5 grams.

A penny weighs 2.5 grams.

15 grams costs 6 and a small cloth
wrap to hold the coins in place.  Smiley

Tried that ...Don't like it!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 04:29 PM »

I make my weights out of the wheel weights Harbor Freight sells.  Stick them in a vise and use a hammer to bend them a bit and wrap em in sticky back velcro.  Easy 4g or 7g weights that you can combo for what you want easily and no worrying about fitting to the rod or grinding them to the weight you need.  Just stick em in the tail flap.
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+83)

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 05:24 PM »

The 2 Vendetta's I've had both had door hinge pins as weights, and one had a 2nd weight that goes over the spine.  It was called the variable weight system according to the manual.  Wink

-Mike
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 02:29 AM »

The system used on the HQ Infinity can be adapted to many kites and gives the ability to change both the amount of weight and the position ( up to a point). Just 2 LE connectors back to back.

I've also had some success using an adapted HQ clip on Yoyo stopper. Just tap a thread on it using a 6mm (1/4") nut and make some weights out of lead sheet or washers.  You can clip this anywhere along the spine.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:34 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 11:22 AM »

So easy, a caveman can do it! Cheesy

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 08:59 PM »

As first seen on some Nirvanas.

The system used on the HQ Infinity can be adapted to many kites and gives the ability to change both the amount of weight and the position ( up to a point). Just 2 LE connectors back to back.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:43 PM by JimB » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 09:58 PM »

This is a cool idea, but I think the junk is best in the trunk - as in low as possible on the tail. 

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum