GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 03:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stunt kite construction  (Read 1598 times)
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: June 03, 2009, 01:16 PM »

One of the things that I like the most about Benson Kites is the attention to detail in the construction of his kites. Especially the covering of the leading edges and standoff connectors, making the kites almost completely "snag" free. I have yet to see other kites made like this and was wondering what other kites are? It looks like the Talon's are constructed in the same fashion, but don't own one so I'm not sure. I know R-sky doe's not do it. Anyone?

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 01:27 PM »

The Talon's construction is every bit as good the Deep Space.  Smiley
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 01:30 PM »

There are and have been excellent kite builders for many years.

To me, snag free all started with the MEFM, which was ridiculously innovative, and it's maybe 15 years old. It had covered leading edge connectors in the mid-90s.

And some innovations turn out not to be so innovative. The trick line was supposed to help prevent tip wraps, and yet very few kites have them these days.

Lollipop MEFM and Geezer:

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 01:48 PM »

To me, snag free all started with the MEFM, which was ridiculously innovative, and it's maybe 15 years old. It had covered leading edge connectors in the mid-90s.

Are you sure John ?

I have never seen a MEFM with covered leading edge connectors.

Have a look at Doug's website.

You mean perhaps the Atomic Wedgee (from Big Easy kites too) ?  Wink
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:05 PM by Tataouine » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 02:11 PM »

Tataouine,

I just checked my MEFM.

You are 90% correct and I'll take the last 10%.

The MEFM connectors along the LE are exposed, except for the ends of the connectors which are covered by the LE material caused by the cutouts in the material being actually slightly shorter in length than the connectors. The connector itself is rounded and smooth so lines just can't snag or catch.

Thanks for the correction.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Mark E Mark

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 08:58 PM »

The trick line was supposed to help prevent tip wraps, and yet very few kites have them these days.

Well, isn't that because a trick line stops, or discourages, the kite from sitting in a turtle position? If you pull the trick line in sufficiently to stop it interfering you may as well not have it at all........certainly this is true of the kites I have come across with a trick line.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 10:04 PM »

I really like BMKs kites for not only how well they are made but also designed.   Everything   easily fits together perfectly and is well thought out and implemented.  Those kites wear like iron and last a long time.

I think Lam's kites also set a whole new standard to kite construction.  They are works of art - incredible detail and applique.  Lots of unique touches you don't see on other kites.

I was also impressed with the construction of the Gemini I had some time ago.  As old as it was (I was the 4th+ owner), it was still in great shape.

You can tell these kites as made by guys that love what they do and have extreme pride in their work products.

6 kite tom
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 10:24 PM »

We did something possibly relevant to this topic a while ago.

The most snag-free kite I have is a Windfactory Androgyn - a very tidy bit of work. And the Jordan Air Millennium that I sold recently had fully covered LE fittings. It has dinosaur snot on it.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Mark E Mark

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 02:58 AM »

Wow, New Tech comes in even below Air Oeuvre - not easy to achieve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography