GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 04:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finding Magic in Kite Flying  (Read 2083 times)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« on: January 19, 2013, 09:01 AM »

Last night Friday Night fly looked like a disaster but turned in to a magical experience.

A ground keeper came by saying there was a major soccer tournement this weekend and did not want us damaging the grass.  Huh
When we didn't leave he turned off thel lights for the entire complex Embarrassed

The PDSUL was already assembled, but it was so dark I needed a flashlight to attach some line. The kite is a rasberry color and was only a shadow in the air. But with no lights the stars were out. I had the most memorable experience of flying mostly by feel while tracking the kites outline dancing through the star covered sky.  Smiley

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 11:01 AM »

i remember flying in the dark at Wildwood.....my light system blinked out and i had to fly the same way....by feel...it was outstanding especially since we were on the beach I was not worried about hitting anything except the sand.....
Aoxomoxoa at the highest.......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
rudyy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 12:50 PM »

How do you guys do the night flying?  Do you put some LED's along the sailedge with a lipo pack at the spine?
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 01:53 PM »

Wee bit olderschool than that....somewhere I have a Fly by Night system.....
5 LEDs with plastic clips on each leading edge....then a 9volt battery velcroed to the spine.....
I think that the wire in the system was standard lamp cord......

I also have aother system where the LEDs are embedded into flexible printed circuit boards and is powered by AAA batteries....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Wayner

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 06:04 PM »

How do you guys do the night flying?  Do you put some LED's along the sailedge with a lipo pack at the spine?

Rudy,
You can fly with lights, but these are storys of what happens when you don't have light and decide to fly anyway. Rob & I each had the great unexpected joy of flying a kite at night by feel. A unique and memorable experience.

Hope one day it happens to you and you can share in the Aoxomoxoa.......  Cool
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 12:06 AM »

A unique and memorable experience

Agree! Have only had the experience once. My local kite club had organised a night fly and I'd gotten some cheap magnetic LEDs off eBay prior to that. These things can be 'clipped on' to a kite (light at the front of the sail, magnet at the back). But as I started flying, one after the other the LEDs either switched off or fell off (ok, they were cheap) and I was left flying the kite mostly by feel (sometimes I could see a very vague delta shape, but most of the time nothing). There wasn't much wind, and the kite was an UL, so little harm could be done. I was amazed at how different flying a kite felt if you couldn't see it and had to work entirely with subtle variations in the tension of the lines.

Aoxomoxoa for sure!

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 03:52 AM »

A ground keeper came by saying there was a major soccer tournement this weekend and did not want us damaging the grass.  Huh
When we didn't leave he turned off thel lights for the entire complex Embarrassed

And you were so  rude and disrespectful you stayed..................
even after he turned the lights out.
What a guy.  Sad

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 10:53 AM »

I don't know about that, Denny. It was their regular night to fly. Feels like the guy who turned the lights off was the creep. Wayne simply made lemonade out of lemons.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 12:21 PM »

I furrowed my brow when I read that too. Sure unless we are pounding in stakes for large SLK's we don't impact a field much, But _ _ _ _ a groundskeeper voiced a legitimate concern. did the kitefliers ask if there was an area in the complex they could fly that wouldn't be on a playing field or did they ignore him just stand their ground? Did they have a permit?

When I try to run a new Stop Sign I'll jokingly tell Rhonda "I've been driving this road for 40 years that new sign doesn't refer to me I'm grandfathered in", it never works. Luckily Rhonda's always got my back so I've never had to try it on a traffic officer, they usually don't share my humor either.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 01:20 PM »

At New Silverbowl Park:

1) Any area within direct lighting can be reserved for night use
     a) soccer
     b) football
     c) softball

2) Any area not within direct lighting is open to use by the public
      on a first come, first served principle

3) If the area is cordoned off (temporary fencing), then it is off-limits.

4) The groundskeeper was out of line.

The less in power a worker is, the more they will wield what little power they have
when given the chance.

Although many groundskeepers have been very nice at other parks.

New Silverbowl Park actually brings in money with all the tournaments they hold.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
dayhiker

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 06:04 PM »

Very interesting topic, kite magic.  I am now just beginning to feel the kite & I can fly a little without looking.  I will have to try the next windy moonlit night.  First two line kites I ever saw were being flown at night in a spot light.

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 09:24 PM »

The less in power a worker is, the more they will wield what little power they have
when given the chance.

Seen that before, and shutting the lights off in the whole complex sounded a bit childish.

I've had a couple nice flies in the dark myself, too bad that PDSUL wasn't white, a ghostly form slowly traversing the night sky is a sweet experience too. Bet a Vapor would be fun too.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
WestAustralian

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 09:52 PM »

I have Night Flown with little "Fishing Lure" glowsticks attached to the Kite.
Not very bright but still fun.

Moonlight flying (without Lights) is fun too.

WA
Wayner

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 09:19 AM »

Sorry this post went off topic.  Roll Eyes  I only added the groundskeeper part to expain why I was flying in the dark.

To complete to story We always want to set a good example to others on the value of kite flying and following all rules. In the years we have been flying there Chilese alone has train more than a 100 people how to a stunt kite for the 1st time.  Cool

We don't fly on the soccer fields but in the open park near them. That way his request was strange. Then groundskeeper talk to someone else in the group, so I got the info 2nd hand. Maybe his request got inflated by members of our group. The groundskeeper was in our area twice doing other tasks later in the night and could of ask us to leave it that was his intent.

Why did he turn off the lights. Maybe to save money as no soccer games were being played. (they had league finals the week before) But the light are always on games or no games.

Never seen a groundskeeper after 4pm so what doing there so late at night? last time I same him was at 9:30 pm.  Huh

We would have offered him a change to fly a kite if the light were on.  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy 
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 10:30 AM »

Thanks for the explanation. It sounded like you were flying on the soccer field.
My bad.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum