GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 06:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: best beginner 2-line kite for inland (low wind) flyers?  (Read 5633 times)
dyfrgi
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 04:17 PM »

I decided to pick up a BMK Muse. Ken tells me it should ship out on Wednesday - he's fairly up to date at the moment. I'm looking forward to it!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 07:00 PM »

It's hard to stop at 1 Ken McNeill kite.  Roll Eyes

What colors did you get?

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
dyfrgi

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 07:13 PM »

Red, yellow, and black. Red on the front and middle panels, yellow on the back middle panel, black on the wingtips. Not the neon yellow - oranger than that. I think it's the Mango fabric.
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 08:55 AM »

You are going to love the Muse. Very responsive without being twitchy. Fly your regular newbie patterns, figure eights, etc. Push and pull turns. Practice the basic stuff. With the Muse...even the basics don't get boring.
  We will... of course....require you to post a picture of your Muse... Smiley

Good Luck!

Chris

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 06:16 AM »

I'm a HUGE fan of the Blue Moon Kites! I have the 61/49 (WONDERFUL SLK) and an Exile. Once you see what Ken does, you'll want more! The Muse should keep you happy for quite a while! However, you'll start to itch for more. At that point, read the reviews of Ken's other kites. Decide on which family you want to go for and then start building a family of standard, UL, and vented. (I just checked - the Mantis offers all 3 variations. Venting generally only partially helps with higher wind. Tricking is a LOT harder when the wind is really blowing.)

Personally, I like the wind lighter and prefer it any place below 8 mph so the Exile is my preference.

I'm starting to itch for something besides a dual because I've got a pile now - I'm thinking Ichiban...

Bob D.
Baws

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 06:41 AM »

Don't forget the Addition by Primer. This kite is highly under rated, for the money,it is a good kite to learn tricks on. Its pretty tough except for the standoffs. 

I love my Flashlight, but the Desire UL has got to go!

My Bag: JB Pro,EXP, Quantum Pro, Jump,  Xcel One,  2 ea Le Quartz, B'zar 10
kiteflyer82
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 07:02 PM »

I bought the Wisp for little to no wind and it was great. I was at the beach with two bags of kites and there was no wind, not even the palm trees were moving. So I got the wisp out and it flew amazing. And the best thing is that it is only 60 bucks.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:35 PM by Steve » Logged
hedgewarden

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 10:55 PM »

I have all 3 Silver Foxes (Foxi?) in 2.5 size.  The UL is not really, with the weights in the tail.  I have problems flying in 6 mph winds (OK, so I'm no whiz).

I've found the Premier Addiction and Nighthawk can outfly the Fox in light winds.  The Nighthawk also has good precision.  I'm not a trickster, but I can easily axel both.  They don't hold a turtle as well as the SF, tho.

I'm not saying the Blue Moon kites and SF's are not as good (I wish I had a Mamba).  But that for lower winds, the Premier kites are easier to fly than the SF UL, and a lot less expensive.  Well, the Addiction is much less expensive, and the Nighthawk marginally so.  Neither is a true UL, but are better in my opinion than the SF in low winds.  I've never flown a BMK, but hope to some day soon.  I'm sure they'd fly circles around the other kites listed here.

I try to compare only kites that I have personally experienced under similar circumstances. I try to avoid "my favorite kite is an X so I know it is better than the Y which I have never flown."  I am also reluctant to advise a novice flier to buy a top-of-the line kite, when there are so many good intermediate level kites to grow on.  But take into account my perspective is an intermediate ballet flier, and less than novice trickster.

Now for an intermediate flier, with the resources, a top-of-the-line UL should be a serious contender.

Where I live, the winds are always bouncy (so I go to the coast to fly 90% of the time.)  The only kite in my bag that handles bouncy winds decently is my Yin-Yang.  But that is far from an UL - it works in our local gusty north-winds.

I'll shut up now.   Tongue 

- Howard

No, this is my FIRST childhood.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 04:21 AM »

I have all 3 Silver Foxes (Foxi?) in 2.5 size.  The UL is not really, with the weights in the tail.  I have problems flying in 6 mph winds (OK, so I'm no whiz).

I've found the Premier Addiction and Nighthawk can outfly the Fox in light winds.
  The Nighthawk also has good precision.  I'm not a trickster, but I can easily axel both.  They don't hold a turtle as well as the SF, tho.

I'm not saying the Blue Moon kites and SF's are not as good (I wish I had a Mamba).  But that for lower winds, the Premier kites are easier to fly than the SF UL, and a lot less expensive.  Well, the Addiction is much less expensive, and the Nighthawk marginally so.  Neither is a true UL, but are better in my opinion than the SF in low winds.  I've never flown a BMK, but hope to some day soon.  I'm sure they'd fly circles around the other kites listed here.

I try to compare only kites that I have personally experienced under similar circumstances. I try to avoid "my favorite kite is an X so I know it is better than the Y which I have never flown."  I am also reluctant to advise a novice flier to buy a top-of-the line kite, when there are so many good intermediate level kites to grow on.  But take into account my perspective is an intermediate ballet flier, and less than novice trickster.

Now for an intermediate flier, with the resources, a top-of-the-line UL should be a serious contender.

Where I live, the winds are always bouncy (so I go to the coast to fly 90% of the time.)  The only kite in my bag that handles bouncy winds decently is my Yin-Yang.  But that is far from an UL - it works in our local gusty north-winds.

I'll shut up now.   Tongue 

Hey there...
It sounds like there might be something wrong with your SF UL. I know it's not a 'true' UL, but I would think that it should have a better bottom end than that...
~Rob.

hedgewarden

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 11:18 PM »

On the Kitelife forum, others have also mentioned the lack of light wind flying abilities of the SF "UL".

I have not tried it, but I read that removing the tail weight helps, (duh!) and some have removed the upper spreader.  That would change the handling.  I have been to lazy to try it.  I figure that if a kite is supposed to fly in light winds, it should do so with all the normal flight aids attached.

However, yesterday I confirmed my prior comparison of the SF, Addiction, and Nighthawk. The latter have no tail weights, giving them some advantage wind-wise, but not trick-wise.  I finally moved the SF bridle from the orange beads to the blue beads (that is kind of an SF insider thingy Wink ).  The speed picked up noticeably, the responses were quicker, and the straight line tracking was noticeably not so good - falling between the Addiction and the Nighthawk.

Still, I think there are better ULs than the Silver Fox.  Without going into debt for a really great UL kite, though, I only have experience with an HQ Floater (decent beginner's kite - probably no trick potential, and no longer made), HQ Tango (replaced the Floater? - better but still not for intermediate fliers.  Axels well, I do no other tricks), and HQ Breeze (Very nice UL or near UL beginner-intermediate, but old design which I think is no longer available)  These are basically $50 to $150 kites I believe (I got them all at substantial discount)

If you find any useful information in the above, you are welcome to it!  Tongue Tongue

- Howard

No, this is my FIRST childhood.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 11:32 PM »

Interesting, but If you are prefer the Addiction or Nighthawk to the SF 2.5 UL I don't think we are flying the same kite or we have radically different tastes in kites (and I like the the Nighthawk a lot).

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 04:07 AM »

On the Kitelife forum, others have also mentioned the lack of light wind flying abilities of the SF "UL".

I have not tried it, but I read that removing the tail weight helps, (duh!) and some have removed the upper spreader.  That would change the handling.  I have been to lazy to try it.  I figure that if a kite is supposed to fly in light winds, it should do so with all the normal flight aids attached.

However, yesterday I confirmed my prior comparison of the SF, Addiction, and Nighthawk. The latter have no tail weights, giving them some advantage wind-wise, but not trick-wise.  I finally moved the SF bridle from the orange beads to the blue beads (that is kind of an SF insider thingy Wink ).  The speed picked up noticeably, the responses were quicker, and the straight line tracking was noticeably not so good - falling between the Addiction and the Nighthawk.

Still, I think there are better ULs than the Silver Fox.  Without going into debt for a really great UL kite, though, I only have experience with an HQ Floater (decent beginner's kite - probably no trick potential, and no longer made), HQ Tango (replaced the Floater? - better but still not for intermediate fliers.  Axels well, I do no other tricks), and HQ Breeze (Very nice UL or near UL beginner-intermediate, but old design which I think is no longer available)  These are basically $50 to $150 kites I believe (I got them all at substantial discount)

If you find any useful information in the above, you are welcome to it!  Tongue Tongue

Hey Howard….
I have to do all of that monkey business to my Zephyr to get it to fly down to its advertised low end wind speed. Remove the upper spreader, adjust the bridle, remove the weight (I actually never fly the Zeph with the weight). If you’re a Kitelife member, you should have access to a video that John B. made flying the SF UL in some light winds. I don’t remember how low he was flying it in, but he sure did a nice job with it.
I have flown the HQ Floater, it is more of a low wind kite than the Zephyr, but not as tricky. The HQ Shadow is excellent for low winds and it can trick, as well. The NikNak is a great choice if you aren’t interested in too many tricks, but it will fly in no wind all the way up to 10mph, I think.
~Rob.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 09:30 AM »

Interesting, but If you are prefer the Addiction or Nighthawk to the SF 2.5 UL I don't think we are flying the same kite or we have radically different tastes in kites (and I like the the Nighthawk a lot).

+1.

I don't think you can get a better tricking kite for the same low cost of the SF.  I've yet to fly anything else in its price range that I really liked.

The SF is slow, stable, reliable, and predictable to fly and trick.  The UL needs a bit more wind than some other ULs, but it goes reasonably low.  Hate to say numbers, but I'm sure I've flown mine in 2/3 without much effort - 3/6 is ideal.  I preferred the UL to my QPro SUL.

6 kite tom
Hadge

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 04:55 AM »

For a fairly cheap, but very capable trick kite try looking at the HQ Jive. Here in the UK it retails at around £70, it flies very nicely from a genuine 4mph ( maybe a little less) to around 20mph ( HQ quote 24mph but the wings are starting to flap at 20!). It's a tough little kite and, being made from simple 5mm & 6mm carbon tubes, it's easy and cheap to repair if anything breaks.  It will perform almost any trick you can throw at it.  It's a great learner kite with the potential to take you a long way, I prefer mine to my Addiction. I regularly fly inland and would throughly recommend it.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
HelenJames

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 06:11 AM »

Something alike was discussed on the Yahoo! Answers last week, i can share a link if you want some
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change