GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 03:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: best beginner 2-line kite for inland (low wind) flyers?  (Read 5276 times)
dyfrgi
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 03, 2009, 09:28 PM »

I live inland, and I'm a beginner. What 2-line kite should I buy, and why? I've perused the general thread on beginner kites, but only a few suggestions for low wind kites are given, and the wind is usually low and gusty here.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:52 PM »

Absolute beginner?  or can you already launch, steer, and sometimes land?

6 kite tom
dyfrgi

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 10:00 PM »

I can already launch, steer, and sometimes land. I can do circles and figure eights, I can make a rough square (though not a sharp one, most times). I can sometimes recover from a crash, er, uncontrolled deviation from stable flight, and relaunch. I still bang the kite into the ground sometimes, but not *every* time. Smiley I have a Premier Vision, which is a smallish (63") kite I picked up for $40 or so.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:03 PM by dyfrgi » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:12 PM »

Well, then, let me save you alot of time and money right now - get a Blue Moon Kite and fly it until you can do the basic tricks well (if thats what you are into). 

They fly very well in bumpy in-land on/off again winds.   His kites fly very well in low wind and are smooth, sweet, stable flyers that can take a beating as well - good for learning, but also very capable.

I think the Muse goes for around $230 or so.

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 04:29 AM »

The Vision is a good starter kite to learn to keep the kite in the air, but it is really twitchy and not very tricky. Nearly indestructable, though. Flying it will certainly give you the kiting bug, and spending 2-3 hundred $$$ on a kite shouldn't seem too out of line. When I was first starting out, I wasted alot of money buying a bunch of cheap kites, when I should've just bought one or two quality kites.
That being said... I agree with Tom about something from Blue Moon. I have a Mantis and 2 Exiles, they are great kites, and I'm sure the Muse is, too. Also, take a look at the Nebula mentioned in the photo/video area. The BlueMoons and the Nebulas are my favorite kites right now, and I could've saved alot of $$$ if I just got those to begin with.
~Rob.

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 04:40 AM »

A low wind kite is either a UL (ultra light) or a SUL (super ultra light). The SULs are usually framed in 2PT sticks and are found in higher end kites that cost more than $200. These kinds of kites are very easy to break for a beginner and probably aren't a great choice for someone learning tricks.

The ULs are more likely framed in 3PTs or something a little tougher than the 2PTS. I learned light wind flying and to axel with a Prism Flashlight. I broke a lot of leading edges as I was learning to cartwheel but the replacements weren't that expensive and it wasn't too hard to figure out how to fix it. (I didn't see it in Steve's inventory though. I'm not sure if it's still made.) You probably want something with a decent wingspan because the smaller kites fly faster whereas a bigger kite flies slower and is easier to handle. (I have a 3D but I rarely fly it because I like bigger kites.)

Looking at Steve's inventory I see that he has the Acrobatx UL for $99. That might be something that might work for you. It's not a high end kite and you can't expect it to perform like a Blue Moon but I haven't read that it's not an unreasonable flyer. Anyone with experience with the Acro UL?

I also see that Steve has the Silver Foxes. I saw someone fly one a few years ago and it looks like a decent kite too. I would imagine that either the 2.3m or the 2.5M UL would be good for light wind. The 2.5m would have a bigger presence in the sky. (I'd probably get the Silver Fox over the Acro though.)

Talk to Steve about it. He's a good person to talk to about it. Either the Acro UL or the Silver Fox UL would be a good choice. Fly it for awhile before you really start to get bitten by the kite bug. Then start to look at Blue Moons! I love my Exile and the UL is supposed to fly even lower.And once you get started with the high end kites, you'll want to see what else is out there - and there's lots!

Another option is the Shadow. Some say it's more of a light wind standard but you'd be hard pressed to find something that's not too fragile and can still fly in low wind. If you can't feel the wind on the back of your neck, it's going to be a challenge to keep something up in the air. For days like that, I like to fly my Blue Moon 61/49 SLK.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 06:05 AM by bobdros » Logged

Bob D.
dyfrgi

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 09:08 AM »

Durability definitely matters, since I'm still banging the kite into the ground sometimes. My girlfriend is also likely to fly a bit, and has less experience than I do, though I've seen her keep the Vision up and stable for a couple minutes before. So anything very fragile is out.

I wonder if the Silver Fox 2.5M UL has the needed durability. It's described on Flying Wings' site as being framed in "new dynamic 15, T18", but that's the same as the standard is listed with - maybe it's a different sail material rather than a changed frame?

Another inexpensive UL out there is the New Tech Desire UL. It's available for $95 ready to fly, which is handy since I only have one short line set. Any thoughts on that one? It was referenced in the "favorite beginner kite and why" thread.
Scarecrow

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 09:57 AM »

Another inexpensive UL out there is the New Tech Desire UL. It's available for $95 ready to fly, which is handy since I only have one short line set. Any thoughts on that one? It was referenced in the "favorite beginner kite and why" thread.

The Desire was the first UL that I owned and I spent a number of enjoyable hours flying it in inland winds. It's certainly not a trick kite, it's just too light. But you will be able to enjoy flying in much lower winds than with the Vision. However, if I recall correctly, it was framed entirely of 4mm (.156) carbon tubes and I broke lower LE's and spreaders more that once. Learning how to repair kites ain't all bad and this one was easy to repair. So if you decide that you want to go with the Desire, I would recommend picking up a couple lengths of 4mm tubes to go with it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:27 AM by Steve » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:58 AM »

From what I've read about the Desire UL, it's a decent kite. It's got less mass so it's good when you'd rather get the kite up in the air and you don't really care if you can trick it. I imagine it would fly like my Flashlight. And if it IS like my Flashlight, it might be easy to break sticks.

Personally, I like trickability so I'd lean towards the Silver Fox UL. I don't know about the framing that it uses. Anyone? The frame is generally where you see weight savings are made. I remember reading about the Silver Fox on the old GWTW forum and I think that there might have been some criticism that it didn't fly real low. If that's the case then the frame is probably heavier and therefore sturdier. And for a beginner that's a good thing. And if it's got a bit more mass, you'll have an easier time learning tricks.

I don't have first hand experience with either kite so somebody like Steve at GWTW would be your best place to start to decide which way to go.

Bob D.
kiten00b
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 10:04 AM »

The Silver Fox ULs aren't very floaty, but they are tricky.
The Desire UL & Flashlight are better fliers in the light and fickle breezes, but have less tricks in their bags. Nice choice for something to fly without spending a fortune though.
gwarren
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 11:45 AM »

Here's another option to add to the mix.  Its an old school kite that tracks well, will do a few basic tricks but it will fly from 0 - 10 mph.  It only takes a puff of wind to get it to fly.  The Nik Nak by Skyburner  (I imagine Steve can get one for you)  It was my second kite that I bought and it took loads of abuse.  THere is not a lot of mass to the kite, but its great to learn the basics on.  I have often regretted selling mine. 

glen
dyfrgi

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 02:33 PM »

Well, I would like to get something which will last for at least a couple of summers worth of flying. I'm not sure if the Desire UL would do that, since I am interested in learning tricks.

Of what's been suggested here, I'm considering the Acrobatx UL, Silver Fox 2.5 UL, and Blue Moon Muse. Obviously a pretty wide range of prices, from $99 to $230. All three should be fairly trickable, fly in fairly low winds, and have high build quality, from what I've read.
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 03:29 PM »

The Acrobatx UL has gotten some good reviews. Definitely not a docile trainer kite, but if you don't feel the need for a big slow kite it could be a lot of fun.

http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=93

I think I'll get one some time. Good looking too.

Allen, AKA kitehead
dyfrgi

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 03:54 PM »

A big slow kite does seem like it'd be easier to learn on. While I can generally handle a fast moving kite, it seems like a slower kite would be easier to learn on, especially for tricks. It allows for slightly more slop in the timing.
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 04:22 PM »

Wife and I have been flying since Feb. of this year. We started on a Cherry Bomb. She has since moved on to a Prism Quantum. She really likes it. It has held up well. She is pretty tough on kites...because she is aggressive and loves to fly low. She is working on snap stalls, and ground recoveries. She just fractured the spine. Got a new replacement for it. I have an Acrobatx, that I can't fly in less than 7mph. We also have a Desire UL, which is not a trick kite. But will fly in very low wind. She broke one of the stand offs, got that replaced. We are inland fliers in TN. so we feel your pain. I just acquired a used BMK Muse. The difference is amazing. I already pulled off some half axels, and some snap stalls. So if you are past the 30mph lawn dart phase, You might consider getting a used BMK of some kind. Maybe someone on this forum would be willing to cut you a deal.   Smiley

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography