GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 08:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Post;Greetings and Flexifoil question  (Read 1030 times)
Hammer
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 17, 2013, 09:32 AM »

Greetings from Virginia(for the moment). Longtime kite flyer here, purchased an original Spinoff probably 30 years ago(still have it), but I am only an occasional flyer, mainly when the wind blows hard. When I bought the Spinoff, stunt kites were a new thing, and all my friends thought I was crazy, spending >$100 for a kite. Huh

I just acquired an old Flexifoil that doesn't have any ferrules for the spar. Also one of the tapered, tip spars is a little shorter than the other (36 vs 34 5/8). My questions:

1. Where do I get ferrules, and what material(brass?), and size(looks like 5/16)?
2. Is the tip length discrepancy normal? If not, is it usable? If not usable, where to get replacements/substitutes?

Any other tips/tricks you have for this great old kite will be appreciated.

I also got a Symphony 1.8 with the Flexi, and it looks like the wind might be blowing outside!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:26 AM »

i wonder if the ferrule is missing because the rod broke at the edge of the ferrule...
a Flexifoil ferrule is about 4" long and half of that might make up for the missing bit....
Can you grab a picture?
You can call a local kite shop, or one of these listed here on the right hand side of the forum and ask if they have a flexi ferrule on hand....the ferrule should be ~4-6$ or so.....
you might also be able to purchase a rod set that would replace the entire set with new rods....that is a bit more $$$

Welcome!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Hammer

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 02:42 PM »

In the photo the top two are the tip spars, and the unseen ends are even. You can see where the ferrules have been contacting the spars. The bottom, shorter spar ends right at the point that the end of the ferrule contacts the top spar, so you may be right, it could have been broken there. It also is a little rougher, and less "square" on the end.

On the bottom, shorter spar, you can see where the ferrule has been in contact with it, so I suppose it has been used like this.

The only place I can find "official Flexifoil parts" is Cobrakites, and they are for a Stacker Pro 8. They have the tip spars ($26), and the ferrules($5) I assume these would work. Does anyone know?

Could I make ferrules from Carbon, or fiberglass tubing, if I can find the correct size? If I do, could I make them a little longer, and add a spacer, glued inside the ferrule to give me a little additional length, and to save $26. I believe the standard ferrules are brass.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Hammer

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 02:50 PM »

Thanks for the reply Zeke, I was typing while you responded. I checked the sponsors, and didn't see any Flexi parts, or any generic ferrules of  the size I need.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 03:32 PM »

Cobra kites is a great shop...in fact the owner Ray Merry is the original designer of the flexi you have.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 04:06 PM »

I pulling out my flexfoil. I have some info in a hour.
CrankyThunder
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 05:04 PM »

Hey Hammer:

If you cannot find it on the cobra kite web site, give them a call they will get you flying again, good shop.

I have a few flexifoils and some spare parts although I am in the gathering mode a and always keep an eye out for 10 foot flexifoil parts.  As you can probably tell, I like flying the flexifoils.  I can tell you from personal experience that the spars will break right at the feruls when they dig in flying close to the ground at high speed and also the sail will wear out quickly if not tuned correctly for the wind.  I have picked up replacement feruls by googling feruls so they are not hard to find.  When you get on the cobra kite website, make sure you look up the tips and trics for flexifoils and they have a page for tuning them as well. 

Regards,
CRankster
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 06:07 PM »

Longtime kite flyer here, purchased an original Spinoff probably 30 years ago(still have it),
Still have mine too. plus another 4 kites bags worth of goodies.

I just acquired an old Flexifoil that doesn't have any ferrules for the spar. Also one of the tapered, tip spars is a little shorter than the other (36 vs 34 5/8). My questions:

1. Where do I get ferrules, and what material(brass?), and size(looks like 5/16)?
2. Is the tip length discrepancy normal? If not, is it usable? If not usable, where to get replacements/substitutes?

I'm guessing it will still fly becuase by the wear on the shorten spar. The question is how well Roll Eyes

The flexs tips extend out about 1" on each side. So your shorten spar lenght may cramp the sail during flight. Ask when you contact Cobra kites.

I measued the spars as .310 in size. The original ferrules were brass with .315 as the ID and .400 OD
Pm sent on possible line on ferrules.

I also got a Symphony 1.8 with the Flexi, and it looks like the wind might be blowing outside!
You should enjoy both the Symphony and Flexfoil as they are to nery different beasts.

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+83)

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 10:59 PM »

Ah, good ol' Flexifoils.  I have a few myself.  Wink

Is this a 8' or 10'?  I'm not sure that was mentioned.  I can compare spar lengths if you need.  It does sound like one of your end sections was broken previously as they should be the same length.

Ferrules for the Stacker (6'), Pro-Team (8') and Super 10 (10') were all the same.  I may even have an extra if you're not able to source any.

You might check the kite with the spars assembled to see how it fits.  As was mentioned, if the ends stick out ~1" or so with the LE taut you're good.  Although unlikely, it may be that someone possibly shortened it on purpose?  I've noticed there are sometimes slight size differences in sail sizes among the same size.  Something made 25 years ago probably won't be the same as a more modern Flexi, etc.

thanks,
  Mike

The only place I can find "official Flexifoil parts" is Cobrakites, and they are for a Stacker Pro 8. They have the tip spars ($26), and the ferrules($5) I assume these would work. Does anyone know?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:07 PM by Smeagol » Logged
rob103
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:05 AM »

At the end of last season I bought a half dozen ferrules and a bag (10) of tips and (10) rubbers ( used to be o rings) now little balls. The new ferrules are  much slicker than the originals, they don't separate in flight. Flexifoil uk was the source, they did not even charge me shipping (but I think that was a fluke). I tried several diy ferrule solutions and each broke or bent.
Stack 3 or 4 of those bad boys up for big fun! Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum